First flight test crash
1661 21 2015-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SacTownRob
lvl.1

United States

So I started up my P3 and all appears fine. I see the image from the camera on my android, etc... Its in beginner mode and asks to swipe the screen to ascend 3.9ft. The fans sounds like they are going real fast and the P3 flips over and the props wont stop til I grab it and manually power it off. Happened twice so far and damaged 3 props so far. Any Ideas? Are the props supposed to go on certain wings? It appears that some props are certain colors on top and when screwing onto the wings some appear harder to screw on...

Thanks,

Robert
2015-6-13
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

Ummm - the props with the black tops go on the motors with the black screws , The silver props go on the motors with the silver screws . The look at the top of the props , they will show you the direction you turn them to tighten or loosen them . Did you look at / read  the manual at all ?? ..You get the manual and more HERE
2015-6-13
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

I feel like this thread is so ridiculous that it has to be a troll. How do you spend this much money on a quad and not know that there are dedicated props. Makes you wonder about all the crashes and fails people are reporting.
2015-6-13
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

The threads on the motors won't allow the wrong prop to tighten down....  So I really don't understand how in the world that can be screwed up....   And I can't believe someone would create a thread on this..,  the very beginning of the manual covers this even.. It's like page 4!
2015-6-13
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-6-14 14:21
The threads on the motors won't allow the wrong prop to tighten down....  So I really don't understa ...

I believe some people will be stupid enough to force the prop to screw to the wrong motor
the old style metal inserts would be hard to cross thread , but the new nylon centres would
be able to cut a new thread on the wrong prop if enough force was used and they used the
supplied spanner to hold the motor ,   nothing would surprise me what some people do after
reading posts since last year lol
2015-6-14
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

uptowndisco@hot Posted at 2015-6-14 19:08
I believe some people will be stupid enough to force the prop to screw to the wrong motor
the old  ...

Gotta be a troll. I don't want to risk my Phantom, but it just seems it would take a great deal of effort to put the opposite-threaded prop on a motor shaft.
2015-6-14
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

I almost cried laughing while reading this ;.)
2015-6-14
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

Not only did I cry but I peed myself    hahahahah
2015-6-14
Use props
dhillssr
lvl.2

United States

Don't be a jerks, the dumbest question is the one never asked. You guys act like you came out of the womb knowing everything.
2015-6-14
Use props
MikeAngelo
lvl.2

United States

dhillssr Posted at 2015-6-14 23:01
Don't be a jerks, the dumbest question is the one never asked. You guys act like you came out of the ...

Texans are just more tolerant
2015-6-14
Use props
magart2.hotmail
lvl.2
United States

Hi Robert, mine did the same thing, although it only did it once. My props were attached properly so I don't have an answer as to why it happened. Also not everyone on this forum are as critical as some. This forum is a great resource of information. I am also a newbie at this and have had a lot of questions answered by just reading things here.
2015-6-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Read about - and do - an advanced IMU calibration.

My P3 tips and hints thread:
http://www.droneflyers.com/talk/ ... tips-and-fixes.969/
2015-6-14
Use props
phobarb
lvl.1

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-15 00:31
Read about - and do - an advanced IMU calibration.

My P3 tips and hints thread:

Well I had my first crash a flip over on landing I was trying to shut down motors, minor damage on props. Took it up again everything works fine. Sometimes you get lucky. I experimented with landing and now understand what happened. When I shut down motors I don't touch the right stick, I pull the left stick strait back only,this is what works for me. I am new to flying, unlike some others here who know all already, I have to learn something new to me. Hope this helps others to learn.
2015-6-14
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

have you found out what is wrong and or fixed this issue? Further, I was not being a jerk or being critical and I am as green as you to all this but I can tell you that when I prepared myself to spend $1300 and another $1000 on extras, I read, read some more, and read more tip I had a headache….then I read some more. Very first things to do is fully charge bat and RC, get the latest Pilot app, make sure latest firmware is installed, calibrate IMU and gimbal……that eliminates lot of issues. For the record, I did or should I say didn't do something and thought my bird was DOA…I forgot to plug device into the RC  lol
2015-6-14
Use props
phobarb
lvl.1

United States

I'm not sure the issue can be fixed, as it is me, I'm too old to get fixed. The problem was improper use of the controls read my above post. I found that you can adjust the control sticks length so I lengthened the stick and now have a lot better control the sticks are more responsive now.   
2015-6-14
Use props
SacTownRob
lvl.1

United States

Glad I could amuse some of you and I dont blame some of you for laughing at me. It was funny after I figured it out. I guess I was too anxious to get my P3 up and running. Took me braking 3 props but I got her up and running! Thanks to those that replied with some positive feedback, support and info! Appreciated.

Have a good day everyone!
2015-6-15
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

At least you have humility
But come on man, read the manual before you seriously hurt someone or something
2015-6-15
Use props
SacTownRob
lvl.1

United States

Your right Oliver. I think those props could take a finger off. I want to get guards for the props but dont see any listed to purchase?
2015-6-15
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

SacTownRob Posted at 2015-6-16 06:53
Your right Oliver. I think those props could take a finger off. I want to get guards for the props b ...

I never try and judge people who post in the forum . We all were green at one time . Many people need to read this " If you have nothing nice to say or type , say or type nothing at all .... "
2015-6-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

SacTownRob Posted at 2015-6-16 06:53
Your right Oliver. I think those props could take a finger off. I want to get guards for the props b ...

Prop guards are available for the P3 now. Make sure you get the prop guard for the P3 not the P2. they look the same but have shorter screws.
2015-6-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

SacTownRob Posted at 2015-6-15 22:53
Glad I could amuse some of you and I dont blame some of you for laughing at me. It was funny after I ...

Good to hear you got it fixed. Please make sure you read the owners manual cover to cover.
2015-6-15
Use props
SacTownRob
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the info DJI-Dave. I will be ordering some props and the guards when I come back from camping this weekend. Im not taking my P3 with me because im not ready to fly it for any amount of distance. Im practicing in my garage until I feel real comfortable with everything.
2015-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules