Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CAA Class 2 requirements
1155 6 2020-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MartinMaynard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 306486 ft
United Kingdom

Is DJI likely to update the software to comply with the new caa Class 2 requirements? Technically it should be capable if a low-speed switch was included.

Class C2 – (can be flown in subcategory A2 [close to people] or A3 (far from people) Unmanned aircraft that:  are less than 4kg maximum take-off mass  designed and constructed so as to minimise injury to people  are equipped with a low-speed mode’ which limits the maximum speed to 3m/s (approx. 6.7 mph) when selected by the remote pilot
2020-3-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day MartinMaynard. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Rest assured that DJI is doing its best to comply to all requirements need. In addition, as of the moment, we do not have any exact information with DJI's future updates. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates and latest DJI products by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com for more information. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-3-9
Use props
embayweather
Captain
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I would think that the problem would lay with the switch. Not doubt it can create a slow speed mode, but equally a flick of the switch would invalidate the classification. The Phantoms that I have are not really designed to minimise injury on contact with people. I do not have prop guards built in for example and the material f which it is constructed can shatter and cause sharp edges to be formed when coming into contact with hard surfaces like a skull.
My impressions from reading the regulations are that the aircraft will need to be specially built to meet the new criteria rather than attempting retro fitting existing models. For now we will still have to continue to fly via the drone code.
2020-3-10
Use props
MartinMaynard
lvl.1
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 3-10 05:04
I would think that the problem would lay with the switch. Not doubt it can create a slow speed mode, but equally a flick of the switch would invalidate the classification. The Phantoms that I have are not really designed to minimise injury on contact with people. I do not have prop guards built in for example and the material f which it is constructed can shatter and cause sharp edges to be formed when coming into contact with hard surfaces like a skull.
My impressions from reading the regulations are that the aircraft will need to be specially built to meet the new criteria rather than attempting retro fitting existing models. For now we will still have to continue to fly via the drone code.

I would have thought the switch would be a setting in the Go Fly App the position of which would be recorded as part of the flight data. In the event of an incident, the operator could show compliance by viewing the log.
2020-3-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Its called Tripod mode
2020-3-10
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Tripod Mode would limit the speed to less than 6.7mph.
2020-3-11
Use props
MartinMaynard
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I am wondering if the CAA would accept tripod mode and propeller guards as acceptable during what they refer to as a transition period
2020-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules