My thoughts on the Omso Pocket one year on.
991 25 2020-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Well just over a year.
I'm not what you would describe as a heavy user.

I don't carry it with me everywhere and only take it out when I have soemwhere specific to go.

What I like is.

It punches well above it's weight cost wise verses image quality in all video modes.
Taking photos at night can yeild surprising results as long as I tripod mount it.

It's ability to focus in dark shooting conditions has been much better than expected.
It handles shooting into the sun much better than most other cameras of any sort that I have used before.

It has been in the past supported well with updates that have improved the overal performance of focusing and tracking.

The inboard microphones are better quality than I expected giving reasonable indoor perfromance with a bit of processing in post production.

The lack of weight is a joy even when carrying a lot of peripherals.
Lots of shooting modes to choose from.

Pro Mode. Very useful.

What I dislike is.

Mono audio. It is at the top of my list. Even with an external adapter and better a mic that give me wind noise protection outside it is very annoying.
The gimbal motors are not strong enough. Any filter used outside if the wind is strong enough causes the gimbal to tremble.

It can sometimes be a bit too small in my hands. Handling one handed feels sometimes like I will drop it.
Lack of connection. You have to choose one peripheral to use or charge only. Very limiting in use.

Why even an audio adapter? If it had given me stereo I may have forgiven it but it didn't. It sticks out of the bottom and is a very bad weak point.

Phone connectiion. So few phones work with it well.
Sometimes you can't use the tilt control when you would want to. The slider is there but you get told on screen not to use it in record. Why?

Due to it's smal size it is very easy to lose bits. So far I've lost my original charging lead and a filter. Didn't even notice at the times I lost them.
Having to learn to walk differently

Overall though it has been a very useful companion and it has mainly worked better than I expected it would.
It has made me lazy and subsequently I have only taken the Osmo Pocket with me when I should have also taken a full sized DSLR with me.

That I feel is a mistake. One such example happened to me last month.
We had a visit locally by an exhibit called Museum of the Moon. It was an art exhibit tht allowed photography so I only took the Osmo Pocket.

I knew it mainly consisted of one very large art piece but I expected a bit more. Maybe additional information dotted around to record but no.

How do you make a video of something like that?

In hindsight I would have taken my DSLR for stills as well but in the end tried to take some stills with the Osmo Pocket as well with mixed results.

This was the result and may be my most boring video to date.

I did have more success just before Christmas with my Santa Fun Run video which was on this forum, but DJI in their wisdom put it on another page

of the forum where no-one seems to have seen it so I'll re-post it here.

Overall, my experience with the Osmo Pocket has been a positive one and it is still working as well as ever.
No battery problems and slowly getting to grips with its limitations.

Ray.

2020-3-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely would be nice to have stereo audio.  All things considered the OP functions extremely well and does what I expected of it.  By the way, I really enjoyed the Santa Fun Run video.   
2020-3-12
Use props
AndyUS19
lvl.2

United States

Thank you for sharing your experience. I also have both OP and gopro hero 7 black. IMO, OP is a good camera, but it lacks ability to control the Follow Mode. I think it's too slow to react to the movement of my hand.  The video quality is more than enough for small sensor camera. However, I'd still prefer Gopro 7 for the convenience and not to worry damaging the gimbal.
2020-3-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Do you use the motion timelapse feature?
2020-3-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-12 05:24
Definitely would be nice to have stereo audio.  All things considered the OP functions extremely well and does what I expected of it.  By the way, I really enjoyed the Santa Fun Run video.

Thank You. It is the better of the two I agree.
2020-3-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

AndyUS19 Posted at 3-12 08:45
Thank you for sharing your experience. I also have both OP and gopro hero 7 black. IMO, OP is a good camera, but it lacks ability to control the Follow Mode. I think it's too slow to react to the movement of my hand.  The video quality is more than enough for small sensor camera. However, I'd still prefer Gopro 7 for the convenience and not to worry damaging the gimbal.

I suppose it depends on how you use your cameras. I would use a different camera for recording in the rain but it doesn't have the same stability the Osmo Pocket does.
2020-3-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 3-13 02:08
Do you use the motion timelapse feature?

Yes.
I used it in the Santa Fun Run Video above.
2020-3-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-13 03:19
Thank You. It is the better of the two I agree.

You're most welcome.  Have a fantastic day.
2020-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-13 03:21
Yes.
I used it in the Santa Fun Run Video above.

I don't see a motion timelapse.
Some 'hyperlapses', but not one where you set the camera on a tripod and the camera moves slowly.
(I might have missed it of course)
2020-3-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 3-13 03:52
I don't see a motion timelapse.
Some 'hyperlapses', but not one where you set the camera on a tripod and the camera moves slowly.
(I might have missed it of course)

Sorry, yes my mistake.

Try the opening sequence of this one.

2020-3-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ray. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your one year experience in using your DJI Osmo Pocket. Great explanations for both pros and cons. Again, thank you for your valued support and great videos as well.
2020-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-13 08:24
Sorry, yes my mistake.

Try the opening sequence of this one.

Yeah, like that.
It is very unstable.
Is it always like that?
My Osmo Mobile has it (plus the footage is horrible when in motionlapse mode)
2020-3-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 3-13 14:01
Yeah, like that.
It is very unstable.
Is it always like that?

I can't honestly say I've had the same problems some people have reported to have had on these forums with focus changes and the like, but then when doing such motion lapses I've always started the motion lapse aimed at an object about a third of the way down of what I want to be in the main focus area and checked I'm on single focus and not continuous.
I've then kept everything else on auto including white balance and ISO before using time lapse or motion lapse even though there is no option to alter any of that while in use in case it has an effect on the final files.
Last but not least I've always used DJI's own program (DJI Media Maker that is free to download from their site in the software section) to render the final file using the jpegs. Then importing the resulting clip into my editor.
Also it is always out of the wind where possible and stuck on a very large and sturdy tripod and bolted down tight. without that wind vibration has an effect on perceived quality as the Pocket can often move slightly without that precaution. That can make the final file look slightly soft even if individual frames are sharp. The worst part for me is just standing around waiting.
2020-3-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-13 10:22
Hello and good day Ray. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your one year experience in using your DJI Osmo Pocket. Great explanations for both pros and cons. Again, thank you for your valued support and great videos as well.

I'm pleased DJI is OK with hearing both negative as well as positive feedback Stephen.
Thank you for your kind comments as they are far from great yet. There is still a large learning curve for me at least yet and understand the idea of user error.
2020-3-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-13 14:54
I'm pleased DJI is OK with hearing both negative as well as positive feedback Stephen.
Thank you for your kind comments as they are far from great yet. There is still a large learning curve for me at least yet and understand the idea of user error.

It is always my please pleasure Ray. DJI is open to all comments given by our DJI co pilots and DJI members for us to be able to fix what needs to be fixed and to continue to provide great flying and filming experience to everyone. Again thank you for your valued support and keep on filming.
2020-3-13
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice work, thanks for sharing. I still getting use to my OP
2020-3-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-13 14:50
I can't honestly say I've had the same problems some people have reported to have had on these forums with focus changes and the like, but then when doing such motion lapses I've always started the motion lapse aimed at an object about a third of the way down of what I want to be in the main focus area and checked I'm on single focus and not continuous.
I've then kept everything else on auto including white balance and ISO before using time lapse or motion lapse even though there is no option to alter any of that while in use in case it has an effect on the final files.
Last but not least I've always used DJI's own program (DJI Media Maker that is free to download from their site in the software section) to render the final file using the jpegs. Then importing the resulting clip into my editor.

Yeah, that is true!
THe waiting is horrible.
2020-3-15
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

thanks for sharing the museum of the moon.  give a tump up on your channel
2020-3-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 3-14 05:34
Nice work, thanks for sharing. I still getting use to my OP

I hope you find it as useful as I do. I should be out and about with mine again this Thursday with luck and hopefully no bans on public gatherings yet.
2020-3-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 3-15 02:39
Yeah, that is true!
THe waiting is horrible.

Yup.Where possible I try to take images where there is somewhere to sit down and maybe have my lunch or at least a hot drink as often I can't stray far from where I'm using mine. I'm also careful to chose times and placements where other unwanted distractions are less likely to get into shot. The last bit being probably the most difficult.
2020-3-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

akozc Posted at 3-15 06:08
thanks for sharing the museum of the moon.  give a tump up on your channel

If it comes to your area it is definitely worth a visit. There were other thing going on in the evenings that required a booked and paid for ticket but by the time I knew about those events they were already sold out. I would have also liked to have turned up for an evening to see the globe illuminated from inside but just couldn't arrange enough time.

Thanks for the thumbs up.
It has only taken me a year to acquire 5 followers
At that rate I should be able to make a profit about ten years after I'm buried

Ray.
2020-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-15 08:45
Yup.Where possible I try to take images where there is somewhere to sit down and maybe have my lunch or at least a hot drink as often I can't stray far from where I'm using mine. I'm also careful to chose times and placements where other unwanted distractions are less likely to get into shot. The last bit being probably the most difficult.

I usually leave my camera alone. But that is a risk.
2020-3-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-15 08:41
I hope you find it as useful as I do. I should be out and about with mine again this Thursday with luck and hopefully no bans on public gatherings yet.

I find myself taking it everywhere.
2020-3-15
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 3-15 20:09
I find myself taking it everywhere.

Well, all public events have effectively been called off.
Universities are only doing lectures by video.
London is looking more like a ghost town.
I may have to start looking for mushrooms in my garden to record as there is little left to look at
2020-3-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-17 06:40
Well, all public events have effectively been called off.
Universities are only doing lectures by video.
London is looking more like a ghost town.

Im sure we will be there soon. Stay safe
2020-3-17
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 3-17 06:51
Im sure we will be there soon. Stay safe

Will do but more worried about cash flow than health at present.  I'm self employed and had some contracts cancelled. There isn't much panic here yet but there are signs of stress creeping into the public behaviour already.   
2020-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules