What is the purpose you bought a drone ?
1632 27 2020-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Hi guys,

I'm wondering why you all bought a drone initially.

For myself, I'm not so much in it for the fun of flying a drone. It's an extension for my landscape photography. I got my first one to get a different angle on the landscape. It's a camera that can fly mainly for me. And I use it to get not only pictures from a higher perspective, but sometimes to get a shot from low over the water or get into a canyon down below. The "flying" camera tags along with my other equipment in my photobag.

Single SelectVote, Total 51 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

17.65% (9)
11.76% (6)
11.76% (6)
3.92% (2)
54.90% (28)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2020-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day JohnDG. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this poll on " What is the purpose you bought a drone ? ". I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI co pilots and there insights with regards to this matter. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-3-15
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2228182 ft
Belgium

I like to select them all.
2020-3-15
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need to add all of the above.
2020-3-15
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

TrippleDelta Posted at 3-15 09:15
I like to select them all.

can imagine that too. But the idea was to get to know your main reason why you bought one.
2020-3-15
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

Lucas775 Posted at 3-15 09:43
You need to add all of the above.

good idea  :-)  
2020-3-15
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I already voted "just for the fun of flying a drone", but It will be all of the above for me as well.
2020-3-15
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

Its a massive tripod for a still camera.
Thats 90% of the reason i wanted a drone.
2020-3-15
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

gnirtS Posted at 3-15 19:47
Its a massive tripod for a still camera.
Thats 90% of the reason i wanted a drone.

I was amazed to do long exposures, using a ND1000 filter, how still it stayed. Exposures of 1 to 2 seconds.
2020-3-15
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

For work. I dont especially enjoy flying, especially not with the public's often negative attitude towards it (here in the UK).

Had a few confrontations and contrary to expectations, not usually from more mature people.

You are either a a) pervert or b) intent on creating havoc.

All this does is putting me on edge when flying unless there is no one around which is tricky in this country.

I have a PfCO.

I now always carry a few copies of website pointers to current legislations which I give to anyone intent on moaning. I found that trying to explain/argue the point usually creates more problems than doing good. They always know better.

2020-3-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

First = Videography.
Second = Photography
I love how a drone gives me another tool in my bag.
2020-3-16
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

*DM* Posted at 3-16 01:05
For work. I dont especially enjoy flying, especially not with the public's often negative attitude towards it (here in the UK).

Had a few confrontations and contrary to expectations, not usually from more mature people.

as you say, couple years ago, in Iceland, I had an older couple (who am I to say, I'm 64 too :-) ) of the UK telling me that I couldn't fly there. It was not a "no fly" zone, neither did I fly over people. As I was retreving my drone at that moment, I didn't go into discussion with them.
I never did have any problems flying in Asia or with younger people around.

If I can, I try to fly at sunrise or sunset and on locations with less or no people.
And yes, they think you will peep into their bedrooms with your drone. If I would, with my telelens can get a closer image than with the wide angle on the drone.
2020-3-16
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

When I learned for my practical flying test, I contacted both local police and the park warden department prior to make sure I didnt contravene any local laws.

I then staked out my practise flying area with flags and the landing/take off area with cones and a warning sign. It was a local park with a childrens playground attached to it at the perimeter.

I was aggressively approached several times despite having kept far more than the required distance with one guy threatening to destroy my drone. Luckily I am 6ft3" and fit but regardless of that I do not enjoy confrontation.

More confrontations at other sites about 'are you allowed to fly here?' ... funny thing is when I then say yes they didnt take my word for it anyway ... hence I now simply hand a piece of paper out giving a web pointer to current legislation. I just cant be bothered to argue anymore. Even so it has ended in 'we are calling the police' on a couple of

I dont enjoy having to 'hide away' in order to follow a hobby.
2020-3-16
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

Been into photography for 25 years as a hobby and was getting frustrated when i simply couldnt get the shots that i wanted so decided to get a drone and learn the basics.

8 years on and now have 2 drones. I simply enjoy taking photos even though sometimes they are not perfect but as an art its subjective, what one likes the other doesnt.

I now rarely leave the house when out walking without throwing the mavic mini in my backback.

2020-3-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

All of the above
2020-3-16
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I like all aspects of flying.  Would be great if I had a great income without going to work, so I could freely go anywhere, anytime to fly.
2020-3-16
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2228182 ft
Belgium

JohnDG Posted at 3-15 09:45
can imagine that too. But the idea was to get to know your main reason why you bought one.

Now I see there's a #5. Maybe i looked over it.
2020-3-16
Use props
HurleyBird Productions
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Its all of the above for me. I've been a creative person all my life and love graphic design and video editing and capturing unique visuals. Having a drone can accommodate all those needs and wants. Like you mentioned in your post it really gives us a totally different perspective. They are fun to fly and most people who I encounter are really fascinated by them. Currently I am taking my hobby and morphing it into a business on the side.
2020-3-16
Use props
RK7dronzy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft
United Kingdom

I do not see any list that some people are referring too but i have my drone for fun in reality and not on a sim,
landscape pics which the camera i have is not good enough for,
and being able to document the reinstatment/renewell of the railway line going past us (4 years worth).
2020-3-17
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Chicks.
2020-3-18
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bump .....
2020-3-21
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

*DM* Posted at 3-16 01:34
When I learned for my practical flying test, I contacted both local police and the park warden department prior to make sure I didnt contravene any local laws.

I then staked out my practise flying area with flags and the landing/take off area with cones and a warning sign. It was a local park with a childrens playground attached to it at the perimeter.

Hi DM,

I heard of some more aggresive approaches in the UK. Drones seem to have a real bad reputation. I had only one confrontation in Iceland, a couple years ago with an older couple of the UK, claiming that didn't want me to fly. I took a higher spot, just not to disturb anybody. They just walked up the all way to tell me.

I meanly fly outside my own country, Belgium, as the rules are absurd (10 m high at your own property) or  go on a 2000 euro course, pay extra to do an exam and have a medical check if you want to fly upto 90 m.

Never had any problem in Asia. Just obaying the local laws of every country, keeping the drone in vieuw range and not endangering people. As my purpose is mainly still landscape photography, the drone is never far away from my location.
2020-3-21
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

RK7dronzy Posted at 3-17 08:05
I do not see any list that some people are referring too but i have my drone for fun in reality and not on a sim,
landscape pics which the camera i have is not good enough for,
and being able to document the reinstatment/renewell of the railway line going past us (4 years worth).

Hi RK7drozy,

I noticed that the selection is not visible on a smart phone. Try logging in on the forum on a pc.
2020-3-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.facebook.com/aerial.traffica

Randy
2020-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Just as an enthusiastic photographer and also someone who had some experience making drones as a hobby, I started with photography but have dabbled in video, I also operate a much bigger drone for a company surveying wind turbines and am a member of an SAR group .
2020-3-24
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 03:24
Just as an enthusiastic photographer and also someone who had some experience making drones as a hobby, I started with photography but have dabbled in video, I also operate a much bigger drone for a company surveying wind turbines and am a member of an SAR group .

Nice when you can make from your hobby your work
2020-3-24
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

all of the above, the best hobby I've ever had, I try to fly everyday weather permitting, I will never tire from this hobby.
2020-3-24
Use props
Eralp SAYGIN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668734 ft
Turkey

It will change according to your creativity Especially without breaking aerial rules
2020-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules