572 17 2020-2-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you have immaculate orbits as you just send it out and hold the stick?  There is no need to yaw control variability w/ the slide speed, therefore, making it a superior method of choice?
2020-2-29
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Ant,

Years ago, I played with the PAN and Orbit maneuvers.  I made a PAN stick for fun;

With the stick I was able to fly this exercise;

Hope this Helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-1 02:14
Aloha Ant,

Years ago, I played with the PAN and Orbit maneuvers.  I made a PAN stick for fun;

amazing workaround for a static pan

I was looking for for an orbit like this though.
2020-3-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I tried it once with my P2.  In theory it will do a perfect circle, but in reality the circle wasn't perfect - I had to keep adjusting it.  When I was done, it was a pretty ugly circle.  I think centrifugal force makes it want to push out slightly.  Maybe the P3/4 does a better job...
2020-3-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members here in Forum. Thank you for your continued support!
2020-3-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 3-1 03:25
amazing workaround for a static pan

I was looking for for an orbit like this though.

Aloha Ant,

If you went back to three or four years ago when the Intelligent Flight Modes were first introduced, you would find that I posted a few times that a standard Orbit around a Point of Interest (POI) could be used to create an extremely precise, computer generated PAN.  You could do this (and you still can), by creating an Orbit or POI flight and then rather than point the camera down at the point, instead point the camera straight across.  The PAN is rock solid and the white line record of the flight shows a very precise circle.  Try it, very cool.

The PAN Stick can do the same thing but in reverse and you control the speed of the orbit with the right stick and the angle down with the gimbal wheel.  Next best thing to the computer generated Intelligent Flight Mode - POI.  But a review of the flight white line record may show less than a perfect circle due to operator skill limitations.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-1 14:16
Aloha Ant,

If you went back to three or four years ago when the Intelligent Flight Modes were first introduced, you would find that I posted a few times that a standard Orbit around a Point of Interest (POI) could be used to create an extremely precise, computer generated PAN.  You could do this (and you still can), by creating an Orbit or POI flight and then rather than point the camera down at the point, instead point the camera straight across.  The PAN is rock solid and the white line record of the flight shows a very precise circle.  Try it, very cool.

Yeah, but if you look at the center orbit, even using POI, it's going to move and is never ever perfect.  Even if you set a look at POI for an orbit, the computer never it smoothly.  It will be off slightly in the left or right direction.  I've tried with gimbal yaw follow on and off.

The look at POI when using DJI GS Pilot is also unsteady.  If you do an Activetrack for an Orbit, that also isn't perfect.  I think the only closest to perfection orbit I've seen personally, is the Skydio 2 but you cannot Orbit super far, only close.
2020-3-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 3-1 21:20
Yeah, but if you look at the center orbit, even using POI, it's going to move and is never ever perfect.  Even if you set a look at POI for an orbit, the computer never it smoothly.  It will be off slightly in the left or right direction.  I've tried with gimbal yaw follow on and off.

The look at POI when using DJI GS Pilot is also unsteady.  If you do an Activetrack for an Orbit, that also isn't perfect.  I think the only closest to perfection orbit I've seen personally, is the Skydio 2 but you cannot Orbit super far, only close.

Aloha Ant,

The P3 Pro and Advanced make really perfect circles for their POI.  It is truly amazing.  The P4 Pro POI is not as good as the P3 Pro and Advanced POI and it shows in the white path in the flight record.  I have not tried a POI with my Mavic Air, so I do not know how well the Mavic Air does a POI.

Your pursuit of perfection in Orbits and PANs is what drives creative endeavors.  What have you been able to produce?  You indicated in Post #4 that you had an orbit to show but it did not post.  Can you post it now?

For some reason, DJI was not able to get the other platforms to make POI circles as well as the P3 Pro and Advanced are able to do.  But, there are a lot of things the P3 Pro and Advanced do that are very nice.  My P3 Pro is probably closest to my heart of all my birds.  We have been through a lot together.

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-1 22:51
Aloha Ant,

The P3 Pro and Advanced make really perfect circles for their POI.  It is truly amazing.  The P4 Pro POI is not as good as the P3 Pro and Advanced POI and it shows in the white path in the flight record.  I have not tried a POI with my Mavic Air, so I do not know how well the Mavic Air does a POI.

I had made a bunch but deleted as there was no point in keeping them.

Download this as the stream isn't good on Google.
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... mgBR1Uy_krIg0GDMUiI

The orbits aren't bad of course but I'm saying the orbit from the direct center isn't entirely accurate.  Maybe if I had DJI GS Pro do a tap circle POI it would be better but I haven't tried it yet.  I just try doing a POI from a random arc making a random flight path just to see what would happen but it's not smooth so I assume it wouldn't be accurate.

The POI circle is definitely good but it doesn't yaw lock like I want.
2020-3-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nope.
It is not stable enough when I rotate the drone.
(not smooth)
2020-3-2
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-2 01:01
Nope.
It is not stable enough when I rotate the drone.
(not smooth)

When I want to have some orbit shots.  I just fly around naturally and it seems to work out.
2020-3-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I think most people don't understand you can use home lock to do orbits.  
2020-3-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

AntDX316 Posted at 3-2 07:53
When I want to have some orbit shots.  I just fly around naturally and it seems to work out.

Yeah, I do that too all the time!
2020-3-2
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 3-2 11:01
I think most people don't understand you can use home lock to do orbits.

Is it reliable?
2020-3-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I already described my experience with it above.  See post 5
2020-3-2
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 3-2 12:38
I already described my experience with it above.  See post 5

So it's not perfect either.  Most likely because of the wind.
2020-3-2
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 3-2 00:53
I had made a bunch but deleted as there was no point in keeping them.

Download this as the stream isn't good on Google.

Aloha Ant,

The steam from the chimney on the apartment building next to the job site for the first two minutes indicates light and variable winds, nearly ideal conditions.   Your orbit is about as good as you can get with our technology.  BTW, a POIstick provides a YAWlock, but it is still seat of the pants (and easy to make).

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-2
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-2 14:18
Aloha Ant,

The steam from the chimney on the apartment building next to the job site for the first two minutes indicates light and variable winds, nearly ideal conditions.   Your orbit is about as good as you can get with our technology.  BTW, a POIstick provides a YAWlock, but it is still seat of the pants (and easy to make).

I was heavy into aerial work but it's quite boring.  Call of Duty MW multiplayer w/ people is far more interesting now.  : )
2020-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules