DJI Mavic Mini SDK coming April 2020!!! (Active Track, Follow Me!)
16477 32 2020-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Below is a translated article from an Italian Website: Quadricottero News (link below) which says that DJI to release the SDK for Mavic Mini April 2020

https://www.quadricottero.com/2020/01/dji-mavic-mini-in-arrivo-lsdk-per.html

Una delle funzionalità mancanti sul drone DJI Mavic Mini è quella dell'active track e del follow me. Un'altra mancanza è quella della possibilità di programmare unvolo a waypoint. Anche il fatto che il il Mavic Mini non supporta i DJI Goggles o altri visori FPV sta creando un certo disappunto presso gli utilizzatori di questo mini drone che per molti versi ha caratteristiche rivoluzionarie pesando meno di 250 grammi. Queste ed altre funzionalità potrebbero essere aggiunte presto tramite app di terze parti come Litchi ed altre, eventualmente anche autoprodotte da chi possiede le opportune conoscenze di programmazione, grazie al rilascio dell' SDK che la DJI ha annunciato entro fine aprile 2020.

Translation:
One of the missing features on the DJI Mavic Mini drone is that of the active track and follow me. Another shortcoming is the possibility of planning a waypoint flight. Even the fact that the Mavic Mini does not support DJI Goggles or other FPV viewers is creating some disappointment among the users of this mini drone which in many ways has revolutionary features weighing less than 250 grams. These and other features could be added soon via third-party apps such as Litchi and others, possibly also self-produced by those who have the appropriate programming knowledge,
thanks to the release of the SDK that DJI announced by the end of April 2020.

2020-2-27
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

I'm pretty curious what Third Party Developers are able to offer.

One question about this: What happens if I use Litchi and the Drone does some unwanted things (because of software/hardware Bugs)?
Is it our of warranty then?
2020-2-27
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

So it will only be available through a third party app? I don't think DJI support third party apps.
2020-2-27
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Mizzu Posted at 2-27 23:51

One question about this: What happens if I use Litchi and the Drone does some unwanted things (because of software/hardware Bugs)?

it will obviously not be covered by warranty, it will be "pilot" error where an automated third-party software was the pilot
2020-2-28
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Lucas775 Posted at 2-27 23:52
So it will only be available through a third party app? I don't think DJI support third party apps.

you can already use Litchi with other DJI drones
2020-2-28
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

Ice_2k Posted at 2-28 01:09
it will obviously not be covered by warranty, it will be "pilot" error where an automated third-party software was the pilot

Well but what about when you can clearly identify an error caused by hardware?
2020-2-28
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Mizzu Posted at 2-28 01:35
Well but what about when you can clearly identify an error caused by hardware?

in theory I would agree with you. Hardware/firmware issues should be covered by DJI. But on the other hand, look at the tens of uncommanded descent situations reported by users with logs clearly showing the Mini descending without user input and DJI simply replies to the user "pilot error, it was too windy, here's a 5% discount on a new drone" or some other lame excuse like that. I would imagine using the SDK will only add to their arsenal of excuses and blaming the third-party software will be perfect for them.
I really hope I'm wrong but their handling of the latest Mini issues really dented my trust in this company. I write software for a living and there are obviously situations when you have unhappy customers that run into some issue that got through your testing procedures and it would never occur to me to simply blame the customer, especially when you have dozens of them reporting the exact same thing.
2020-2-28
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

Mizzu Posted at 2-27 23:51

What would be the guarantee for drones lost in the water now? I am still waiting for the answer from DJI for mine, perhaps it is at the level of many objects produced in China
2020-2-28
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

Ice_2k Posted at 2-28 01:50
in theory I would agree with you. Hardware/firmware issues should be covered by DJI. But on the other hand, look at the tens of uncommanded descent situations reported by users with logs clearly showing the Mini descending without user input and DJI simply replies to the user "pilot error, it was too windy, here's a 5% discount on a new drone" or some other lame excuse like that. I would imagine using the SDK will only add to their arsenal of excuses and blaming the third-party software will be perfect for them.
I really hope I'm wrong but their handling of the latest Mini issues really dented my trust in this company. I write software for a living and there are obviously situations when you have unhappy customers that run into some issue that got through your testing procedures and it would never occur to me to simply blame the customer, especially when you have dozens of them reporting the exact same thing.

Hm, yeah, I guess you're right with all the blaming-debacle. We will hopefully see/read what the other pilots will get and if DJI doesn't care about money or doesn't care about upset customers. ;)

And actually I'm not sure if any company can handle angry customers very long, especially when the competition doesn't sleep and gets better and better as well.
To be honest, if my Mini will do some weird stuff like the unexplainable things i read here sometimes and it will suicide itself because of this and I will be told by  DJI that it was my fault, I'm done with their products.
They shouldn't rest and rely on their reputation, something like this can break your neck very quickly.
I'm already upset with the Osmo Action and I don't hope that the same will happen with the Mini.

2020-2-28
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Italy

The interesting option would be the ability to add DJI Fly add-ins by extending the options.
An SDK that makes the software APIs available forcing the rewriting of the entire app is limiting.
2020-2-28
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

We have already discussed the news about the SDK release in April more than a month ago, as well as the response of Litchi developers that they are ready to optimize the application as soon as the SDK is released....
2020-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Spoke to litchi last November, also dji announced SDK would be released, I’m not sure litchi will introduce all of what OP is looking for, most of there parameters are based around djis with the one exception of  waypoints, which is by far where they excel, so hopefully soon.

With regards to using Litchi or any other third party app, your warranty is not Void, if you read your warranty correctly it will only be Null and Void if you have a crash as a direct result of using a third party app . So in simple terms, if you crash using third party app as a result of craft malfunction, you should still be able to obtain your warranty, however it’s important to note that although dji have considered logs from litchi, it’s there policy not to evaluate on the basis of litchi logs, so important from warranty and care refresh that if your unfortunate enough to crash that you retrieve your drone to back up your case. Just saying.

2020-2-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looking forward to being able to use waypoints.  Based on Hallmark007's reply from Litchi it sure appears that they are ready, willing and able to commence development as soon as the SDK is released.  
2020-2-28
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

Alevpi Posted at 2-28 03:06
We have already discussed the news about the SDK release in April more than a month ago, as well as the response of Litchi developers that they are ready to optimize the application as soon as the SDK is released....

You are absolutely correct, I did search before starting this thread, but must have missed it. Odd though that if folks know the SDK release is coming, that there are still so many folks that don’t realize that many of the features they want, may be coming soon.

As one of my other posts said, I was waiting to jump in to buy a mini, but was reluctant without Follow Me, ( and such a basic feature to add). Now that I know it’s coming, I am definitely going shopping next Month... my Bday is in March, and maybe DJI has a surprise coupon gift for me and will include the Mini  as current BDay coupons do not seem to apply to the Mini... fingers crossed!
2020-2-28
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

Bassboat Posted at 2-28 04:42
You are absolutely correct, I did search before starting this thread, but must have missed it. Odd though that if folks know the SDK release is coming, that there are still so many folks that don’t realize that many of the features they want, may be coming soon.

As one of my other posts said, I was waiting to jump in to buy a mini, but was reluctant without Follow Me, ( and such a basic feature to add). Now that I know it’s coming, I am definitely going shopping next Month... my Bday is in March, and maybe DJI has a surprise coupon gift for me and will include the Mini  as current BDay coupons do not seem to apply to the Mini... fingers crossed!

In Russia, there is a saying " to Promise does not mean to do!"
2020-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bassboat Posted at 2-28 04:42

As one of my other posts said, I was waiting to jump in to buy a mini, but was reluctant without Follow Me, ( and such a basic feature to add). Now that I know it’s coming, I am definitely going shopping next Month... my Bday is in March, and maybe DJI has a surprise coupon gift for me and will include the Mini  as current BDay coupons do not seem to apply to the Mini... fingers crossed!

Buy dji Select, you’ll get 5% birthday discount also half price care refresh plus many accessories 20% discount, cost $49 so lots of savings

https://store.dji.com/select
2020-2-28
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

Click Bait!!!

Not from Missouri,  but SHOW ME!!!
2020-2-28
Use props
Bassboat
lvl.1

Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2-28 05:11
Buy dji Select, you’ll get 5% birthday discount also half price care refresh plus many accessories 20% discount, cost $49 so lots of savings

https://store.dji.com/select

Unfortunately this does not help with my initial purchase of Mini, as to get the  DJI select you need to first purchase a drone. But good to keep in mind if I buy from DJI store
2020-2-28
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-28 08:33
I would remain cautious though until DJI resolves the uncommanded descent issues.

the thing that really worries me is DJI is not ackowledging the issue, they are even refusing warranty to some of the people getting this... are we sure there’s anybody at DJI actually looking into this issue?...
2020-2-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Bassboat. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us regarding the future release of the SDK for the DJI Mavic Mini. The Mavic Mini is expected to support SDK in April 2020, including WSDK, MSDKA. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you for your support.
2020-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-28 08:33
All depends on whether you can recover the drone.  Flying with Litchi you won't have the normal on-device logs or ability to sync your logs with the DJI servers.  If you recover the drone, the on-board flight logs will be available for DJI to examine & determine if the fault lies with the hardware or sloppy mission programming by the operator.   If the fault is determined to be a hardware or firmware issue with the Mini, within the warranty period, you are probably fine.  If the cause is with Litchi, faulty mission programming, or indeterminate, then you are likely not covered & on your own.  

I can tell you with over 1000 Litchi missions I have yet to lose a bird while executing a waypoint mission.    I would remain cautious though until DJI resolves the uncommanded descent issues.

I have to say I don’t think I have ever seen a crash caused by any app in all the time I’ve been flying, I think most don’t realize dji don’t warranty their own app and clearly tell you in the manual Not to depend on it .
2020-2-28
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

Besides programing waypoint and follow me tracking, can Litchi enable RAW photo capabilities? I mean, I think DJI will eventually make raw photos available, but in case it doesn't, does having access to the SDK means having access to the camera capabilities also?
2020-2-28
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Italy

Litchi is still paid, I would prefer to be able to insert other functions or options within DJI Fly.
2020-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

andrei193 Posted at 2-28 12:18
Besides programing waypoint and follow me tracking, can Litchi enable RAW photo capabilities? I mean, I think DJI will eventually make raw photos available, but in case it doesn't, does having access to the SDK means having access to the camera capabilities also?

I think litchi may not introduce AT , it remains to be seen .
2020-2-28
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 2-28 01:12
you can already use Litchi with other DJI drones

I know you can use Litchi, but what ever happens with your drone while flying with Litchi app DJI won't cover any warranty issues.
2020-2-28
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2-28 20:03
I know you can use Litchi, but what ever happens with your drone while flying with Litchi app DJI won't cover any warranty issues.

That was all explained by DirtyBird in post #19.
2020-2-28
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-28 21:05
That was all explained by DirtyBird in post #19.

Well said DirtyBird.  It wouldn't hurt to read about it again.
2020-2-29
Use props
DrewAdkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1216867 ft
United States

I can't wait.
2020-3-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

However limited is, I cannot wait to see what it delivers!
2020-3-7
Use props
Akirasho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 3-7 12:18
However limited is, I cannot wait to see what it delivers!

… GPS guided butt scratches?

2020-3-7
Use props
jerrymerchand
New

United States

I'm very interested in the SDK release. Is there somewhere I can get the documentation on the SDK now? What i'm looking to do is integrate the DJI software date from photos and video files to other applications and to use some advance capabilities like being able to determine size of a roof of a house based on photos and flight path etc.
2020-3-11
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

jerrymerchand@gmail.com Posted at 3-11 01:30
I'm very interested in the SDK release. Is there somewhere I can get the documentation on the SDK now? What i'm looking to do is integrate the DJI software date from photos and video files to other applications and to use some advance capabilities like being able to determine size of a roof of a house based on photos and flight path etc.

the magic of google

https://developer.dji.com/
2020-3-11
Use props
Jerry25
New

United States

Thanks for the link Ice_2k! Do you know if you can use either Swift5 or ObjC for coding for the iPhone (iOS)? I'm assuming both.
2020-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules