Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini lost connection while flying
4523 23 2020-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
imolina87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41526 ft
United States

Hi, this is my first post in this forum and sadly is not a happy one. I bought a mavic mini a month ago for a trip, I used it a couple of time to get familiar with it. Everything was perfect and I was really happy with it. But it started to do weird things, when I was connecting my phone (samsung galaxy s9) to the control remote and turn it on it restarted my phone (it happened I couple of times). Also, while flying I losed the connection with the drone, the first couple of time it reconnect fast and nothing happened but the third time it disconnected and it was unable to reconnect so the drone when down to the ground(I though it should come back to the landing point), with the bad luck that it landed in the seashore and it got hit by a wave. When I was able to get it it was all wet and full of sand. So, my mavic mini now is a paperweight. I send it to repair and now I'm waiting for dji to check if it was my fault or the drone's fault.

Did anyone has a similar experience of losing the connection without any reason?

Regards!

2020-3-12
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi imolina,

If you like post your flightlog using this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the upload link on here.

Was your starting point close to the waterfront?  if yes, when loosing connection within 20 meters of that point it will autoland. If at that point it flys above water....

cheers
JJB
2020-3-12
Use props
imolina87
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-12 04:17
Hi imolina,

If you like post your flightlog using this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Hi JJB, thanks for the reply. When it lost the connection it was with more than 20 meters, so I didn't expect the dron to autoland. The distance with the starting point was 172 meters. I will check if I can upload the logs as I never did it before.

Regards
2020-3-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes flight log hound help.

WiFi drones are likely to lose signal if flown in unsuitable environments, and although you may have flown in areas without problems, simple thing like what time you are flying can be the cause of increased interference, as jjb above has already stated there is a 20m rule for Rth it’s a mistake many have made, but worth reading manual to become aware of how Rth works.

Look forward to seeing your logs, hopefully your drone gets fixed soon, will give you time to read your manual .
2020-3-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry to know the incident happened to your unit. We're glad to know that you already sent your drone to our repair facility for us to conduct the necessary test on the said unit. Once done the damage assessment also if we already come up with a solution, we will update you via email. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2020-3-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Sorry for your loss. Only Flight Log and the analisis of experienced users such as the two above DJI Gamora, can help you loads with clarifying what really happened.
Entering a Blue zone can make the drone land without your control too...
Hope you can get a solution asap.
2020-3-12
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

It must be noted that RC disconnection is not the same problem of a drone going down to the ground. It goes down to the ground only if you're within SHORT range <20 m, and you should have been aware of that.

As for the disconnection you should describe more throughly the problem you're experiencing and how it was announced by the Fly app... if the remote remains linked or if it gets disconnected with flashing lights, if RTH is actually initiated when that happens (after 11 sec.) or if activity seems just suspended (and perhaps the RC is still linked and in control of the Aircraft).
2020-3-12
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, if you aren't flying far enough and have an issue it will land on the spot.  First days of flying these drones I was scared of flying over water but now they are so reliable I can go anywhere w/ them.  I don't have a Mini though.
2020-3-12
Use props
imolina87
lvl.1
United States

m80116 Posted at 3-12 15:28
It must be noted that RC disconnection is not the same problem of a drone going down to the ground. It goes down to the ground only if you're within SHORT range

Hi m80116, I was aware of the 20m range, and I was 172m away, that's why is weird that it went down. I loses connection with the remote and the mobile phone so I couldn't see or control it. It showed a red popup saying  something like dron disconnected or lost connection, I don't remember the exacts words.

The only thing I had was the find my dron option that showed the last position and thanks to that I found it in the seashore. I was lucky that it didn't fall in the middle of the ocean.

Hopefully the repair team can give me some answers of what happened.

Regards
2020-3-13
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

imolina87 Posted at 3-13 09:22
Hi m80116, I was aware of the 20m range, and I was 172m away, that's why is weird that it went down. I loses connection with the remote and the mobile phone so I couldn't see or control it. It showed a red popup saying  something like dron disconnected or lost connection, I don't remember the exacts words.

The only thing I had was the find my dron option that showed the last position and thanks to that I found it in the seashore. I was lucky that it didn't fall in the middle of the ocean.

but no flightlog yet....   
2020-3-13
Use props
imolina87
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-13 09:28
but no flightlog yet....

Sorry, I have been busy at work and I didn't have time to check how to post it.
Here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WOYMSI68R0SCR7QYCXFQ
2020-3-13
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

Did you subscribe to the Care Refresh ?

I am afraid they're going to classify it as a pilot error. For what I can see from the log it was a normal flight until the Mini was commanded beyond an obstacle and the remote predictably lost connection. That's why you should always operate in LoS (line of sight) and avoid going around objects (if not distinctively above them).

I steel feel your Mini might be recoverable after a deep cleaning and a new battery.

As for what happened I cannot understand as there's no trace in the log of the other re-connection attemps. Chances are it entered battery fail-safe landing before reaching RTH altitude (which was high at 81 meters) or reaching the home point.
2020-3-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It looks to me to be yet another case of uncommanded descent.
2020-3-13
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

It was commanded to descend as it went beyond an obstacle, at that point the connection was predictably lagged and compromised, it lost connection before it could react to the RC Up command. According to the last reaction time of the RC Dn the connection lag was about 2.5 seconds (header 3344 to 3354). I reckon too much to recover it.
2020-3-13
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

imolina87 Posted at 3-13 09:55
Sorry, I have been busy at work and I didn't have time to check how to post it.
Here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WOYMSI68R0SCR7QYCXFQ

Hi imolina,

Had a look at your log.

Not a single error in the log, thats good for a MM.  Batt levels OKE.

To me (seeing GE) it looks that the line of sight (applys for radio signals as well) was disturbed at the end; flying 6 meters above water at that distance with some green in beween.

At loosing connection MM should enter a RTH mode after 11 seconds.
But it did not!  After loosing connection MM stops the flying and goes into a hover.
MM was flying with a speed of 10 m/s at 6 meter height, pitch down angle 29 lowering to 14.5 (as you pulles up last few record) Loosing speed means pitch down to pitch up (high braking value), sometimes MM looses height doing this.
Guess this is what happend to your MM, it is was dry that moment it would have done a RTH.

In the log only 1 disconnect is there, so the other 'disconnects' must have been only short time a video link loss.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2020-3-14
Use props
imolina87
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-14 02:03
Hi imolina,

Had a look at your log.

Hi jjb,

Thanks for your analysis. I agree with you that MM should enter a RTH but I don't understand why it didn't. I will have to wait for the repair team to take a look.
I will let you know what I have more info.

Regards
2020-3-16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

imolina87 Posted at 3-16 01:47
Hi jjb,

Thanks for your analysis. I agree with you that MM should enter a RTH but I don't understand why it didn't. I will have to wait for the repair team to take a look.

Hi Imolina,

My pleasure to help.  Interesting to know what DJI will tell you.

cheers
JJB
2020-3-16
Use props
imolina87
lvl.1
United States

By the way, I have the video file from the crash in the sd card, but it is corrupted and I can't open it. I check and there is data in the file because the file is 200Mb.
Does anyone know how to recover it?
Thanks
2020-3-16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

imolina87 Posted at 3-16 01:56
By the way, I have the video file from the crash in the sd card, but it is corrupted and I can't open it. I check and there is data in the file because the file is 200Mb.
Thanks

https://www.nucleustechnologies. ... pt-mp4-video-files/
or

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/video-repair/dji-video-repair.html
2020-3-16
Use props
imolina87
lvl.1
United States

Hi guys,
As some of you were interested, I'm going to explain what has been my (horrible) experience with the support team.

I sent the drone to repair. After DJI received it, they sent me an invoice with the repair cost saying "No warranty, liquid damage". I replied to them saying that the problem was that the drone lost connection and perform a landing instead a RTH as it is expected.
So, they told me this:
"We are writing to update you with the data analysis result. It seems that the data was interrupted so that it leaves us without the internal diagnostics. The reason is probably because the drone was damaged to a certain extent that the app flight log was damaged. So the quotation remains the same on the basis of damage assessment result."
After this, we started some discussion by emails, me trying to get an answer on the drones behaviour and DJI support trying to make me accept to pay for the repair as the drone was damage with liquid. Firstly the offer to pay 50%, then 30% and now 40%. But they didn't give me any answer of why the drone didn't perform a RTH when it lost connection.
This is the reason why the repair is not been cover by the warranty (according to them): "the feedback is that we can not offer warranty for this because the reason that app record stopped abruptly was probably because of the drone was flying low close to the sea that it was hit by the waves. "
I sent them data proving that the drone couldn't get hit by a wave as it was flying at 8.9ft (2,7meters) as is shown in the logs and the sea was calm. But they are just repeating the same thing over and over and giving me no answer.

I don't know what else to do to try to get an answer. Do you have any advice???

Regards
2020-3-30
Use props
MavicMiniHaHa
New

United Kingdom

imolina87 Posted at 3-30 07:01
Hi guys,
As some of you were interested, I'm going to explain what has been my (horrible) experience with the support team.

8 feet over water ? are you sure, you were quite far away and over water I wouldnt trust the app to give an accurate height reading, ive seen many height variances with many quads when flying over water.
2020-3-30
Use props
DJI Sucks
lvl.1

Switzerland

I had a similar problem (Mavic Air lost connection, started to return to home, and then landed at a different point where it got lost) and I found the DJI support to be horrible.
They refused to take responsibility for the problem and after numerous back and forths, the best they offered me was a 15% discount on a new drone.
First and last time I'll ever buy from DJI.
2020-11-30
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

imolina87 Posted at 3-16 01:56
Thanks

to recover this video you should power on the drone(yours or another one)  with the microsd , ,open DJIFLY app and connect both ,, after this the video is "fixed" with the right header
2020-11-30
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

DJI Sucks Posted at 11-30 02:12
I had a similar problem (Mavic Air lost connection, started to return to home, and then landed at a different point where it got lost) and I found the DJI support to be horrible.
They refused to take responsibility for the problem and after numerous back and forths, the best they offered me was a 15% discount on a new drone.
First and last time I'll ever buy from DJI.
maybe the RTH point was upgraded if you moved ,,, on this case ,, the drone will back to the upgraded point and not to the initial take off point ,,, second possible reason is the drone went out of battery (5% if i am not wrong) and forced auto landing
2020-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules