Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aftermarket Propellers
12Next >
10762 47 2020-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Porktree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

Recent everns have me needing to buy a spare set of props.  I can get a set of DJI branded props at Bestbuy for $12.99.  I am wondering if any of you have found any 'better' third party propellors.  I went through what was on Amazon and 1) they seem to be from the same manufacteror and 2) there are a lot of reports of them failing by hitting the body and/or crashing.  Are you guys aware of any upgraded third party props?
Also, what's the frequency you are changing propellers at?  I had the dread EOC decent problem and have seen speculation that this is because the props are 'worn' out, no longer in the right shape to give full lift etc.  Mine had not been changed since December when I got the MM, and it does sound reasonable that plastic fatigue could be a factor.
2020-3-9
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

In 3, 2, 1 seconds the response from moderator Dji recommending not to use third party products
2020-3-9
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

... and me. Why use something else?
2020-3-9
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Italy

*DM* Posted at 3-9 23:56

If there were more efficient and resistant propellers I don't see the problem. What if they were the ones causing the ESC errors?
2020-3-10
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

You're right that stock props look paper thin and even landing in to the grass can probably lead to serious damage. For me stock props are the way at the moment as you don't need to change them all if you damage one blade. I have no experience with third party props. But I'm looking forward if some proven manufacturer comes with real upgrade (like slightly heavier but more durable).
2020-3-10
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I honestly don't think props can be at fault for the uncommanded descent issues. My reasoning:
  • Experiments by different people here on the forum are not reliable. Some people concluded it was the props because the issue didn't happen again after replacing the props. Some people concluded it was the firmware because they downgraded to a previous firmware and it didn't happen again (while others had the issue on that exact previous firmware). Others concluded it was the battery because they swapped with a different battery and it didn't happen again. Seems like the issue is random enough that it's causing a lot of "false positive" for people doing different tests
  • In a lot of the uncommanded descends here, the craft started descending quite rapidly. An incremental fatigue in the plastic causing the props for some reason to be less and less efficient would not happen this suddenly unless it totally fails. You would see the craft having problems climbing before having problems maintaing altitude and as far as I know, this never happened.
  • There were those lucky enough to be quite low at the moment of the descend and to get away just with the craft bouncing of the ground. They then had no issue flying it again with the same set of props. I don't see how plastic fatigue can cause props to fail like this and then be ok again.

2020-3-10
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 3-10 00:32
You're right that stock props look paper thin and even landing in to the grass can probably lead to serious damage. For me stock props are the way at the moment as you don't need to change them all if you damage one blade. I have no experience with third party props. But I'm looking forward if some proven manufacturer comes with real upgrade (like slightly heavier but more durable).

If you 'damage a blade' ... change it.
2020-3-10
Use props
virtual
lvl.4
Czechia

*DM* Posted at 3-10 00:39
If you 'damage a blade' ... change it.

No doubt about that, but heaving third party props you need third party spare blades and that makes my Fly more combo spares useless...
2020-3-10
Use props
thE29
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14094 ft
Austria

I once saw a youtube video, where someone had aftermarket props. He said they were more silent, but they were even faster destroyed by normal flying than the original ones.. The props started to fringe at the ends very fast. But I am unable to find this video.. Most other people would reommend masterairscrew, but there arent one for the MM (yet).
2020-3-10
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

Master air screw is working on the mini’s now they have quality propellers all others fail fast they don’t seat like the originals do. Steve Coutts put the video out about the propellers, search on YouTube! You void the warranty if you install 3rd party accessories!
2020-3-10
Use props
unixhaj
lvl.2

Denmark

Hey,

Some of my props have minor damage at the tips (from me hitting a wall when I just got the drone).. It's never been a problem even flying at 500 meters in a bit of wind.
The drone can lift it self twice (it can almost carry a 330ml can of beer - well .. had to try)  so I can't see a single prop being damaged would make it drop out of the sky.

// Hans
2020-3-10
Use props
TDZHDTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 3-10 00:37
I honestly don't think props can be at fault for the uncommanded descent issues. My reasoning:
  • Experiments by different people here on the forum are not reliable. Some people concluded it was the props because the issue didn't happen again after replacing the props. Some people concluded it was the firmware because they downgraded to a previous firmware and it didn't happen again (while others had the issue on that exact previous firmware). Others concluded it was the battery because they swapped with a different battery and it didn't happen again. Seems like the issue is random enough that it's causing a lot of "false positive" for people doing different tests
  • In a lot of the uncommanded descends here, the craft started descending quite rapidly. An incremental fatigue in the plastic causing the props for some reason to be less and less efficient would not happen this suddenly unless it totally fails. You would see the craft having problems climbing before having problems maintaing altitude and as far as I know, this never happened.

• Totally agree, it’s just the YouTube fanboys pushing prop changes, too afraid they’ll loose there next free drone.  My first set of props were trashed and my Mini still flew great, 128 flight hours later I’m getting prop strike with new props! Batch issue? Mini arms degrade over time? Waiting to see if DJI action any changes
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Depster
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 10062 ft
    Canada

I'd be interested in how good these are. Carbon Fiber props sounds like a good thing but Im really not sure how good they would be.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vincent-Ju ... =1583846396&sr=8-54
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Cal Evans
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 85673 ft
    United States

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ones I bought.

They have worked perfectly for me. I'm currently on the second set (yellow). The Red ones are really pretty in flight.

Cheers!
    =C=
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    m80116
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 3264131 ft
    Italy

Some reported of being heavier as a bonus, I see it more as a plastic deficit, where DJI uses the best material to ensure structural resiliency and maximum lightness. Also they might not have the same tolerances, the pivot screw hole fit is quite critical for how the propeller manages to stay level during steep climbing or descending.
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Renato61
    lvl.4
    Italy

Although obvious third-party propellers are justified only if they offer better performance or the same at a very low price.

However, the variety of the offer is useful to have a better product.
    I have many doubts about the guarantee, so they don't answer.

2020-3-10
    Use props
    DJI Paladin
    Administrator
    Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this concern. DJI does not recommend to use any third party accessories. We cannot guarantee the stability and compatibility of the said accessory during flight. This may lead to an incident, that can or will void the warranty. Please visit our official DJI Online Store to ensure that the items purchased are genuine DJI products. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Picanoc Jack
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 10310322 ft
    Canada

Depster Posted at 3-10 05:23
    I'd be interested in how good these are. Carbon Fiber props sounds like a good thing but Im really not sure how good they would be.

they are great, had those and worked out good, got a better set though Master Airscrew white ones and they also work great.
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    chileanbyone
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 489314 ft
    United States

Good info here. I need to buy an extra pair sometime soon
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    virtual
    lvl.4
    Czechia

Richard Hopkins Posted at 3-10 03:45
    Master air screw is working on the mini’s now they have quality propellers all others fail fast they don’t seat like the originals do. Steve Coutts put the video out about the propellers, search on YouTube! You void the warranty if you install 3rd party accessories!

Is it confirmed info about Master air screw? Their props look very solid and precise, and silencing Mini potentialy even more would be great too...
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    120ccpm
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 1396755 ft
    United States

unixhaj Posted at 3-10 04:10
    Hey,

Some of my props have minor damage at the tips (from me hitting a wall when I just got the drone).. It's never been a problem even flying at 500 meters in a bit of wind.

The flight controller will compensate for damage/misalignment of the props, and your MM might still fly well (enough). But unbalanced props, especially on a small AC like the MM, would introduce unwanted vibrations. I would personally replace them. Besides, DJI props are fairly priced, don't see the reason to experiment with alternatives unless proven to be better.
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Renato61
    lvl.4
    Italy

Depster Posted at 3-10 05:23

They dont't ship in Europe
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    virtual
    lvl.4
    Czechia

Renato61 Posted at 3-10 10:17
    They dont't ship in Europe

You can find these (RCgeek branded) on ebay with EU shipping.
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    djiuser_0sznpSoW5hVC
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 314820 ft
    Canada

I've been using 3rd party propellers bought on ebay. No issues at all
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Renato61
    lvl.4
    Italy

virtual Posted at 3-10 10:23
    You can find these (RCgeek branded) on ebay with EU shipping.

Thank you.
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Guorium
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 513061 ft
    Australia

Third party props can be dodgy but I don’t have much faith in stock props ether. One screw came with the combo had bent thread. If I tried to tighten it down I could have damaged the motor casing.
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Renato61
    lvl.4
    Italy

Guorium Posted at 3-10 22:47
    Third party props can be dodgy but I don’t have much faith in stock props ether. One screw came with the combo had bent thread. If I tried to tighten it down I could have damaged the motor casing.

You don't trust third party products because Dji sent you damaged goods? Rigorous reasoning
    2020-3-10
    Use props
    Guorium
    lvl.4
    Australia

Renato61 Posted at 3-10 23:29
    You don't trust third party products because Dji sent you damaged goods? Rigorous reasoning

No. You misunderstood. I was saying:" DJI product could be as reliable as the third party made ones."
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    sbonev
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 3665279 ft
    Switzerland

Guorium Posted at 3-11 00:30
    No. You misunderstood. I was saying:" DJI product could be as reliable as the third party made ones."

anyway third party might be the only option...good i got the fly more combo, as here the delivery states 14 weeks!!! i have ordered one pair for just in case from another vendor over a month ago and it is still with status delivery date unknown...

2020-3-11
    Use props
    virtual
    lvl.4
    Czechia

If You try them let us know how they perform.
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    virtual
    lvl.4
    Czechia

sbonev Posted at 3-11 01:42
    anyway third party might be the only option...good i got the fly more combo, as here the delivery states 14 weeks!!! i have ordered one pair for just in case from another vendor over a month ago and it is still with status delivery date unknown...

[view_image]

Our local dealer have stock in Prague (not sure about shipping policy) and banggood shows in stock status too.
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    Guorium
    lvl.4
    Australia

sbonev Posted at 3-11 01:42
    anyway third party might be the only option...good i got the fly more combo, as here the delivery states 14 weeks!!! i have ordered one pair for just in case from another vendor over a month ago and it is still with status delivery date unknown...

[view_image]

Australia got stock this January. China always had plenty. I had no issue buying them off authorized retailers online. Strange enough I visited a number of DJI dealers in China and none of them had stock last year.
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    Lipscombe
    lvl.3
    Flight distance : 507854 ft

Canada

*DM* Posted at 3-9 23:56

Well, because DJI props, although reasonably priced, I can not find any place that charges less than 100% of the cost of the props for shipping.  Buying from DJI in US$ is no different, plus you will probably get nailed at the border if you don't live in the US.

If anybody knows of a Canadian seller for the props that does not over charge for shipping ....
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    fans16d714b8
    lvl.4
    Italy

See this at this point about non-DJI props:

T 187 seconds.

I've recently found another user recently complaining about carbon fiber propellers, his Mini wasn't flying properly the first time he tried. Beware of non DJI props.
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    deathsquad
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 6763835 ft
    • >>>
    Australia

You'd have to be crazy to use 3rd party props. DJI manufacture their props for optimal performance but you think some cheap ripoff will do a better job? Crazy.
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    Renato61
    lvl.4
    Italy

fans16d714b8 Posted at 3-11 07:38
    See this at this point about non-DJI props:
    https://youtu.be/_5yudaXVJ8Q?t=187
    T 187 seconds.

Losing a propeller in flight can also happen with an original if it is fixed incorrectly, blaming a non-Dji product without any proof seems incorrect to me.
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    fans16d714b8
    lvl.4
    Italy

Renato61 Posted at 3-11 12:22
    Losing a propeller in flight can also happen with an original if it is fixed incorrectly, blaming a non-Dji product without any proof seems incorrect to me.

The video I mentioned is already a self stated blame, it is a proof!
    Do you want more proof ? Head into MavicPilot forum .com here
    https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... vs-new-props.78745/

This is just the latest complaint... there's already several of them including in this very forum of people complaining about loose fit, questioning material quality.... there's all kind of problems related to non-DJI propellers.

If I'd really like to skimp on something or personalize... that would just be anything but the propellers. Would you mount a set of GoodRide tires on a Ferrari 458 Italia !?  Yest they may look fancy... but you're gonna suspend your precious piece of "equipment" on cheap tires... your life depends on that, same for the little unmanned aircraft. I wouldn't really go for non-DJI props since the original are not even that expensive by DJI standards.
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    GaryDoug
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 1264639 ft
    • >>>
    United States

I would not trust anything posted by any member on mavicpilots. They are all of one mind, usually wrong.
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    Renato61
    lvl.4
    Italy

fans16d714b8 Posted at 3-11 12:44
    The video I mentioned is already a self stated blame, it is a proof!
    Do you want more proof ? Head into MavicPilot forum .com here
    https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-mini-old-vs-new-props.78745/

You have a very strange concept of proof, proving the cause is very difficult.
    If there were leaks of original propellers, would it be Dji's fault or the faulty assembly?
    2020-3-11
    Use props
    m80116
    lvl.4
    Italy

Even Amazon reviews reflect that view on non DJI props.
    Questioning my concept of proof is not my problem, if you're sure of your idea you have nothing to fear. Everybody can judge on their own.

2020-3-12
    Use props
    12Next >
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules