Because NYC has no people.. are people allowed to fly drones?
611 12 2020-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn't but are people allowed now?  It would be cool to have some NYC shots of how dead it is.
2020-3-25
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I believe it's the same deal.  I haven't flown in a while and I wouldn't worry about much air traffic or even VIP movement.  There still is plenty of activity, it's just way slower than the usual NYC pace.
2020-3-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Have read nothing about existing flight ban / restrictions being lifted as result of cities being less crowded due to Stay at Home mandates.
2020-3-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have not read about such a thing.
2020-3-25
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some areas like (mid to lower Manhattan) a definite no because of the flight restrictions. In those restricted areas, the drone wouldn't even take off. You could try Ferry Point Park. Before LAANC existed I flew there several times with a nod from ATC. (LGA nearby) with no issues. Beautiful place to fly.
2020-3-25
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also flew several times near the beautiful Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge. Remained always below 300 ft to play it safe.
2020-3-25
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-25 10:08
Have read nothing about existing flight ban / restrictions being lifted as result of cities being less crowded due to Stay at Home mandates.

Because people forgot about us and the regulations.  People forgot about the FAA stepping in to see if all flying craft should have a transponder.  People set aside criminal trials.  People probably gave up going to Mars and the moon.  If the disease hit the ISS the interstellar human inhabitation program would all be scrapped for good.  People moved on from the Kobe helicopter crash.  People moved on from many things because when a problem exists that takes the focus of everything else that doesn't pertain to us in the current moment, we are distracted.  This is how to properly cure and fix anything if done properly but also, it can neglect many other things which is why operating while under the influence has the law breathing down people's backs because when people realize how they want to end life for whatever reason, if they are emotionally driven enough they drive the wrong way on the highway or off a cliff but in a sane, death scared, and sound mind they couldn't come to the grips to emotionally do it.
2020-3-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-25 18:39
Because people forgot about us and the regulations.  People forgot about the FAA stepping in to see if all flying craft should have a transponder.  People set aside criminal trials.  People probably gave up going to Mars and the moon.  If the disease hit the ISS the interstellar human inhabitation program would all be scrapped for good.  People moved on from the Kobe helicopter crash.  People moved on from many things because when a problem exists that takes the focus of everything else that doesn't pertain to us in the current moment, we are distracted.  This is how to properly cure and fix anything if done properly but also, it can neglect many other things which is why operating while under the influence has the law breathing down people's backs because when people realize how they want to end life for whatever reason, if they are emotionally driven enough they drive the wrong way on the highway or off a cliff but in a sane, death scared, and sound mind they couldn't come to the grips to emotionally do it.

Hey Dopey, this is a drone forum, stick to the subject or bugger off.
2020-3-25
Use props
fans5bc86db2
lvl.3
United States

It's complicated.
2020-3-30
Use props
fans5bc86db2
lvl.3
United States

It's complicated.  Much of Manhattan is actually open airspace according to the FAA.  And another part of it is accessible via the LAANC system.  
2020-3-30
Use props
fans5bc86db2
lvl.3
United States

It's complicated.  Much of Manhattan is actually open airspace according to the FAA.  And another part of it is accessible via the LAANC system.  The prohibition against flying over people is less of an issue now, as there are so few people out & about.  The remaining issue is an old city law from the 1940s, which prohibits aircrafts taking off or landing in the city outside of airports.  Supposedly this law may soon be changed to accommodate drones, but for now it technically remains an impediment.  In my experience, it is rarely enforced, so, if you are a responsible licensed pilot, this is a good time for getting footage of the city.
2020-3-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans5bc86db2 Posted at 3-30 13:50
It's complicated.  Much of Manhattan is actually open airspace according to the FAA.  And another part of it is accessible via the LAANC system.  The prohibition against flying over people is less of an issue now, as there are so few people out & about.  The remaining issue is an old city law from the 1940s, which prohibits aircrafts taking off or landing in the city outside of airports.  Supposedly this law may soon be changed to accommodate drones, but for now it technically remains an impediment.  In my experience, it is rarely enforced, so, if you are a responsible licensed pilot, this is a good time for getting footage of the city.

It would be nice if someone would fly in Times Square or at least around Central Park.  I personally wouldn't though because people could question but considering how dead it is, I don't think you would have an issue if you just go straight up in the open.  Law enforcement is mostly based upon common sense.

You could work with the government to give them photos so the leaders can know what they are working with but with permission first, then you are pretty much clear to fly at your own discretion.
2020-3-30
Use props
fans5bc86db2
lvl.3
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 3-30 15:16
It would be nice if someone would fly in Times Square or at least around Central Park.  I personally wouldn't though because people could question but considering how dead it is, I don't think you would have an issue if you just go straight up in the open.  Law enforcement is mostly based upon common sense.

You could work with the government to give them photos so the leaders can know what they are working with but with permission first, then you are pretty much clear to fly at your own discretion.

Unfortunately, both Times Square and the southern half of Central Park are in the no fly zone surrounding trump tower.
2020-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules