Any limitation with smart controller ?
1306 6 2020-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cho7
lvl.2
France

Hi there. My Mavic 1 Pro just crashed after a few years of service, and I'm planning to buy a new one.
I already have DJI Goggles, and if my understanding is correct they should be still compatible with the Mavic 2 ?

Also, I saw that a new smart controller now exists and which will allow me to keep my phone in my pocket.

I love the idea, but as far as I know, if I wanted to use my mavic 1 without my phone, I would not be able to flight further than a few meters away, which was useless.

Has this limitation been dropped with the smart controller ? Will I be able to flight as far away as I could with simply the drone and the smart controller ? Or will I have to somehow link it to my phone anyway ?

Thanks !
2020-3-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

With M2 yes you can fly as far as the drone is limited to, and it’s a great piece of equipment.
2020-3-23
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the SC you always have a screen so flight is not restricted. It acts the same as your phone.
2020-3-23
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

The smart controller works as like the standard controller, but with a sceen (like your smart phone) attached to it. It works on Android and the Go4 app is installed on it. With some tricks, copying android apps to a sd card, you can even run Litchi or other apps on it, So, just like a normal controller with an attached smart phone. The only restriction is that you can't make phone calls with it.

For the rest nothing but advantages. No plugs or cable problems and you got a clear view.

The only thing is, it doesn't work with the Mavic 1, nor the Mavic Mini. Only Mavic Pro 2 and Mavic 2 Zoom.

2020-3-23
Use props
cho7
lvl.2
France

BigBird-2 Posted at 3-23 14:16
With the SC you always have a screen so flight is not restricted. It acts the same as your phone.

It was already the case with the Goggles, and as far as I recall, without my phone on the remote controller, I was not able to flight far away with solely the googles and the controller :-/
2020-3-23
Use props
cho7
lvl.2
France

JohnDG Posted at 3-23 23:39
The smart controller works as like the standard controller, but with a sceen (like your smart phone) attached to it. It works on Android and the Go4 app is installed on it. With some tricks, copying android apps to a sd card, you can even run Litchi or other apps on it, So, just like a normal controller with an attached smart phone. The only restriction is that you can't make phone calls with it.

For the rest nothing but advantages. No plugs or cable problems and you got a clear view.

Thanks. Yep, I know for the Mavic 1 non-compatibility, which is fine since mine has been literally destroyed after an unfortunate crash :-)

I also see nothing but advantage to have such controller. I always complained about the non-standalone nature of the controler+smartphone combo. What if DJI stops producing a mobile app (who know ?)

Now we have a true standalone product without any dependency with the outside world.
2020-3-24
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

I would say biggest limit of smart controller is that you can't really install/use  any additional android apps for flying. I for example would like to use Drone harmony on it (if i buy it), but doesn't work, i think Litchi also don't.
They should leave such a expensive controller with open android, imo.
2020-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules