1381 13 2020-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jperkmr954
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1228609 ft
United States

Greetings everyone!
I have had my mini for about maybe 2 months now and I really love it! Getting more comfortable with it and how it maneuvers. Pleased with my first drone purchase.

My brother is Part 107 cert and flies a M2P with an apple tablet and mavmount setup. I really think it would be good to have a larger screen than my phone, but I'm not sure if this can be done with a Mini yet or at all. I am an android user, but I am ok with using a IPad if they are easier to locate, stable, relatively low price, ect.

Is there an approved tablet list that is out, or has anyone been able to run the fly app and use a tablet with the Mini? Any additional things needed? I did wonder do you need a cellular-capable tablet, or can you run a WIFI only tab?

Thanks everyone!
2020-3-24
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

It must have a 64bit chipset and more importantly a 64bit Android OS for the green side. No idea about iOS.
2020-3-24
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

Question, If I were to run a WiFi only tablet - the GPS and location services come from the controller correct and not the phone/tablet? Just trying to make sure I understand how this works when looking at options.
2020-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

jperkmr954 Posted at 3-24 06:34
Question, If I were to run a WiFi only tablet - the GPS and location services come from the controller correct and not the phone/tablet? Just trying to make sure I understand how this works when looking at options.

Yes you’re correct, you can if you need cache maps in the app, but flying drones for many years now think I might have used maps once .
2020-3-24
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 07:41
Yes you’re correct, you can if you need cache maps in the app, but flying drones for many years now think I might have used maps once .

Thank you - so then a wifi only tablet can work because the controls come from the controller for GPS.....

Now I need to see about what tablets work and how they are connected.... Looks like Im going to need an ipad.... just want to know which one....
2020-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

jperkmr954 Posted at 3-24 07:43
Thank you - so then a wifi only tablet can work because the controls come from the controller for GPS.....

Now I need to see about what tablets work and how they are connected.... Looks like Im going to need an ipad.... just want to know which one....

I don’t use one, but have in the past mini 4 is a great choice can be picked up pretty cheap if you choose refurb , keeping it as a dedicated device saves a lot of hassle and messing around.

So yes WiFi is just fine.
2020-3-24
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-24 08:23
I don’t use one, but have in the past mini 4 is a great choice can be picked up pretty cheap if you choose refurb , keeping it as a dedicated device saves a lot of hassle and messing around.

So yes WiFi is just fine.

I'll look into the Mini 4 - I believe I recall seeing the Air 2 also. I just dont need to go with a pro or anything.
2020-3-24
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-24 14:41
The drone has its own internal GPS.  The RC determines its location from the GPS in the attached device.  The RC itself has no GPS.  If you are using a WiFi-only device you can wirelessly tether it to your phone's HotSpot if you have that feature available.  

Note that WiFi--only Apple devices do not have a GPS.  Most Android devices include GPS.

Ah ok..... that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying!
2020-3-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want to stick with Android, I am using a Samsung Tab A SM-T290 specifically (other sub-models may not work). It's not on the approved list and you have to side-load the software, but it works fine and is only about $150 new or $100 used. I paid $85. It's an 8" tablet and will not fit in the controller clamps so you must use a mount.
2020-3-24
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-24 19:01
If you want to stick with Android, I am using a Samsung Tab A SM-T290 specifically (other sub-models may not work). It's not on the approved list and you have to side-load the software, but it works fine and is only about $150 new or $100 used. I paid $85. It's an 8" tablet and will not fit in the controller clamps so you must use a mount.
[view_image]

Love that setup! I'd be curious to see what is on the approved list - but that is a similar setup that I am looking to do with a mount!!

I'll eventually figure it out!
2020-3-25
Use props
gort
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Try this....
https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18
2020-3-25
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
United States

I've come across that before, and that is why this leaded to me towards leaning towards an IPad product. It seems the IPad Air 2 should work. Looking like you would need to have the latest OS in order to be able to DL the app in the play store. Other than that, an OTG cable seems to be needed and then you can connect the tablet to the Mini controller and then add into a mount.
2020-3-25
Use props
BigBird-2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 3-24 05:49
You can pickup a used Asus ZenPad Z8s on ebay.  Works great.   Fits in the RC with no adapter needed.  Built-in LTE if you want to install a SIM, or tether it to your phone's HotSpot.

Ipad mini 4 fits the controller also and works well for me. The Ipad mini has a higher resolution than the Air from what I've read.
2020-3-25
Use props
djiuser_E4q5VXRVdwG4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

EVERYBIDY!!!! AFTER READING 1000 FORUMS 10 HOURS PER DAY FOR WEEKS. I FOUND A 10 INCH TABLET FOR MY MAVIC MINI AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!! the funny thing is that there's no information about it online. Had to test and it and I'm glad I did. Its made my flying 1000 times more fun. The attention to detail you get and the things you see which you don't see on your normal phone... Its the Huawei mediapad M5 lite with 7500mah. Any question or videos. Ask me
2020-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules