Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cinematic Edit of Seal Beach, CA w/ 3 Pro and Nexus 7
1858 21 2015-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hatwaks
lvl.1
Flight distance : 160860 ft
United States

This was recently shot at Seal Beach, CA. Please let us know what you think! We appreciate your feedback.

Also, as a side note, we recently purchased a Nexus 7 (2013) for FPV and the DJI Pilot App. We have recently read quite a bit about issues with stuttering video feed and we also experienced this. While my phantom was about 3 feet from the ground, the app crashed. Thankfully, I had control with the sticks, but it could have turned out much worse.

We are unimpressed overall with the Android DJI App at the moment so we plan to switch back to the iPhone 5S we were using before. It is extremely hard to see the FPV on such a small screen, but hopefully the DJI App for Android is updated soon to correct these issues. Also, the FPV during flight is misleading. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shots when they were uploaded! We are hoping that all the App kinks get ironed out because the size and overall capability of the Nexus is perfect for DJI products and various other production uses.
2015-6-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice vid.
If I were doing anything prosumer or like your vid, I'd get a Ipad mini and never look back.....

On the other hand, I have the Nexus 7 (refurb) on order since it's $100 and i'm not a pro. While they may improve the DJI app, nothing can make up for a total throughput (see geekbench scores) that is 1/3 that of the IOS products.

In the case of Android, I think we (mostly) get what we pay for. It has no problem with the basic email, reading and other such tasks but it's not a high performance machine (most of them).
2015-6-14
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-15 03:43
Nice vid.
If I were doing anything prosumer or like your vid, I'd get a Ipad mini and never look bac ...

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, we have an iPad that was unfortunately too old for what we need it for. It isn't even "old", but we are considering replacing it with one that would be compatible. You seem to be right about the Nexus.  Probably just wishful thinking on our part, but maybe (fingers crossed) the glitches will be fixed. Most likely, we will just go Apple all the way in the future.
2015-6-14
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Very nice video, very smooth shots.  
2015-6-14
Use props
nikpepa
lvl.1

Greece

P4TRI0T Posted at 2015-6-15 11:00

i want to ask if i want to fly over the sea in what mode do i have to fly???gps mode will be ok???or i have to fly in another mode??please help...i dont want to crash the bird...

thanksss
2015-6-15
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

nikpep, yes, GPS mode would be best.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-15
Use props
nikpepa
lvl.1

Greece

ok great thankssssss
2015-6-15
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-15 03:43
Nice vid.
If I were doing anything prosumer or like your vid, I'd get a Ipad mini and never look bac ...

I've got a really old iPad - I think it's 2nd gen, so it's pretty old, as technology goes. But I despise iTunes - feels like I'm being led around by the nose!

Guess I'll just have to suffer with my Android device(s) until everything with the app shakes out (or something better comes along!). Eventually there may come a time where if I want to be semi-state-of-the-art, I'll have to get something like an iPad mini.

Part of me says to sell my Phantom now while it has value. If I keep it, waiting to discover what the competition has to offer, then it has the potential to drop quickly in value.

This is worse than the "good old days" when computers seemed to be changing monthly! Remember those comments from the "good old days?" "Wow! a 30 meg drive - you'll never fill that thing up!"
2015-6-15
Use props
raafmaker
lvl.3
Netherlands

Can i ask what settings u shot this video with? Its like in some parts i see slowmo edit am i right? Did u shoot everything in 4k/24 ?
2015-6-15
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

P4TRI0T Posted at 2015-6-15 11:00

Thanks for the comments!
2015-6-15
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

raafmaker@gmail Posted at 2015-6-15 20:09
Can i ask what settings u shot this video with? Its like in some parts i see slowmo edit am i right? ...

Hey raafmaker,

We shot part of the video in 4k, but the slow motion shots were shot in 1080p/60fps. Then, in our editor (Premiere Pro) we interpreted the footage to 29.97fps. What this does is doubles the length of the footage, but also maintains high video quality while giving it a smooth slow motion effect. We hope this helps!
2015-6-15
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-15 19:59
I've got a really old iPad - I think it's 2nd gen, so it's pretty old, as technology goes. But I d ...

Yeah, it is definitely an exciting and innovative time for the drone industry. Newer drone technologies are sure to come to the market soon, but we are very pleased with the price and quality of the Phantom 3.  Can't wait to see what the future brings, though!
2015-6-16
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

hatwaks Posted at 2015-6-16 00:25
Hey raafmaker,

We shot part of the video in 4k, but the slow motion shots were shot in 1080p/60fp ...

My Hero 4 Silver will shoot 120 fps, but only at 720P. Makes for some incredible slow-mo.
Like the Phantom, the 1080P at 60 fps is really nice.

I guess one of the things I really, really like about the Phantom Pro camera is that on the GoPro, even though I can theoretically edit out the fish-eye, there's still that tiniest hint of curvature. The Phantom camera just comes out so much straighter with the lens it has.
2015-6-16
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-17 06:16
My Hero 4 Silver will shoot 120 fps, but only at 720P. Makes for some incredible slow-mo.
Like the ...

Yes, we have a Hero 3 and were so jealous when the 4 came out with those slow motion capabilities! We completely agree with you about the curved Horizon of the Go Pro vs the Phantom 3 Pro. We are really loving the picture quality of our Phantom.
2015-6-16
Use props
fiskld
lvl.1

United States

Nicely done
2015-6-16
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

Thank you, fiskld! We appreciate your feedback!
2015-6-16
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

nikpepa Posted at 2015-6-15 18:16
i want to ask if i want to fly over the sea in what mode do i have to fly???gps mode will be ok??? ...

Yes, definitely GPS mode! The only time we would ever risk turning off GPS mode would be if we were filming something in perfect conditions with a wide open view of the phantom and didn't need a long distance range. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots above water!
2015-6-17
Use props
Robharris07
lvl.3

United States

Did you use any camera filters?
2015-6-17
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

Robharris07 Posted at 2015-6-17 23:38
Did you use any camera filters?

Hi robharris07! No, we didn't use any filters. We color corrected in our editor after we shot this.
2015-6-17
Use props
dominic.espejo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88130 ft
United States

Nice vid and great edit.  Did you get any bad vibes from flying a drone in that area?  I live nearby and was planning on doing an aerial video near there.
2015-6-17
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

dominic.espejo Posted at 2015-6-18 02:08
Nice vid and great edit.  Did you get any bad vibes from flying a drone in that area?  I live nearby ...

Hi dominic.espejo,

Thanks so much for the feedback! We didn't get any bad feeling flying on this beach. And you know what? Drones have a bad stigma to them, but most of the time when we are flying people are curious and excited to see one in person.  One person even asked if he could video the take off and landing to put on his Instagram. We thought it was a lovely place to fly and we plan to go back soon!
2015-6-17
Use props
hatwaks
lvl.1
United States

DJI just released an update to the App for Android! Does anyone have feedback on it??
2015-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules