2685 32 2020-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Wife bought me a new DJI Mini for Christmas 2019 after I hinted that I might like a drone with which to play. I am 72 years old and sometimes I do feel like a kid. I was delighted to see that she actually listened to my whining ;-) After a few bad starts at learning it, I was successful at making a few 100 ft high photos of the area where we live. It was amazing to me. Now I saw at altitude the mouth of the river where we live and the surrounding area, a view never seen by us. For some reason we felt like there was more reason for our place here after seeing the perspective of a simple drone photo. I guess it sounds silly, but for us, it was important.
I will try to make more suitable videos to share in the future, but nothing I can do will be able to compete with the fascinating videos posted by the gifted members here, but I may try anyway ;-) Many thanks for making this forum possible.

Mouth of the Anclote River 90pct.jpg
2020-2-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12477300 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great picture Gary!

And....keep the kid alive in you.

cheers
JJB
2020-2-28
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Lovely view, well done!
2020-2-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks guys, it means a lot.
2020-2-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Gary,

Welcome aboard!  Nice shot.  Your words ring true to all of us.  BTW, a great many of us are in your age group and flying for the first time to, so we really enjoy your comments.  You must live on Mickler Lane or the last finger of Riverside Avenue.  Nice area.  I have friends down in Clearwater.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-2-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2-28 00:56
Aloha Gary,

Welcome aboard!  Nice shot.  Your words ring true to all of us.  BTW, a great many of us are in your age group and flying for the first time to, so we really enjoy your comments.  You must live on Mickler Lane or the last finger of Riverside Avenue.  Nice area.  I have friends down in Clearwater.

Wow, you must know the area intimately...or have excellent investigative skills ;-) Thanks very much.
2020-2-28
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Good shot there Gary.  Only thing that change as we grow older, is the price of our toys.......
2020-2-28
Use props
Gelert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great shot
2020-2-28
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Very nice... and the upper left corner description is much appreciated. Details make a difference!
2020-2-28
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Lovely shot Gary and welcome from a fellow MM owner!! Since your living in Florida, outside Tampa, perhaps you could do us all a favour and fly your MM along the Tamiami trail? Maybe a range test? As long as you video it!!!! Have fun!!
2020-2-28
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think you mean Christmas 2019 but enjoy the new drone - great to start out on by the look of it.
2020-2-28
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Beautiful words and story GaryDoug.
In this world we live where people, specially young generations all they do is take vain selfies and show off without thinking, some things are truly humbling, like your post here. Thanks!

I'm exactly half your age, but I understand 100% your feeling.
I was thinking about leaving the area I live for a while, and after flying my first tests and pictures,I learnt to love it again, nothing like a bird view!
Happy flying!
2020-2-28
Use props
Hallmark777
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job, first of many, beautiful area to live in .
2020-2-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hahahaha!
You have a lovingly wife
Nice shot!
2020-2-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice shot Gary.    Many thanks for your words and for sharing this shot.
2020-2-28
Use props
amferreira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

I am 60 yo and I enjoy my drone. The Mini isn't my first drone but I have been flying more with it for the past 4 month that with my previous drones all together.

Happy flying.
2020-2-28
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

Gary beautiful shot, Im’65 I started with planes at 16 got my first drone at 62 enjoyed it was a Fader drone from Marlboro got it free. Bought a Mini and totally enjoy it. Thanks for posting and enjoy your Mini! Welcome to the Mini Club!
2020-2-28
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

That is a beautiful shot. Thanks for sharing.
2020-2-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day GaryDoug. Thank you for sharing these information with us your valued insights and this wonderful photo you have captured. It is great to know that you are enjoying flying your DJI Mavic Mini. Just a reminder to please fly carefully and please be aware of the drone's altitude when flying above water. It is not recommended to fly the aircraft close to the water. When flying above the water, the vision system of the said drone  will turn off automatically, if the vision system is affected an accident might happen. Thank you and please fly safe always..
2020-2-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice shot
2020-2-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-28 09:58
Hello and good day GaryDoug. Thank you for sharing these information with us your valued insights and this wonderful photo you have captured. It is great to know that you are enjoying flying your DJI Mavic Mini. Just a reminder to please fly carefully and please be aware of the drone's altitude when flying above water. It is not recommended to fly the aircraft close to the water. When flying above the water, the vision system of the said drone  will turn off automatically, if the vision system is affected an accident might happen. Thank you and please fly safe always..

I'm aware that was probably a "canned" answer but the Mini was not actually over water when that shot was taken. I wasn't quite brave enough just yet ;-)

Thanks for everyone's response. You are all very kind. That photo was the very first useful one I took a few days after Christmas. I know it isn't that great, but they will get better.
2020-2-28
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is awesome Gary, glad you are thriving new things even at the young age.  Happy flying.
2020-2-28
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I've pinpointed your MM position on Gmap: https://goo.gl/maps/jAiq8URQhQSTrewbA (just to see how far inland it was).

Curious fact: if you turn the view from 3D to 2D in Google Maps and vice versa you can spot the small (apparently) wooden colored pier in the bottom center part of the image was different when the two images were recorded.

Great view

20200123_113504.jpg
anclote_river_view.JPG
2020-2-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

m80116 Posted at 2-29 02:35
I've pinpointed your MM position on Gmap: https://goo.gl/maps/jAiq8URQhQSTrewbA (just to see how far inland it was).

Curious fact: if you turn the view from 3D to 2D in Google Maps and vice versa you can spot the small (apparently) wooden colored pier in the bottom center part of the image was different when the two images were recorded.

Yes, it is from another year before the dock was replaced about one year ago. You nailed the position to within about 10 feet. I flew the Mini up between a few trees until it was above them.
2020-2-29
Use props
red squirrel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55610 ft
United States

Nice photo!  I feel exactly the same way.  I’ve taken my mini out to places I’ve been hundreds, if not thousands of times before and the fresh perspective from up high is exhilarating!
2020-2-29
Use props
winkiel82
First Officer
Flight distance : 4502303 ft
Poland

Nicely done.
2020-3-1
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

Hello Garry, just to let you know that I am new to drones as well and it really does feel like the MM opened a new set of vision for me. Fly on!
2020-3-2
Use props
Hawkeye Photography
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1444895 ft
United States

Amazing picture, my Mini still surprises me with the amount of shear power it has in photography.
2020-3-11
Use props
HurleyBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

nice start to your new hobby.
2020-3-11
Use props
Mortensldk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 132592 ft
Denmark

Great shot
2020-3-11
Use props
Drone Diver
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11982 ft
Japan

Wow I hope you get some amazing golden moments in your golden years
2020-3-12
Use props
Cobra_rc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 826417 ft
United States

Nice photo, Gary. It's what I like the most - another point of view.
I have MM for a short time, but I have been flying FPV (with planes only) probably for 18 years. Just looking from the sky, even for already known places, is what I like the most.
Keep it up!

2020-3-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Cobra, you summed it up very well.
2020-3-13
Use props
Jim_H
lvl.3
Flight distance : 787152 ft
Malaysia

Keep it going, very happy to know people like you using MM at your golden age!
Enjoy!
2020-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules