Choosing tablet for P3 pro and necessity of cellular/gps
1885 6 2015-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
devin_mcnulty
lvl.1

United States

Hi, I'm just wondering what people think is the best ios tablet to use with the P3. Also, does the tablet need to have cellular/gps, and if it doesn't what are the benefits of a tablet with vs. the wifi only?
Thank you.

2015-6-13
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

I have tried ipad mini and ipad air.  I prefer the larger screen of the ipad air.  You don't need cellular unless you want to live stream to YouTube.
2015-6-27
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1140725 ft
United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-28 01:31
I have tried ipad mini and ipad air.  I prefer the larger screen of the ipad air.  You don't need ce ...

Hello there:

I have no Apple because I really like open-source but that being said because of the lag and no simulator in the android app I am looking at my first Apple...I heard that mini 3 or above will be the only apple mini aloud to upgrade OS and I was really looking at the air 2 for my self with the pilot app and having no Apple in my line-up to date I am wondering how much memory will I need for the app to work with out lag and how will get my pics and vids in to my PC world to edit and play with...?
2015-6-27
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

mdazel Posted at 2015-6-28 05:25
Hello there:

I have no Apple because I really like open-source but that being said because of the ...

The pics and vids don't depend on the ipad to get to your PC.  The pics and vids are on the bird's sd card . . . all you do is take the card out and plug it into your PC.  If your PC has USB3, then the sd card adapter should also be USB3 compatible for faster file transfer.  Not sure about the lag question . . . haven't experienced that myself.
2015-6-28
Use props
Flying Gecko
lvl.1

Denmark

Hey guys,
Sorry for bumping this thread but felt it better than to start a new.

I need to buy a tablet pronto and am in between the "DJI proven" Nexus 7II and the cheap but powerful Xiaomi Mipad. I live in Shanghai and can get both quite cheap.
But one come with GPS, the other doesn't. Is GPS on the controller/tablet side needed? Will it be needed once/if DJI implements follow-me and similar modes?
(BTW, I wont spent on an iPad (even though I work on Macs and have an iPhone and old iPad). But I find that I just never really use my old iPad anymore so don't want to splash on an expensive one that will only be used for the P3P.)
2015-7-15
Use props
Flying Gecko
lvl.1

China

Flying Gecko Posted at 2015-7-16 14:01
Hey guys,
Sorry for bumping this thread but felt it better than to start a new.

OK, so I went with a cheap Xiaomi mipad. Easily available, even second-hand, in China where I am based.
Hardware-wise it punches substantially above its price, "Retina" screen seems OK so far though I need to stick a matte screen protector on it and get a proper hood.

I couldn't get the Pilot app to connect at first but a simple reboot solved that. Also, once in a while the DJI Pilot app wont open from "sleep" but it sounds worse than it is. If I kill the app, and open it from scratch works (closing apps works the same as on an iOS device).

Apart from having to remember to start the Pilot app fresh and not from sleep, on the few flights so far, it has behaved impeccably. No issues at all.

It doesn't come with a GPS though... Since I am still just learning to fly it hasn't been an issue yet. But without a GPS on the controller side I can't change Home Point to the controller nor will I be able to use "Follow-me" modes once they get implemented.

The way around that would be to hook up the tab to a Bluetooth GPS or a phone with GPS. The tab can do that (just not with iPhones, I think). But I don't know if the Bluetooth is a source of interference best avoided.

Anyways, for the USD 130 I paid for this thing, I am happy that I am flying and have no real issues.
2015-7-18
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I use the iPad Air 2 for a lag-free experience. It also has the added anti-glare coating. My version is with cellular support and GPS. Very useful when you want  to do a live stream to Toutube, or just have the maps working in a non wifi area. Also if you want to lock the home point to your device you need to have a GPS chip in that device.
2015-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules