immediate 71% - 0% emergency landing (repeat)
691 16 2020-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rbaxter3
lvl.1

United States

Hey Guys,

I'm very new to the drone world and I need your help and advice:

I picked up a Mavic Air not too long ago and probably have about 30 flights on it. Three times now, it has completed an emergency landing because the battery has dropped from a reasonable amount to 0% instantly. two of these three times, it left me with a very long walk for retrieval. It has done this on 3 different batteries, so I can't believe that is the issue......

I did a quick skim online and couldn't find anyone with the same issue as myself, so I'm counting on your help.

Here is my flight log for the most recent event: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SPQPPIZBN0KFN8J29X7T/

Any and all input would be appreciated. One day, this could cause me to lose my drone for good.

Thanks,
Riley Baxter

2020-3-3
Use props
Rbaxter3
lvl.1

United States

Ah, Here is the second of the three incidents: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/MJCMICK8HV5CH24Y2RTQ
2020-3-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Are you flying the drone in a cold location? This may affect the performance of the battery during flight. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-3-3
Use props
Rbaxter3
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-3 14:52
Hi. I am sorry for the the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Are you flying the drone in a cold location? This may affect the performance of the battery during flight. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

The first time it was fairly cold, around 45 degrees Fahrenheit  and the latest incident was in nice, sunny weather with no wind and a temp of around 60.
2020-3-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Rbaxter3 Posted at 3-3 15:37
The first time it was fairly cold, around 45 degrees Fahrenheit  and the latest incident was in nice, sunny weather with no wind and a temp of around 60.

Thank you for the additional information. With regards to this concern. Kindly please provide the serial number of the said battery via PM. Thank you.
2020-3-3
Use props
Rbaxter3
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-3 16:03
Thank you for the additional information. With regards to this concern. Kindly please provide the serial number of the said battery via PM. Thank you.

I’d love to, but I gotta be honest and say I can’t figure out how to PM
2020-3-3
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Were you using the same battery on all the flights?   If so, I would chuck it.
2020-3-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That battery is quite sick.
Look at the cell voltages and see how quickly they drop to 3.3 volts which is critical low voltage.
You shouldn't see that until towards the end of a long flight (and the individual cells' voltages should all be similar).

Don't fly with that battery.
2020-3-3
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-3 16:55
That battery is quite sick.
Look at the cell voltages and see how quickly they drop to 3.3 volts which is critical low voltage.
You shouldn't see that until towards the end of a long flight (and the individual cells' voltages should all be similar).

The op says he tried this with three different batteries. What are the odds all three batteries are defective?
2020-3-3
Use props
Rbaxter3
lvl.1

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 3-3 16:36
Were you using the same battery on all the flights?   If so, I would chuck it.

No, I have three different batteries and it does this occasionally on all of them.
2020-3-3
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

What are dates the batteries were manufactured?  How recently did you purchase the drone and those batteries?
2020-3-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Rbaxter3 Posted at 3-3 16:19

Try this

PM2.jpg
2020-3-3
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Riley,

Had a look at your 2 logs.

In both logs a messages like:  "BATTERYTEMPVOLTAGELOW"

In the november log at start a warning "Warning:Battery Temperature Below 15°C (59F). Warm battery to above 25°C (77F) before flying."

flight nov > batt sn = 0K4XF3E94300QJ / start batt temp 7 degrees celcius
fight mar > batt sn = 0K4XF3E94300QJ / start bat temp 27 degrees celcius

So or its the cold temp or batt is faulty (cell1). But if you have flown other battery in the same temp : don`t use this battery or use this battery flying closeby and low alt from full to 20% level and check the volts values during the flight.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2020-3-4
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

Is the battery firmware updated to the latest?
2020-3-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Thank you for the respond. I have responded to your PM. Kindly please check with your most convenient time. Thank you.
2020-3-4
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

I find funny guys here always trying to blame the user or another external factor for this battery problem with Mavic Air. It is happening all over with Air owners. I had all 3 batteries of my fly more combo with this sudden drop midflight. The third one happened last week. Its happening all over and how come you guys dont see it and connect the dots? It surely is a design flaw but DJI remains silent about acknowledging that. Now Im always afraid to fly but sometimes I need to because its a job. I will reply this same message to all other 2 topics I read today. There were 2 from me from the first 2 batteries and a lot more from other users. DJI needs to do something as they sold us a product promising it was safe. And it would be if there wasnt this battery problem happening all of a sudden, no sign, no message, no physical damage to the battery.
2020-3-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Thank you for patiently waiting. I have sent a PM. Kindly please check in your most convenient time. Thank you.
2020-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules