Manual WB control
1619 30 2020-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

So I just took my first test flight with the 1.0.8 iOS app and I noticed the addition of Auto/Manual WB control (weirdly, under the app's Advanced Shooting Settings, not in the camera view's bottom right corner, like the other settings). I shot a couple of quick videos like that and it did work. I didn't actually test the "Manual" setting of it is actually working (as in finding a situation in which it would normally auto-adjust) but I assume it does. Setting it manually did change the WB in the resulting video. I only wish it was more easily accessible while flying (I really don't understand why it's not in the camera view) and also it's weird that while you're manually changing it, most of the image is covered by the menu so you're not really seeing exactly how your image will look while adjusting. But that's no big deal as it can be easily changed in post, I'm happy I can now take it off Auto-WB mode.

Thanks, DJI. Now how'bout that SDK?

P.S. Considering how many people were complaining about the white balance, really weird for this update's changelog to basically list it as a "bug fixes" update. I thought they would have been like "ta-daaaaaaa, manual WB!"
2020-3-27
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

ok what your wrote was a bit confusing...so you said you didn't test the manual setting?  but it changed the wb in the video? so you tested and it works i assume?  and if it changes it i am pretty sure it would stick to this value in changing situation.

and definitely the place of the setting is really not user friendly...how are you supposed to set it without seeing the screen and the changes. it is kind of not very well thought...not to mention some presets for cloudy, sunny would be a lot better and user friendly...after all they are advertising the drone for beginners, and yet putting temp adjustment as a wb setting - straight forward stupid, especially you have to guess it a bit as you don't see the changes real time.this will require a lot of hit and miss tries at times.

2020-3-27
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

sorry about the confusion, I meant I didn't test whether it would hold my WB value during a situation where it normally auto-adjusts. But it did set the WB to the value I indicated so I'm assuming it will be locked into that manually selected value.
2020-3-27
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

According to this, it looks like the menu disappears when holding the slider for a little while so that's ok. I was just quickly moving around when I was testing and didn't notice that.

2020-3-27
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

Ice_2k Posted at 3-27 06:38
According to this, it looks like the menu disappears when holding the slider for a little while so that's ok. I was just quickly moving around when I was testing and didn't notice that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZ9OdGtITY

true, just updated and playing with the slider i think makes the menu disappear and shows camera view, though i didn't have the drone connected hence it showed only black screen in my case. so this is some good news.
2020-3-27
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

that looks like manual wb ok? good job dji
2020-3-27
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

I want to say my opinion about the last update. Its a joke I don't know what they were smoking when they created this update.  The white balance is placed in confusing menu hallways.  As I see,  quality and simple software is mission impossible for them.  I'm sitting and thinking ... Well, how can you come up with it, for what reason they decided to put WB in that way? What is the reason?  Feels like software development has both hands left. And again, sorry for my english., but I know you will understand me
2020-3-27
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Not to mention the black outline on the battery, gps, and signal finally.

2020-3-27
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Donsir_LTU Posted at 3-27 07:50
I want to say my opinion about the last update. Its a joke  I don't know what they were smoking when they created this update.  The white balance is placed in confusing menu hallways.  As I see,  quality and simple software is mission impossible for them.  I'm sitting and thinking ... Well, how can you come up with it, for what reason they decided to put WB in that way? What is the reason?  Feels like software development has both hands left. And again, sorry for my english., but I know you will understand me

Well it is better than nothing but yeah it is pretty stupid to put it in the menu. Should be next to the EV icon in camera view. They probably should have added manual video while they are at it.
2020-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Guorium Posted at 3-27 08:19
Well it is better than nothing but yeah it is pretty stupid to put it in the menu. Should be next to the EV icon in camera view. They probably should have added manual video while they are at it.

It’s in the menu in every dji drone, it might change after we see new FW, I’m looking forward to all the great improvements we might see with this new tool .
2020-3-27
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Lithuania

hallmark007 Posted at 3-27 08:27
It’s in the menu in every dji drone, it might change after we see new FW, I’m looking forward to all the great improvements we might see with this new tool .

Lets wait and we will see
2020-3-27
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Lithuania

Guorium Posted at 3-27 08:19

I agree with you 100%
2020-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Donsir_LTU Posted at 3-27 09:04
Lets wait and we will see

Well maybe don’t be to quick to rubbish everything , hopefully we see a FW update .
2020-3-27
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Well I tried the white balance today on iOS (iPhone 6) when I selected Manual and used the slider it didn’t revert to Camera View....  so I don’t know if it’s a bug between Android and iOS or my phone?  It was windy today and the Warning and vibration is a good addition.
2020-3-27
Use props
djiuser_Mteg4dn1uffb
lvl.2

United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-27 07:55
Not to mention the black outline on the battery, gps, and signal finally.

[view_image]
Still looks the same no black outline on mine after update. Is it possible for you to show pictures to see what's looks like?
2020-3-27
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

djiuser_Mteg4dn1uffb Posted at 3-27 10:09
Still looks the same no black outline on mine after update. Is it possible for you to show pictures to see what's looks like?

I think he was being ironic
2020-3-27
Use props
djiuser_Mteg4dn1uffb
lvl.2

United States

Ice_2k Posted at 3-27 10:35
I think he was being ironic

Oh!! Well but anyway did you see any improvement? Regarding 1.0.8
2020-3-27
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

So there's white Balance now but still no full manual video control I guess?
Charging my Batteries at the moment.
2020-3-27
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

djiuser_Mteg4dn1uffb Posted at 3-27 11:16
Oh!! Well but anyway did you see any improvement? Regarding 1.0.8

Just the added WB and some people reported an improved wind warning.
2020-3-27
Use props
Rofor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12733 ft
Austria

In a german forum someone mentioned that there is now an option what to do when loosing signal - RTH, landing or hovering...
2020-3-27
Use props
djiuser_Mteg4dn1uffb
lvl.2

United States

Ice_2k Posted at 3-27 13:14
Just the added WB and some people reported an improved wind warning.

Thank you very much with your response
2020-3-27
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Rofor Posted at 3-27 13:40
In a german forum someone mentioned that there is now an option what to do when loosing signal - RTH, landing or hovering...
Something you obviously set before take off?
2020-3-27
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 3-27 14:36

I see no reason why you couldn’t change it mid-flight. Just as you can adjust the RTH altitude at any time.
2020-3-28
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 3-28 00:34
I see no reason why you couldn’t change it mid-flight. Just as you can adjust the RTH altitude at any time.

I think you may have a point there, however, I'll leave it in RTH anyway. It served me well foe the last 5 months
2020-3-28
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 3-28 01:35
I think you may have a point there, however, I'll leave it in RTH anyway. It served me well foe the last 5 months

I agree. It does have its uses though, for instance if your location keeps changing (being on a moving boat), “hover” is a much better option than RTH.
2020-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 3-28 01:39
I agree. It does have its uses though, for instance if your location keeps changing (being on a moving boat), “hover” is a much better option than RTH.

Hover is not a much better option on a boat, in fact it can cause more problems, resetting homepoint is a better option on a boat.
As someone who owns and flys from a boat hover and land for loss of signal are complete no no so.

1/ if you lose signal and craft goes to hover you will have to find it.
2/ you will have to wait until low/critical battery for it to land on a moving boat.
3/ flying on a boat use Rth reset always keep drone in VLOS
4/ Mavic Mini is a really bad choice for boats, even it had hover, it’s WiFi and if it looses transmission it Rth , it’s to small and very hard to locate .
2020-3-28
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 3-27 06:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZ9OdGtITY

I’m not seeing this switch to camera mode when using the slider on iOS
2020-3-28
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

TDZHDTV Posted at 3-28 02:31
I’m not seeing this switch to camera mode when using the slider on iOS

yeah, I just tested, that's not in the iOS version... this is *so* DJI....
2020-3-28
Use props
Studio66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21670 ft
Belgium

can’t wait to test the white balance
2020-3-28
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-27 07:55
Not to mention the black outline on the battery, gps, and signal finally.

[view_image]

So happy we're moving forward. For me the MANUAL WB being already pretty content with how it dealt with it so far is a welcome addition, and for a basic drone e control like that it's OK. I know there are places where it is definitely needed.
2020-3-28
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 3-27 14:36

Under the Safety Tab and in Advanced options you can Select what to do when signal is lost. (RTH, Decend, Hover)
2020-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules