Mavic 2 Zoom shadow noise
1013 6 2020-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr.Pilot
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi, I`m currently testshooting with the M2 zoom in D-cinelike and some ND filters. I notice that no matter what setting im recording in I get allot of noise in shadows/dark spots. I always use the histogram to set the right exposure. See the the testfootage in the link below.

https://we.tl/t-vWBxTGPh1N

First clip settings:
- Manual
- ND16PL filter
- ISO 100
- Shutter 1/60
- D-cinelike
- Style: +1, 0, 0
- 4k30
- H.265
- WB Sunny

Second clip settings:
- Manual
- ND8PL filter
- ISO 100
- Shutter 1/60
- D-cinelike
- Style: +1, 0, 0
- 4k30
- H.265
- WB Sunny

Third clip:
- Manual
- No filter
- ISO 100 - 800??
- Shutter 1/60
- Color: Normal
- 4k30
- H.265
- WB Sunny

Both clips have allot of noise on the rooftops. With the ND8 filter it is overexposed and still i get the noise. I have also included an older video I recorded with the M2 zoom but I don`t know the exact settings on the footage. The third one has no noise in it and it looks very good to me. All clips are not graded and straight from the drone itself. Does anyone know whats causing the noise and how I can improve or get rid of it in future flights? I also tested with normal and D-cinelike but for some reason I can`t recreate the quality of the third clip.

2020-3-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Can you show examples?
2020-3-19
Use props
SLiWooDy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I looked at your footage, and you are asking a lot from the cameras dynamic range filming into the sun like that.
But with D cine like, if you put it into a video editor and up the contrast (using a histogram to not blow it out) it looks pretty awesome! the shadows become a lot better.
2020-3-20
Use props
Mr.Pilot
lvl.1
Netherlands

SLiWooDy Posted at 3-20 13:43
I looked at your footage, and you are asking a lot from the cameras dynamic range filming into the sun like that.
But with D cine like, if you put it into a video editor and up the contrast (using a histogram to not blow it out) it looks pretty awesome! the shadows become a lot better.

Thanks for the tip, but the sun isn`t the problem. The noise always appears when shooting in D-cinelike. I`ve another clip included with no direct sunlight. If you look on the left site in the shadow you can see the noise or snowy effect in the clip. I want to know what is causing it.

Settings:
- Manual
- ND 16
- ISO 100
- Shutter 1/60
- Color: D-Cinelike
- 4k30
- H.265
- WB Sunny

Clip: https://we.tl/t-tqQdrZgHi4
2020-3-22
Use props
SLiWooDy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126234 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mr.Pilot Posted at 3-22 08:45
Thanks for the tip, but the sun isn`t the problem. The noise always appears when shooting in D-cinelike. I`ve another clip included with no direct sunlight. If you look on the left site in the shadow you can see the noise or snowy effect in the clip. I want to know what is causing it.

Settings:

You are aware that D-Cinelike is a profile that needs post processing?
2020-3-22
Use props
Mr.Pilot
lvl.1
Netherlands

SLiWooDy Posted at 3-22 09:44
You are aware that D-Cinelike is a profile that needs post processing?

Yes I do. The last clip I shared is colour graded. Only thing I am not sure about is that you need to apply noise reduction on it?
2020-3-23
Use props
fans163ba449
New

Germany

Sorry my english ist nötig so Gold. I User Mavic 2 Zoom and DJI Smart Controller. Where I install SD Card. Copter or Smartcontroller
2020-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules