Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focus stacking feature needed.
12Next >
3957 51 2020-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

We need an automatic focus stacking feature like w/ pano.  This way we can have everything sharp in post.

Driving higher f/stop isn't viable as the ISO has to be raised or the shutter duration which is bad for obvious reasons.

We need it in a firmware update for all the drones that have an MF feature.  Preferrable 5 images or more for super sharpness.

edit: Post #21 has the originals and the stacked image. and look at Post #26
2020-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AntDX316. Thank you for sharing these information and your insights with regards to this matter. I will cascade this information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Again thank you for your support and fly safe always.
2020-3-3
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

Why on earth would you want focus stacking when at the optimum apertures every single thing over about 6ft away is at infinity focus and sharpness?
2020-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 3-5 21:38
Why on earth would you want focus stacking when at the optimum apertures every single thing over about 6ft away is at infinity focus and sharpness?

Because he's an idiot with no real knowledge of photography or drones?
He's just heard of focus stacking, so he has to post about it.
2020-3-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Labroides Posted at 3-5 21:55
Why on earth would you want focus stacking when at the optimum apertures every single thing over about 6ft away is at infinity focus and sharpness?

Too late ... This another brilliant idea of AntDX316 will be cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention and implementation. We will get focus stacking feature soon, no doubt.
2020-3-5
Use props
Gelert
Captain
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why on earth would you want focus stacking when at the optimum apertures every single thing over about 6ft away is at infinity focus and sharpness?

2020-3-6
Use props
Gelert
Captain
Flight distance : 2063238 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-5 22:22
Too late ... This another brilliant idea of AntDX316 will be cascaded to the designated DJI department for further attention and implementation. We will get focus stacking feature soon, no doubt.

2020-3-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 3-5 21:38

It's not edge-to-edge, corner-to-corner sharp as it can be when you start stacking up, close to far images together in photoshop.  Load files into stack and align > Auto-blend layers after selecting the layers on the bottom right.  If you don't stack enough images such as the stack between far and close is too far with bokeh, you will have that blur be part of the images which is bad.  If you stack like crazy w/ say an f/1.8 500 times you can get and epic image which they do for macro.

An ideal should be at least 3, but preferably 5.  If we can go all the way to 10 it can be the best as if you set all the way to infinity or super close, you can still get blur.  When I did the test of 3 photos, I was fixated something all the way on the bottom right, middle, and upper right but not the sky then stacked them.  The all-around sharpness is like no other.  The only downside is the time it takes to do it.
2020-3-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

You seem to have confused focus with sharpness, optical issues and circle of confusion.  They're not the same thing.
Focus stacking is not going to have any effect on that at all as on a standard drone flight *everything* is at infinity focus.

Stacking multiple images is a way of reducing noise or increasing apparent detail but its a totally different thing to focus stacking and ultimately you're limited by pixel size, optical qualities of the lens and CoC.

Nothing to do with focus stacking.  Everything is in focus.

You need focus stacking for macro because everything is very close to the lens, at quite a large focal length where the depth of field is tiny.  You cannot possibly get the whole scene in focus at once.
Thats nothing to do with a wide angle drone which has a small sensor and every subject is at infinity.
2020-3-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

How are you planning on using that?
Focus stacking is only useful in static environments (where nothing changes in between shots)
2020-3-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 3-5 22:22

He’s hit the self destruct button again,  ;+):::::
2020-3-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 3-6 05:13
You seem to have confused focus with sharpness, optical issues and circle of confusion.  They're not the same thing.
Focus stacking is not going to have any effect on that at all as on a standard drone flight *everything* is at infinity focus.

If anyone says stacking doesn't work clearly hasn't done test or test correctly.  It 100% works, at least when using Photoshop 2020.

The only thing you have to do after is crop out the lack of sharpness around the edges so the image requires up a 5% crop in, in all directions?  I can't stand the lack of edge-to-edge sharpness.  If you are using a Sigma 14mm f/1.8 at f/11 or f/13, you have 100% corner-to-corner sharpness with no lens distortion compensation in anyway and no distortion.  It cheats though as I think the focal length gets narrower a bit so I'm not sure if 14mm is retained.

I ran the tests but deleted.. nope you guys are in luck I have it including the originals. and look at Post #26
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xRZDyJ6WhNg_7pVhRaF1s9QObVkBhWtL
2020-3-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-6 05:59
How are you planning on using that?
Focus stacking is only useful in static environments (where nothing changes in between shots)

See the file in post #21
2020-3-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-6 14:47
He’s hit the self destruct button again,  ;+):::::

See the file in post #21
2020-3-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

See the file in post #21
2020-3-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-3 12:56
Hello and good day AntDX316. Thank you for sharing these information and your insights with regards to this matter. I will cascade this information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Again thank you for your support and fly safe always.

See the file in post #21 to see more of what I mean.
2020-3-6
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The file didn't work before for some reason.  I've updated it that it does work.

Just updated it 6:32pm 3/6/2020.  I didn't check my files to see if it's done right.  It's done right now I think lol.  At least it's corner-to-corner sharp, and that is what I want people to see.

You have to download the files and open them in MSPaint and zoom out to see the true sharpness.  Do like in this picture and hold left ctrl+mouse wheel down 2 times or just once to see the maximum quality.

30.png
2020-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

We need an automatic focus stacking feature like w/ pano.
We don't need an automatic focus stacking feature like w/ pano.  
If you want to play sillybuggars with attempts to focus stack, you can do it.

This way we can have everything sharp in post.

I manage to have everything sharp without playing games with cumbersome and unnecessary techniques.
2020-3-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Thailand

You still don't understand what focus stacking is, does or what its used for.
Nothing you've posted is anything to do with focus stacking.
Edge to edge sharpness is nothing to do with focus.

Focus stacking a series of images where every single part is at infinity focus achieves nothing from a focus point of view.   

Again you;re using layer blending to achieve a different effect which is nothing to do with variable focus.
2020-3-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Hello AntDx316, you would need more than 5-images to do Focus stacking to really increase Depth of Field.  

To create a virtual image that appears to have been taken say using a lens set to f/22, when it was actually taken using numerous image with a lens set to f/1.2

Default fault focus-stacking on my camera is a 100 images.  Seen people use less, seen people use lot more.

When it comes to lens edge softness, aberrations, and distortions, really is a matter of Lens quality, and to some degree available correction filter for lens.  Some software programs like DXO Photolab, Lightroom, ON1 Raw have correction filters for professional lens, and popular semi-professional lens.

2020-3-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 3-6 15:21
The file didn't work before for some reason.  I've updated it that it does work.

Just updated it 6:32pm 3/6/2020.  I didn't check my files to see if it's done right.  It's done right now I think lol.  At least it's corner-to-corner sharp, and that is what I want people to see.

You can of course focus bracket a photo, using 3/4 etc focus points and then blend in PS , I’m not sure if this is what your talking about. With some handheld cameras you can set manually focus points and shoot a series of photos you can later blend onto one photo.
Is this what you are trying to convey ?
2020-3-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-6 19:03
We need an automatic focus stacking feature like w/ pano.  
We don't need an automatic focus stacking feature like w/ pano.  
If you want to play sillybuggars with attempts to focus stack, you can do it.

Show your sharpest edge-to-edge picture to challenge.
2020-3-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 03:43
You can of course focus bracket a photo, using 3/4 etc focus points and then blend in PS , I’m not sure if this is what your talking about. With some handheld cameras you can set manually focus points and shoot a series of photos you can later blend onto one photo.
Is this what you are trying to convey ?

Other cameras can automate the process for you right?  Why not include that kind of one-touch automation on everything?
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 3-7 03:55
Other cameras can automate the process for you right?  Why not include that kind of one-touch automation on everything?

Yes my Fujix3 you can set to focus bracket manually or auto, in manual  you focus say at the point nearest you and shoot that point will be in focus and furthest point away will be soft, then focus to center point shoot etc etc, with auto you just set number of focus points you want camera to use and shoot, you then say you use 4 focus points and have 4 images of the same scene , you then need to blend these images in SW similar to PS.

Much of what your saying makes little sense to me like corner to corner .
I have seen some of Labroids work and it’s above excellent, if you want to know how to best get your images sharp then follow what he advice , you will find it pretty simple without complications, but do as he says not as you would think you would like him to say.
A few years ago he gave me very simple way to shoot panos telling me I would get better results than shooting auto, and he was right and I still shoot panos with this simple method .
2020-3-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 04:27
Yes my Fujix3 you can set to focus bracket manually or auto, in manual  you focus say at the point nearest you and shoot that point will be in focus and furthest point away will be soft, then focus to center point shoot etc etc, with auto you just set number of focus points you want camera to use and shoot, you then say you use 4 focus points and have 4 images of the same scene , you then need to blend these images in SW similar to PS.

Much of what your saying makes little sense to me like corner to corner .

I'm not going on word of mouth here.  I want to see some images presented.  You will not be able to match a good focus stacked blended image w/ a one shot on the DJI drones and if people's lives depended upon it then people should've listened to me.  It's just a waste of time going back and forth.  Show images, compare, move on.  This is one of the simplest things to clear.  If we get stuck here, we wouldn't be able to move on in the other advance areas.

I got into photography and videography because it can show us things that we would miss.  When you have tech working with you, that is reliable, works, and well-developed you can end up with changes that result in an awesome outcome.  When people film themselves on Youtube on how to control a motorcycle.  Well, I've copied it and didn't crash and I go really high-speed.  More than probably any of you would ever think about going.  Just replicate peak performance w/ evidence to back, figure out how it can work for us, and move on.  Every single time.  Not get stuck on methods that are considered obsolete.  It could suck as it feels sacred but it's either that or you get left behind, die, or worse in other areas of life.

I'm not stacking images when there are too many things on the move in frame.  I will just one shot and head to the next position.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 3-7 04:29
I'm not going on word of mouth here.  I want to see some images presented.  You will not be able to match a good focus stacked blended image w/ a one shot on the DJI drones and if people's lives depended upon it then people should've listened to me.  It's just a waste of time going back and forth.  Show images, compare, move on.  This is one of the simplest things to clear.  If we get stuck here, we wouldn't be able to move on in the other advance areas.

Again it’s very difficult because you’re either talking rubbish or it’s been lost in translation, nobody mentioned anything about a single image which incidentally your wrong about, what happens is your questions are a bit daft and you won’t listen to correct advice .
2020-3-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 04:34
Again it’s very difficult because you’re either talking rubbish or it’s been lost in translation, nobody mentioned anything about a single image which incidentally your wrong about, what happens is your questions are a bit daft and you won’t listen to correct advice .

Have the images be presented for comparison or, w/ all respect, stfu.
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 3-7 04:35

I’ve seen them, but if I was anyone else I’d be ignoring you, because you’re now being rude.
Good luck .
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 3-7 04:35

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=183686
2020-3-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The edges are blurry on the long end.  It's just masked by the object textures at the corners.  If you take pictures of homes, and vehicles that are in the corners they will not be sharp.

To actually get corner-to-corner sharpness in the photography world is the difference between a $300 lens and a $2k lens.  I'm just trying to share a workaround for automation that produces pretty much the same results.
2020-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-7 03:54
Show your sharpest edge-to-edge picture to challenge.

Show your IQ to challenge
2020-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 3-7 04:49
Focus stacked? Cropping the sides out that are blurry doesn't count.  I'm saying RAW off the camera sharp corner-to-corner. I mean, you will still have to crop but not as massively.

Your full of the brown word . You can’t get to the top of Everest without climbing , unless someone throws you out of a plane and that’s not beyond the realms.
2020-3-7
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-7 04:55
Your full of the brown word . You can’t get to the top of Everest without climbing , unless someone throws you out of a plane and that’s not beyond the realms.

That's not seeing the perspective correctly, but I understand the frustration.
2020-3-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Believe those claiming they get sharp pictures from their Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 drones, need to do a side by side comparison between their drone and comparable MegaPixel DSLR (or mirrorless) camera which has quality glass lens.  There is sharp, and there is Sharp.
Mavic drone images tend to be soft (aka not sharp).  Which is to be expected being good part of cost goes towards quad-copter platform, R.C., batteries, and charger.

Which leads me to wonder if Focus Stacking would do much good.  Being Mavic drone images are soft regardless of whether focused up close, mid-range, or near infinity.   Focus Stacking 5 soft images taken at different focus points, is going to result in virtual image that is overall soft from foreground to background.
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=183686

Well here’s the images with Mavic and M2, soft they’re not, but maybe those who think That DSLR in same price bracket can take sharper or better images then maybe they should post them, I can’t find any camera costing 1k that can do any better than what I see in above photos, it’s all very well comparing these with cameras that use lens costing 2/5 k but that would be ridiculous, compare apples with apples, those pictures in link above will compare to any camera costing 1k, but remember cameras take files photographers take pictures. I seen plenty of Sh#t photographs taken with gear costing a leg and an arm and plenty of great images taken with Mavic air.
Also something to remember, drone photography is very much in demand at the moment, and people are always happy to buy good drone photography.
And just so as you know, it’s now vogue to have some softness in photos, pin sharp is not so popular now using Gaussian blurs to soften photos is a much used tool in PS nowadays.

If your camera cannot take pictures like above then there is most likely something wrong with the photographer, but we’re all here to learn and improve.
2020-3-8
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

There is no such thing as corner-to-corner sharpness from a one shot with any DJI drone.  Even all the way to the max f/stop, in MF w/ DJI RE Goggles on, moving from closest for infinity will show some DOF.  Unless you are running f/13 or higher on an expensive lens, you will Not get corner-to-corner sharpness.  You will have blur somewhere and some of the spectacular one shot photos from drone aerials are done where that blurry area blends in w/ the texture of the environment.  There is no need to argue.  This is how it is.  You can get away with a pano shot then cropping in, cropping in, and/or blending focus stacked images together.
2020-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 3-8 05:10
There is no such thing as corner-to-corner sharpness from a one shot with any DJI drone.  Even all the way to the max f/stop, in MF w/ DJI RE Goggles on, moving from closest for infinity will show some DOF.  Unless you are running f/13 or higher on an expensive lens, you will Not get corner-to-corner sharpness.  You will have blur somewhere and some of the spectacular one shot photos from drone aerials are done where that blurry area blends in w/ the texture of the environment.  There is no need to argue.  This is how it is.  You can get away with a pano shot then cropping in, cropping in, and/or blending focus stacked images together.

I think you have much wrong here, only one arguing about that is you with yourself, and it quite amusing, your concept of photography is extremely off the charts, maybe post some photos you have finished, because you talk like a pro so I’m expecting some really good photos here.
2020-3-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

AntDX316 Posted at 3-6 15:17
See the file in post #21

It can be handy, but not too often with a drone.
I'd rather have them focus (no pun intended) on more important features.
Maybe AEB 5 sphere
And AEB 5 pano!
2020-3-8
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-8 05:18
I think you have much wrong here, only one arguing about that is you with yourself, and it quite amusing, your concept of photography is extremely off the charts, maybe post some photos you have finished, because you talk like a pro so I’m expecting some really good photos here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 8hP79vxHdHwolO-XnBO

No pano, no stack.
2020-3-8
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-8 05:46
It can be handy, but not too often with a drone.
I'd rather have them focus (no pun intended) on more important features.
Maybe AEB 5 sphere

5-AEB with pano is great of course but not with an ultra-wide lens.  The distortion is crazy.
2020-3-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules