Wi Fi Repeaters
7358 14 2020-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1651168 ft
United States

I'm guessing that range extenders are passive and repeaters are not.  

Avaible for the Mini?  Legal?  Do they work?    Worth it?   EDUCATE ME!!!!
2020-3-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WiFi repeaters will not work because the Mini is not using WiFi. It is just using the same radio band, but the signal is very different in structure.
2020-3-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Akirasho. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry regarding the Wi Fi Repeaters. I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI co pilots who uses the Wi Fi Repeaters. Just a friendly reminder that DJI does not recommend you to your 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drones  or modify your DJI product. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Actually, there is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work. However, since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you.
2020-3-7
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1651168 ft
United States

When you say "WiFi repeater" I assume you mean amplifier and/or replacement antenna?

Yep.  I had seen them in a few YouTubes and did a quick Google for use  on the Mini but only  saw a device for Mavic Pro.

I  imagine that the FCC would have specs on power and application (USA).  My Dad use to "boost" the hell out of his CB radio!

2020-3-7
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Range extender is a generic term, repeater is already more technical.

There are however even passive repeater like the Yagi-Uda where the signal is absorbed and repeated by ferrite rods.

The reflectors are very good at their job, they're very cheap and readily available, but they improve the range just marginally, think about from 500 to 750m within 5.8 GHz 25mW emission, MM CE. They just bounce off some of the radio waves and scatter them in front. With passive Yagi-Uda repeaters which are calculated and spaced exactly for the wavelength the system is using (so 5.8 GHz needs a different antenna than 2.4 GHz) you have a far clearer and more directive signal, the waves aren't scattered anymore with interlapping phases but are all synched up... a big plus for reaching longer distances.
Attached: a Mavic RC 5.8 GHz Yagi-Uda passive repeater.
featured_preview_58ghz.jpg
2020-3-7
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

The topic is very interesting, I would like to try something on 2.4Ghz
Where should the repeater be positioned? I suppose a few hundred meters from the remote control to extend the path of the drone ..
Do they exist on the market and how much do they cost?
2020-3-7
Use props
Renato61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

Up to up to up....
2020-3-8
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

https://www.ebay.it/itm/283784129305

2.4 doesn't benefit as much as the 5.8 Ghz.
2020-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-7 07:33
Passive parabolic reflectors offer mixed results.  Some find they do little while others see noticeable improvement.  The good thing is they are inexpensive & don't require modding the controller.  For $10-15 bucks give one a shot & see how it works for you.  Fly the same spot, same direction, with & without the reflector installed to compare results.

When you say "WiFi repeater" I assume you mean amplifier and/or replacment antenna?  When installed properly, these can provide significantly increased range, but it requires opening & modifying the RC.  Depending on the antenna, it can also make properly pointing the RC towards the drone more critical.  If you choose this route, & aren't somewhat skilled with working on electronics, you might want to have this service performed professionally.

Strictly speaking, the amplifiers you are talking about are designed to work with the DJI RC units and are not really a 'WiFi Repeater'. There are dozens of true WiFi repeaters offered for sale, and that is what I took Akirasho to mean. And, as I said originally, they will NOT work because the DJI signal is NOT WiFi, it just happens to be on the same band.
2020-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Renato61 Posted at 3-7 23:22
The topic is very interesting, I would like to try something on 2.4Ghz
Where should the repeater be positioned? I suppose a few hundred meters from the remote control to extend the path of the drone ..
Do they exist on the market and how much do they cost?

NO. A WiFi repeater will not work at all, because the DJI control signal is not a WiFi signal.
2020-3-8
Use props
Durlano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90453 ft
North Macedonia

m80116 Posted at 3-8 20:08
https://www.ebay.it/itm/283784129305

2.4 doesn't benefit as much as the 5.8 Ghz.

Interesting...have anybody tried them? Any reviews/tests?
2020-3-8
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Now i learnt something new
2020-3-9
Use props
TelloMellow
lvl.2

Canada

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 3-9 09:01
Now i learnt something new

For Tello pilots - we use it. As mentioned before - lots of repeaters in the market.
Here are links to
Configuring tp-link TL-WR802N (https://youtu.be/C96w2fdX8Xk)
Tello Range Test - tp-link TL-WR802N Repeater (https://youtu.be/F-LfKwTvoqM)

Other repeaters are more popular due to price:
- Xiaomi MI Repeater (USB powered dongle - can be challenging to configure. tp-link unit is a snap to configure)
- Meross MR220 (USB powered dongle - but can be hard to find)

Tello pilots use these for extending the range and better video reception (less frame drops). Mavic Mini, Air, etc - as mentioned before - might have no use for these.

2020-6-10
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is a guy about to fly from England to France with his Mini... They saddle extra lipo batteries for extended battery life, they use a long range antenna panel etc. He has a video on how to set up the antenna also. It's pretty interesting. So it is possible but you have to know what you are doing.

Here is his latest video where he goes 33km/20miles one way with the Mavic Mini... there are a couple of them fighting for world records at the moment. There's another guy called The Transplanter that gets huge distances with the mini also.
2020-6-10
Use props
djiuser_J3ULoqyXfHO4
New

Brazil

Pessoal tenho um Phantom 2 de segunda mão, comprei ele porém está faltando algumas peças, está faltando o ranger extender wi-fi alguém sabe pra que serve?

Ou oque interfere não usar ele ?
5-6 15:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules