Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Yaw issues. Please help!
1046 7 2020-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1c013969
lvl.3
Flight distance : 766791 ft
Canada

I've been flying with my Mavic Air for almost two years now and have been really happy with it until a few months ago.
  The problem is that when I push up or down on the stick (altitude) the drone will sometimes Yaw as if I'm pushing left or right on the stick as well. Can't exactly remember right now but I think it mostly yaws to the right, but also goes left.
   I sent my drone to where I bought it from (they are a big dealer for DJI here in Canada). They told me that they just blew out the motors with compressed air, did some calibrations with the IMU and controller and sent it back to me. I just tested it for the first time, and I'm still having issues.
To give you an example... When I flew it for the first time today, I was lowering in altitude, and it takes so much that it did a full 180. That's the most extreme issue I've had, but you can see how making a video would be problematic.

If anyone has some insight on this problem, or any suggestions on what I can do, pleaaasssee let me know!
2020-3-5
Use props
EFRPIC
Captain

United States

Just a guess but it sounds like the controller is the issue. Any way you can borrow someone else's to try to rule that out?
2020-3-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

EFRPIC Posted at 3-5 20:55
Just a guess but it sounds like the controller is the issue. Any way you can borrow someone else's to try to rule that out?

Aloha fans1c,

You may want to try a Remote Controller calibration.  Now, here is the odd part.  If there is any sort of problem, it will show up in the % of the axis calibrated.  Often those calibrating the Remote Controller do not even notice the % number and simply run the calibration quickly.  Even the dealer technician may not have noticed the % indicator.

The reason why this is an issue is because if you live in a humid or dry and dusty area, the sticks and wheel may develop small, almost undetectable amounts of corrosion in the contact areas.  I live in a very humid area and humidity was my problem.  I could not get my controller to work right until I noticed that I was not calibrating until I got the full 100% calibration in each dimension.  Some of the dimensions took a few minutes and many tries.  But once I did the full calibrations, the controller worked very well again.  This is also needed for the gimbal wheel.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-3-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regard to this concern. Kindly please, refresh the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2. After this step, please calibrate the compass of the drone in a location with less interference then please calibrate the IMU on a flat surface to isolate the issue. When you are calibrating the remote controller did you noticed if the Yaw is responding when you are pushing the altitude stick ( mode 2 )? Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-3-6
Use props
fans1c013969
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-6 09:50
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regard to this concern. Kindly please, refresh the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2. After this step, please calibrate the compass of the drone in a location with less interference then please calibrate the IMU on a flat surface to isolate the issue. When you are calibrating the remote controller did you noticed if the Yaw is responding when you are pushing the altitude stick ( mode 2 )? Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

I tried using DJI assistance 2, but I couldn't get it to work properly. Either way, using the updater through the DJI Go App, it's telling me that I have the latest firmware installed.

BUT, when I went to calibrate the controller, it did show Yaw movement on the stick when all I did was push straight up. Sometimes it was up to 50%, which now makes a lot of sense.
So I calibrated the controller and have yet to do a test flight, but it doesn't seem to 'add yaw' anymore when I'm calibrating.

By the way, what's the best way to calibrate the controller?

Hopefully when I do a test flight I won't have problems anymore. It's almost impossible to shoot video with it panning all the time.

Thanks again though! And I'll post again after I get it in the air.
2020-3-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

fans1c013969 Posted at 3-7 12:14
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!

I tried using DJI assistance 2, but I couldn't get it to work properly. Either way, using the updater through the DJI Go App, it's telling me that I have the latest firmware installed.

You are more than welcome, For calibrating the remote controller. I would suggest to follow the instructions on our official DJI video tutorial for calibrating your remote controller even this video is for the DJI Mavic Pro it still uses the same process as the DJI Mavic Air. Thank you.

2020-3-7
Use props
fans1c013969
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-7 15:30
You are more than welcome, For calibrating the remote controller. I would suggest to follow the instructions on our official DJI video tutorial for calibrating your remote controller even this video is for the DJI Mavic Pro it still uses the same process as the DJI Mavic Air. Thank you.

I took it for a test flight yesterday. The problem has been mostly fixed, thanks to the advice you guys gave me for calibrating the controller!

However, I did notice it still twitched over to the right (or left...can't remember now) a couple times. It also seemed to drift to the right when I just let it hover in one place, which to me isn't a huge deal. Before I take some AEB shots I just have to make sure it's stationary to prevent ghosting in the images.

I checked the controller sticks status and they seem to be fine. Should I keep calibrating so it works the problem out? And is there a fix for the drifting?

Thanks again!
2020-3-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

fans1c013969 Posted at 3-12 17:01
I took it for a test flight yesterday. The problem has been mostly fixed, thanks to the advice you guys gave me for calibrating the controller!

However, I did notice it still twitched over to the right (or left...can't remember now) a couple times. It also seemed to drift to the right when I just let it hover in one place, which to me isn't a huge deal. Before I take some AEB shots I just have to make sure it's stationary to prevent ghosting in the images.

Thank you for the additional information. For the drifting issue. I would recommend to please calibrate the IMU and compass to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules