Mimo app connection with Osmo Action
2597 5 2020-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ShobyMe
New
Ireland

Hi everyone,
Is the Osmo Action suppose to connect to the mobile app only via Bluetooth? I've read that some say that you need wifi turned on the camera but that means that if you go someplace that you don't have wifi and only Bluetooth, will it connect? As of now, for me, the app is not connecting to the camera although it finds it as a device in the list.
I have turned on Location, Bluetooth and Wifi on my phone and my Osmo Action is/was turned on all the time.

Thanks
2020-3-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the model of the mobile device you are using? Please reset the network settings on your mobile device and try again to connect to your DJI Osmo Action via DJI Mimo. If issue still persists, kindly please provide a short video of the said issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-3-11
Use props
BoozaWooza
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Similar experience. I find toggling WiFi on and off whilst having Bluetooth and location on works after a couple of minutes faffing!
2020-3-11
Use props
ShobyMe
New
Ireland

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-11 11:15
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the model of the mobile device you are using? Please reset the network settings on your mobile device and try again to connect to your DJI Osmo Action via DJI Mimo. If issue still persists, kindly please provide a short video of the said issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Hi. It is a Nokia 8. I doubt that the model number matters. I've figured out that WI-FI needs to be on in order to just connect to the camera. So it acts just like a transfer channel, like Bluetooth transfer for eg. So you don't need an internet connection for it. I just have to, theoretically, connect my camera with my WI-FI on my phone and it should work. But I have to try.
I will post an update here to clarify this and maybe to have it helpful for other people as well.
2020-3-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ShobyMe Posted at 3-12 01:28
Hi. It is a Nokia 8. I doubt that the model number matters. I've figured out that WI-FI needs to be on in order to just connect to the camera. So it acts just like a transfer channel, like Bluetooth transfer for eg. So you don't need an internet connection for it. I just have to, theoretically, connect my camera with my WI-FI on my phone and it should work. But I have to try.
I will post an update here to clarify this and maybe to have it helpful for other people as well.

Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-3-12
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Bluetooth is only used to initiate the connection. The actual connection to the camera is through wifi, this is why you need to keep the wifi of the phone on. You don't need to be around a wifi network (or need internet connection) as camera becomes the wifi hotspot and the phone connects to that. Unlike Osmo Pocket, Osmo Action does not keep the wifi on at all times, so you need to enable bluetooth for the app to tell the OA to turn on it's wifi. With Osmo Pocket you can enter the hotspot information into the phone and it will connect every time, without requiring bluetooth.

Why it also needs the location is a mystery but my guess is it uses the information to keep the wifi band and power "region legal" (FCC, CE etc.)
2020-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules