Should I fly in zero wind, or indoors only?
1090 25 2020-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eegore
lvl.1

United States

So my replacement mini flew about 5 seconds before slamming repeatedly into the ground.  I had to physically hold it down to get it to shut off.

My research shows that the Mini will drop uncontrolled to the ground if it encounters wind and gets a "max power load reached (code 30168) " error.  Since this is happening to multiple consumers at random times, and there seems to be no solution, would it be best to use the drone inside only?  Of course for me that means not using it at all since I have no indoor usage for one.

In my case I had a full charge warm battery, a newly activated and firmware updated drone and battery, and pretty much no wind.  My drone with less than a minute flight time is already damaged, so what would people here do?

Fly inside only, or chance or losing it in a breeze?
2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As I said in another post, you need to return this drone, it’s broken, you describe something that’s far from what any mini drone should be .
2020-3-5
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

Customer service will only replace it through Care Refresh since it has damage to it.  

2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eegore Posted at 3-5 17:07
Customer service will only replace it through Care Refresh since it has damage to it.

Unless damage was caused by you and if this is the case then maybe you need to use care refresh .
2020-3-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

If you want a realistic assessment from our Forum members I think you should provide much more details about your flight and possibly the logfile.txt from the DJI Fly app telemetry.

You've described a drone that needed to be pinned down in order to be shut off... that isn't a normal experience for any drone, not even the cheapest one on the market, by the way the errors you're referring to don't happen so randomly and you still need a good share of heedlessness for them to happen, including disregarding good manual practices and ignoring Fly app warnings.
2020-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

My research shows that the Mini will drop uncontrolled to the ground if it encounters wind and gets a "max power load reached (code 30168) " error.  Since this is happening to multiple consumers at random times, and there seems to be no solution, would it be best to use the drone inside only?

There's still a lot of mystery around the uncommanded descent problem but it can happen in wind and in no wind situations.
The low speed of the Mini and it's inability to deal with moderate breezes is a separate issue.

2020-3-5
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 3-5 17:24
My research shows that the Mini will drop uncontrolled to the ground if it encounters wind and gets a "max power load reached (code 30168) " error.  Since this is happening to multiple consumers at random times, and there seems to be no solution, would it be best to use the drone inside only?  

There's still a lot of mystery around the uncommanded descent problem but it can happen in wind and in no wind situations.

"by the way the errors you're referring to don't happen so randomly and you still need a good share of heedlessness for them to happen, including disregarding good manual practices and ignoring Fly app warnings."

There were no warnings prior to lifting off.  It flew up about 5 feet, flew rapidly to the ground, went up about two feet, dropped to the ground.  I did not provide any controller input other than lifting up, then holding down in an attempt to get it to stay down.

To make sure it did not lift up and drop down again I pressed down on it with my hand, lifted it up and shut it off.

Total flight time was less than one minute.  As far as I have been informed since the drone was damaged cosmetically from the initial drop, it is now only covered under DJI Care Refresh.
2020-3-5
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 17:11
Unless damage was caused by you and if this is the case then maybe you need to use care refresh .

All damaged is caused by the pilot once the drone is shipped and received undamaged as far as I have come to understand working with DJI customer service.

2020-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eegore Posted at 3-5 17:46
All damaged is caused by the pilot once the drone is shipped and received undamaged as far as I have come to understand working with DJI customer service.

That’s all very strange .
2020-3-5
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

I think a few of us would like to see the logs on this one, if you could please upload your log here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ this guide also works for the mini.
2020-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eegore Posted at 3-5 17:44
"by the way the errors you're referring to don't happen so randomly and you still need a good share of heedlessness for them to happen, including disregarding good manual practices and ignoring Fly app warnings."

There were no warnings prior to lifting off.  It flew up about 5 feet, flew rapidly to the ground, went up about two feet, dropped to the ground.  I did not provide any controller input other than lifting up, then holding down in an attempt to get it to stay down.

You were replying to m80116 (not me) and he's proved to be out of his depth on this topic several times.
It's a mistake to take him seriously.

2020-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eegore Posted at 3-5 17:46
All damaged is caused by the pilot once the drone is shipped and received undamaged as far as I have come to understand working with DJI customer service.

Your understanding on this is just not correct.
2020-3-5
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 3-5 18:15
All damaged is caused by the pilot once the drone is shipped and received undamaged as far as I have come to understand working with DJI customer service.
Your understanding on this is just not correct.

I would like to think so, but DJI on my last issue with a defective gimbal, indicated that any physical damage after initial inspection of the drone is considered damage done by the pilot.  

There was a scratch on one of the arms, and that caused the warranty on the gimbal to be void so I had to use a Refresh claim.  
2020-3-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I doubt that flying only indoors will help the situation, and would possibly make it worse. The floor is usually harder than the ground.
2020-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eegore Posted at 3-5 18:53
I would like to think so, but DJI on my last issue with a defective gimbal, indicated that any physical damage after initial inspection of the drone is considered damage done by the pilot.  

There was a scratch on one of the arms, and that caused the warranty on the gimbal to be void so I had to use a Refresh claim.

If it can be proved that damage was caused by a DJI issue, that damage is not considered to be damage cause by the pilot.

The issue might be complicated by poor communications.
2020-3-5
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-5 18:08
I think a few of us would like to see the logs on this one, if you could please upload your log here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ this guide also works for the mini.

I can access these logs and copy a URL to a site that shows flight logs from my previous drone as well.

How do I show only the last flight on here?
2020-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eegore Posted at 3-5 19:38
I can access these logs and copy a URL to a site that shows flight logs from my previous drone as well.

How do I show only the last flight on here?

You post the URL here.
2020-3-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I am sorry to know about this unfortunate incident and thank you for sharing your informative insights on what happened. Since the drone experienced a hard impact. I would recommend for you contact our DJI support team to start up a ticket at ( https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) to futrhter investigate the cause of the issue. We have the professional team who would do their best to assists you with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2020-3-6
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 3-5 20:49
You post the URL here.

Looks like the battery wasn't full, it was at 46%.  Maybe I should only use full batteries and stop after 3 or 4 minutes to make sure it stays above half.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/1L8WYEGIWW1MW308ITP0/
2020-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eegore Posted at 3-6 15:50
Looks like the battery wasn't full, it was at 46%.  Maybe I should only use full batteries and stop after 3 or 4 minutes to make sure it stays above half.

Hmmm ... There were plenty of things wrong with this flight.
I think it would be a good idea to read the manual before trying to fly.
First point is, do like the manual says and only fly with a fully charged battery.
When you launch with a partially discharged battery, the % indication gives a false reading.
You didn't even have 46%, the battery was down to almost critical low voltage level only 16 seconds into the flight.
2.  You were very impatient to launch and did not wait for GPS or to record a home point.
The homepoint was eventually recorded after you had been flying for 9.5 seconds.
3.  Your drone did not repeatedly slam into the ground either.
At 14.5 seconds you pulled the left stick full down and held it there which pushed the drone into the ground.
2020-3-6
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 3-6 18:58
Hmmm ... There were plenty of things wrong with this flight.
I think it would be a good idea to read the manual before trying to fly.
First point is, do like the manual says and only fly with a fully charged battery.

I was under the impression that the battery was charged as it had been on the charger, plugged in for about 3 weeks.  But I can see here that was not the case.

So since the GPS recorded the homepoint after I launched is that why it reads a negative altitude?

The drone did repeatedly hit the ground, twice, and I had to hold it down with my hand to keep it from lifting up again.  

In any case, historically the drone when the sticks are held down will land.  Not slam into the ground, but lower, hover a second then land.  

What I experienced was the drone lifting up, then hitting the ground, at which point I held the stick UP, it lifted up again then hit the ground, then lifted a few inches before I was able to hold it down.  I actually didn't have the controller in my hand after it hit the ground the second time as I left it on the table to go grab the drone.  However the information here indicates the stick was down even though I was trying to get the drone to lift.  I did not have the controller upside down.

In any case the information I got back was that my only option is to replace the drone again.  My question though since this one is unflyable is: Why are there negative altitude indicators?  I've never had issue using my old drone with a homepoint that isn't on the ground.  Does a homepoint zero the altitude?
2020-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

eegore Posted at 3-6 20:08
I was under the impression that the battery was charged as it had been on the charger, plugged in for about 3 weeks.  But I can see here that was not the case.

So since the GPS recorded the homepoint after I launched is that why it reads a negative altitude?

I was under the impression that the battery was charged as it had been on the charger, plugged in for about 3 weeks.

The charger cuts out after the battery is charged.
It doesn't continue trickling for 3 weeks.

FYI .. the drone was 4 feet higher than the launch point when the homepoint was recorded.

But a homepoint does not have any altitude.
The altitude zero point is from the barometric sensor and it records as soon as you power up.
The negative altitude is just one foot.
It's common for the altitude sensor to change a foot or two as the drone warms up.

My question though since this one is unflyable is: Why are there negative altitude indicators?  I've never had issue using my old drone with a homepoint that isn't on the ground.  Does a homepoint zero the altitude?
Negative altitude means the drone is lower than where it powered up.
But as explained a diffierence of 1-2 feet is meaningless - forget it..
Powering the drone off and restarting zeros the altitude.

2020-3-6
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 3-6 21:12
I was under the impression that the battery was charged as it had been on the charger, plugged in for about 3 weeks.  

The charger cuts out after the battery is charged.

Well the negative altitude makes sense if its common to be off a few feet.

What doesn't make sense was I held the stick upward, but this records that I was holding it down.  I wanted to fly the drone so holding the stick down is typically not what I do when I want to move up.

Also I have always had the drone stop above the ground, hover a second or two, then land.  It's not been my experience that it hits the ground at speed.  This I assume is because the battery wasn't charged fully and maybe the sensors were not working.

In any case I wont try flying this one until I have a soft surface to test over.  
2020-3-7
Use props
eegore
lvl.1

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-7 07:18
If you're only going to fly with zero wind you'll never fly!  Outdoors at least.  Assuming your description is accurate, something must he wrong with your replacement Mini.  Sync your flight logs & file a for service under the standard warranty.  If the logs back you up it will probably be replaced.  Otherwise file a claim under DJI Care if you have the coverage.

"Assuming your description is accurate, something must he wrong with your replacement Mini."

I'm thinking the sensors are not working.  I attempted to fly it today, with a full charge battery, inside and it doesn't land as it normally would.  Historically holding down on the stick will cause it to lower, hover for a second then land slowly.  There is no slow descent, it will hit the ground (gymnastic mat in this case) without pausing.  

DJI indicated I need to use Care Refresh since the drone was physically damaged on the first flight so at this point I am going to hang onto it and do some more tests.
2020-3-7
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

eegore Posted at 3-7 22:04
"Assuming your description is accurate, something must he wrong with your replacement Mini."

I'm thinking the sensors are not working.  I attempted to fly it today, with a full charge battery, inside and it doesn't land as it normally would.  Historically holding down on the stick will cause it to lower, hover for a second then land slowly.  There is no slow descent, it will hit the ground (gymnastic mat in this case) without pausing.  

Sounds like the vision sensors are not working, some people have found if you cover them you can use it to cheat and fly lower but at the risk of crash landing it. I would check to make sure nothing is covering them on the underside and work from there.
2020-3-8
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

I've flown my mini in windy conditions (within recommended ranges) and it's flown perfectly.  So no i wouldn't only fly it indoors.  Somewhat pointless if that were the case
2020-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules