3188 25 2020-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pashi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

This is what can happens with new original props in some conditions. Maybe DJI can make custom carbon props for Mini? I will be happy to buy them!
2020-3-24
Use props
Richard Hopkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 923406 ft
United States

Pashi, I flu 38 miles  with the ones that came with the Mini and the propellers were still good had to changed them because I was getting a Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 41 times) because of all the crashes into tree branches, no problems after I changed them,  they make good propellers Wish they would make color ones makes the Mini look cool!
2020-3-24
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

Richard Hopkins Posted at 3-24 02:50
Pashi, I flu 38 miles  with the ones that came with the Mini and the propellers were still good had to changed them because I was getting a Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 41 times) because of all the crashes into tree branches, no problems after I changed them,  they make good propellers Wish they would make color ones makes the Mini look cool!

I talking not about coolness but about safety. First rule of Aviation all over the World - Safety First! If you didn't noticed - there is a flutter effect of the blades in this video and they hitting body of the multicopter.
2020-3-24
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Richard Hopkins Posted at 3-24 02:50
Pashi, I flu 38 miles  with the ones that came with the Mini and the propellers were still good had to changed them because I was getting a Not Enough Force/ESC Error (repeated 41 times) because of all the crashes into tree branches, no problems after I changed them,  they make good propellers Wish they would make color ones makes the Mini look cool!

Our experience was a little difference. I changed mine about a week after I got my mini because I gently kissed a wall and the edge of 2 of them were rough. Better safe than sorry.

The upside is that since I flew less than 1 mile on OEM props, I've never ONCE had the "Not enough force" error. Yes, it's to a scientific datapoint but I think the aftermarket props are actually better. Better at least than the ones that ship ON the  mini.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-3-24
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Why did DJI put soft foam in the front arms? Stiffer inserts, as already described here, are already in use. Unfortunately no reports about it ...
2020-3-24
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

The video could confirm my guess.
#33 https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2110367
2020-3-24
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I never noticed this problem on my Mini. I think it would be interesting to disassemble and check them for consistency against each other, I mean the two blades coming from the same propeller.
2020-3-24
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

Cal Evans Posted at 3-24 04:15
Our experience was a little difference. I changed mine about a week after I got my mini because I gently kissed a wall and the edge of 2 of them were rough. Better safe than sorry.

The upside is that since I flew less than 1 mile on OEM props, I've never ONCE had the "Not enough force" error. Yes, it's to a scientific datapoint but I think the aftermarket props are actually better. Better at least than the ones that ship ON the  mini.

Can you please share a link which are you using?
2020-3-24
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
United States

Pashi Posted at 3-24 05:32
Can you please share a link which are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered my second box of them.
(Says more about my abilities as a pilot than the quality of the props)

Cheers!
=C=
2020-3-24
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

Cal Evans Posted at 3-24 05:39
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082DHM22B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered my second box of them.

Thanks! Will give them a try. But anyway, will be happy to see genuine DJI carbon fiber blades (or just tougher) And waiting for DJI to respond.
2020-3-24
Use props
Mavixx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 993100 ft
Germany

DaMa Posted at 3-24 04:22
Why did DJI put soft foam in the front arms? Stiffer inserts, as already described here, are already in use. Unfortunately no reports about it ...

I've heard they did it to save weight, to stay below th 250 gr
2020-3-24
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
United States

Pashi Posted at 3-24 05:45
Thanks! Will give them a try. But anyway, will be happy to see genuine DJI carbon fiber blades (or just tougher) And waiting for DJI to respond.

I would LOVE to see carbon fiber props, esp DJI. Would buy in a heartbeat.

=C=
2020-3-24
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

Mavixx Posted at 3-24 06:25
I've heard they did it to save weight, to stay below th 250 gr

I had original DJI carbon fiber blades for Phantom 2 and they was few grams lighter than plastic ones. I believe they can deal with this task)
2020-3-24
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Pashi Posted at 3-24 03:45
I talking not about coolness but about safety. First rule of Aviation all over the World - Safety First! If you didn't noticed - there is a flutter effect of the blades in this video and they hitting body of the multicopter.

Only noticed it on one of the rotors. The left one if observing it head on.
2020-3-24
Use props
wictor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79436 ft

Germany

Did you replace both props on one motor? It looks like your props are unbalanced. You are always intended to swap both of them at a time.
2020-3-24
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

It's a plausible explanation: if a blade develops enough play, the way you indicated, under load the air resistance would cause it to get flatter and the tip might end up with negative pitch and be pushed down. And since they are paper-thin, they might bend to the point of touching the arm or body of the AC, which are below the prop mounting point. Whatever the reason, it's pretty clear from the video that the front-right props are flapping around like crazy.

I'm re-posting here below your image (and another) from the other thread, as it might help people visualizing what we're talking about:

005211u02unn9nn0ov3xy6.jpg
040041iaiaf6j6609xizzj.jpg
2020-3-24
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

120ccpm Posted at 3-24 17:24
It's a plausible explanation: if a blade develops enough play, the way you indicated, under load the air resistance would cause it to get flatter and the tip might end up with negative pitch and be pushed down. And since they are paper-thin, they might bend to the point of touching the arm or body of the AC, which are below the prop mounting point. Whatever the reason, it's pretty clear from the video that the front-right props are flapping around like crazy.

I'm re-posting here below your image (and another) from the other thread, as it might help people visualizing what we're talking about:

I also see in the video that the whole arm vibrates before the violent rashes occur. Propellers with no deformation (due to transportation) seem to be important. Why DJI stiffened the rear arms and not the front is a mystery to me – reduces damage in the event of a crash ??
Interference may play a role. Two such shaky issues that interact can actually be a problem for the IMU. The whole thing can happen undetected by the pilot....
2020-3-25
Use props
werdschowern
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20427 ft
Germany

By strong wind or high speed fluttering of the props will be normal. The currently forwarding prop. has more uplift than the backwarding prop.  Perhaps the props are to soft.
2020-3-25
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

wictor Posted at 3-24 14:57
Did you replace both props on one motor? It looks like your props are unbalanced. You are always intended to swap both of them at a time.

They are new, out of the box, unchanged, no crashes.
2020-3-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Cal Evans Posted at 3-24 11:29
I would LOVE to see carbon fiber props, esp DJI. Would buy in a heartbeat.

=C=

To be honest I'm not sure if the carbon fiber is the way, because of small size, complicated manufacturing and high precision needed. But I believe that true upgrade props for MM still can be created.

It is a massive vibration in video above, I think there's more serious problem (wrong assembly or defective part?) than soft prop blade in this case...
2020-3-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for your suggestion, we'll forward your feedback to the related team.
However, why doesn't the Mavic Mini use the propellers used by other Mavic series aircraft instead of its own kind of propellers, hope the below answer helps you understand it:
To reduce weight and ensure performance, we designed these brand-new Mavic Mini propellers. Although the quick-release propellers are easy to remove, none of the quick-release propeller designs we tested could satisfy our weight requirement. After testing, we chose this propeller arrangement, which was the most durable design and frees users from frequent assembly and disassembly.
Should there any further questions, please feel free to let us know. We appreciate your kind understanding and support.
2020-3-25
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

@ Natalia "... which was the most durable design..." The word "most" probably slipped in by mistake
2020-3-25
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

DaMa Posted at 3-25 00:07
I also see in the video that the whole arm vibrates before the violent rashes occur. Propellers with no deformation (due to transportation) seem to be important. Why DJI stiffened the rear arms and not the front is a mystery to me – reduces damage in the event of a crash ??
Interference may play a role. Two such shaky issues that interact can actually be a problem for the IMU. The whole thing can happen undetected by the pilot....

The arm might be vibrating when the props begin to flutter. Very difficult to tell from the video what comes first.
2020-3-25
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Seems like I saw a vid of the MM, and the "flexiness" of the front arms was "shown", and it looked waay to flimsy in my opinion.
Add to the fact that the props can start to flutter, that can setup a very bad harmonic oscillation on the arms, which, can influence the load/demand on the esc's.
One can only tighten a banjo string so much...

2020-3-25
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

120ccpm Posted at 3-25 08:01
The arm might be vibrating when the props begin to flutter. Very difficult to tell from the video what comes first.

That's why I wrote "... before the violent rashes occur". What starts there first? Both affect each other.
2020-3-25
Use props
Pashi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

I think addition of carbon fiber will not affect the weight because old DJI Phantom 2 carbon fiber blades have less weight than plastic ones and was very tough.
2020-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules