Mavic Mini takes a hit mid-air!
673 5 2020-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1929918 ft
United States

So I was out with the Mavic Mini over the weekend and encountered an odd incident.  I had been flying away from my location down the waters edge on the beach and transitioned into a climb and pan shot... I started to notice some lag on the CS display ad was a little concerned about possibly loosing signal (even though I wasn't that far away, there's lots of 5Ghz wifi where I live). So, I turned the mini back to my location and started flying it back towards myself while I was watching the video on the display.... then, all of a sudden BAM!!! I see the video looks like the Mini is tumbling mid-air!

I looked up in it's direction, but couldn't pick it or anything else out in a quick glance before looking back at screen and seeing flight had re-stabilized.

Needless to say, I was a little freaked out. Not knowing what happened, I kept the drone closer for the remained of the flight which went w/o incident.

Upon analyzing the flight data in AirData I was fully expecting to see some "Lost Link" or some crazy error code, but nothing, except you can clearly see the Mini gets knocked around and it's direction chages abruptly.

Here is a link to download a short bit of video from the Mini and a playback on AirData.

http://download.montaukdronestar.com/20200315_bird_attack.mp4

At this point, the best I can figure is it was hit by a bird, half-heartedly... but I'm curious if anyone has any insights or observations, or has experienced anything similar that was NOT caused by a bird?

Thanks!

2020-3-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You might want to post this in the 'products' forum under the MM part.
There are more experts active in that region!
2020-3-18
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

Might have been a (minor) bird strike. Good thing it didn't crash though.
2020-3-18
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1929918 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-18 07:05
You might want to post this in the 'products' forum under the MM part.
There are more experts active in that region!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that.
2020-3-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MontaukDrone Posted at 3-18 11:33
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that.

No problem
2020-3-18
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm calling it a bird hit.
2020-3-18
Use props
Advanced