Super resolution composite in low light.
1041 15 2020-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

This is one of those photos built up from multiple shots and stitched together. Taken on a Mavic Pro.
Because of the relatively low angle for the distant landscape but very steep angle for the foreground, lens distortion made stitching more luck than judgement.
This is the penalty of relatively low altitude shots with a large difference in perspective. In the end, I stitched patches of several frames and then adjusted the perspective in Photoshop CS so those patches would stitch to form a whole picture. It was then necessary to adjust the perspective again and crop away all the jagged edges.
The resulting image size is a massive 4944 x 2992 at 300 dpi and a bit depth of 24
Exposure was 1/40, ISO 100, Exposure bias +0.7 so the process was manual to keep all images lit the same. I worked from the DNG (or RAW) files because, at that time of the morning, the unlit town was very dark, compared with the bright sunrise. With so many frames to stitch, there were 37 altogether, stacking was not a reasonable option.
Wind was about 5 miles per hour and no gusts.
I was delighted to see the clarity of detail in the final 15.5mb image, after flattening. It is a pity the reduced resolution image shown here has lost all that. An enlargement of some small yachts in the harbour still shows the faintest lines of their rigging. Not bad for a drone camera, I reckon.

Alderney aerial (brightened) 10-07-19.jpg
Rigging.jpg
2020-3-24
Use props
Pictures from Above
lvl.4
Flight distance : 493750 ft
Bulgaria

I guess the stitching and everything took quite an amount of time, but the result is great
2020-3-24
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Pictures from Above Posted at 3-24 12:58
I guess the stitching and everything took quite an amount of time, but the result is great

Yes, the stitching and messing about took a morning. I could see the potential, so I was determined to make it work. Thank you.
2020-3-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice shot.
2020-3-24
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Great work, nicely done.
2020-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, you did a great job!
That lens distortion is really an issue when you fly more low.
Too bad autopano giga does not have a lens profile for the MP.
I have some stacks waiting that are even more low that won't get stitched properly.
2020-3-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good shots!
2020-9-10
Use props
nepetabloodp
lvl.1

Russia

Man, this shot is awesome! Great work and nicely done! Very beautiful sunset over the amazing city
2020-9-10
Use props
Barney Meyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 892 ft
Australia

Sorry, but the sample image that you are sharing is only 1280x774px. That does not show the capability of the drone. Could you please upload a full size image?
2022-5-8
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sorry Barney, that isn't possible on this site. That is why I added the zoomed in piece.
The image covers a large tabletop, under glass and is about 74mb. Even on that print you can just make out the rigging wires.
However, the point of the image and post was to demonstrate that any camera can produce very high resolution images if you get close to the subject and create a mosaic to build the full image.This is quite different to using the drone to create a piano.
Having built this picture, I was surprised at how sharp the detail was bearing in mind it was an early sunrise shot. Noise was remarkably low and not noticed in the wonder and awe of the image to photographers on the island.
2022-5-8
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

You did a great job with that stitching, couldn't have known anything about it unless it was mentioned. :-)
2022-5-9
Use props
djiuser_Ncp5glVyYOLh
lvl.2

Australia

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-8 22:46
Sorry Barney, that isn't possible on this site. That is why I added the zoomed in piece.
The image covers a large tabletop, under glass and is about 74mb. Even on that print you can just make out the rigging wires.
However, the point of the image and post was to demonstrate that any camera can produce very high resolution images if you get close to the subject and create a mosaic to build the full image.This is quite different to using the drone to create a piano.

Thanks Alan! Your post was very interesting. The quad bayer sensor of Sony is amazing. I am using pixel-shift technology in my SonyA7R4 (60Mpx) to capture 240Mpx images. That is achieved by holding the camera and subject rock-steady and shifting the sensor 4 times then compositing externally in powerful software. It does give a great improvement in detail. However, keeping a drone still enough to do this, and having long enough battery life to capture the multiple frames is an impossibility.
Search for: what-is-a-quad-bayer-sensor-and-why-its-the-future-for-video-cameras?
Using single frames from a moving (even if only slightly) drone, seems a stretch too far at this stage. BUT, I am always hoping, because I'd love to have a small light drone that can capture very high resolution.
Regds, Barney
2022-5-9
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Hi Barney,
The issue of hi-res images has many facets.
Like you, I like the idea of super sharp images that can be zoomed into, almost to infinity. I remember the awesome advert that compelled me to buy a Zenith E camera, some 60 years ago. It showed a reflection in a person's eye that when zoomed into, the photographer was sharp and clear. This was the claim for the quality of the camera.
But do we need that sort of resolution? Depending on the work you do, if you take near landscapes, probably not. Most images are viewed on a screen and even prints for the average user are unlikely to be greater than A2.
I have produced display sized pictures from old b&w ww2 photos that look amazing for their purpose though fuzzy close up. So, are we chasing our tails with resolution and mega pixels?
Back to the tabletop image. There was a lot of distortion in the edges of the image that required those individual pics to be distorted back so stitching was feasible.
2022-5-10
Use props
Dominik__W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1112218 ft
  • >>>
Poland

wow, great picture!
2022-7-13
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Guernsey

Thank you Dominik,
I found and uploaded a reduced file size image of the view over the island so people can zoom into the image rather than taking my word for its detail. NB, it has been reduced a lot from the original size.
The Onedrive link is   Town image
I also took a different HiRes image formed by individual pictures and stitched together. It is obviously TILED because unnecessary parts of the ground have been missed off. However, the point remains that even a simple camera can produce astounding detail when used in the right way. In this case, it provided a map for a historian. As a result, the detail of odd depressions and out of place vegetation has lead to the discovery of German WW2 military activity on land that people have walked over for decades and never realised what lay beneath their feet.
The link is   WW2 installation    please wait for the image to build up before zooming in. The initial image is just a placeholder for the full detail which can take a few seconds to complete.
2022-7-13
Use props
Dominik__W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1112218 ft
  • >>>
Poland

AlansDronePics Posted at 7-13 10:15
Thank you Dominik,
I found and uploaded a reduced file size image of the view over the island so people can zoom into the image rather than taking my word for its detail. NB, it has been reduced a lot from the original size.
The Onedrive link is   Town image

From the bird's eye view you can see a lot of things that we do not realize. The town itself that you photographed is not only picturesque, but also beautifully situated. Added to this is the historical aspect of the Second World War. I still give a gratitude to the photos.
2022-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules