My Inspire just crashed for no apparent reason
1090 7 2015-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
Flight distance : 611027 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I am in the UK and I bought the Inspire from an American authorized dealer.  The drone arrived and I had my first flight on the 29th of May, I got several flights, all was going well accept for the case which was falling apart after 2 days.  Anyhow, I had 4 flights today, the first one was at my mothers house, I calibrated the compass like I always do, checked that I had GPS, I had full signal, I done everything on DJI pre flight check, all firmware was updated etc.  I used auto take off and everything was going okay, I was in the air for 4 minutes total but during the last 30-40 seconds I started to lose control.  I had good GPS signal but for some reason the drone was all over the place, it was very edgy but I managed to land it successfully without any problem, it just shook me up a bit.  I had another 2 flights from the same location that were successful, auto take off, auto-land, no problem.

A few hours later I took the drone out to my girlfriends parents house to grab some pictures of her house from the air.  I calibrated the machine, done pre flight checks, GPS had a strong signal and everything looked fine, the weather was brilliant clear blue skys all around.  After the pre-flight checks and calibration I clicked on auto take off and had complete control but at about 10 seconds into flight I started to lose control, the drone flew irratically for the next 4 minutes, I made several attempts to land it with no success, it was out of control, flying at very high speed through the air, I'm so glad that I was out in the countryside when this happened because somebody could have got really hurt.  After several attempts to land, it finally flew into a tree.  One of the motors burned completely off the drone, I have it, the camera and gimble are gone, we searched for 3 hours and never found it, we had to hire a man to get up the tree to retrieve the drone.  It has been an absolute nightmare and I am shocked, how can this happen?  I did everything that I was supposed to but yet it other ideas.  I'm not one bit happy with DJI at the moment, what if this had of flew into a child?  Where do I go from here?  I feel like crying guys, I'm totally devistated.

PS just to confirm, the firmware was up to date, it was running the 26-5-15 update (Inspire 1 Firmware v1.2.1.06)

Regretfully,
Pat

PS I tried to upload pics but they are too large apparently so I'll upload them to an image hoaster and post the links

2015-6-14
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I am so sorry for your loss - it must have been scary.
You have to contact your seller and they will tell you what to do - where to send it etc

Do not give up - this is after all a super bird and a greate hobby.
2015-6-14
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Nilsblix.  Thanks for the encouragement, I'm literally praying that DJI can see what happened and fix it for me.  I have not given up in the Inspire, in the short time that I've had it I have taken some magnificent shots, some that I never thought were possible.  It is an amazing feat of engineering but whatever has happened here....I'm not so sure.  It looks like it flipped out of GPS and went into atti mode, I'm really disappointed at the moment.  I'll upload the pics now, the camera/gimble and the connection where it latches onto the Inspire was completely ripped off.
2015-6-14
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Some images...

http://postimg.org/image/5xqqetefj/

http://postimg.org/image/cj3gekua7/

http://postimg.org/image/whjbgyez3/

2015-6-14
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Yes explain what happen and DJI (Europe I think ) will analyze the log files
2015-6-14
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Hey Pat- Ski Ninja!

No, I'm not with DJI, just a forum member...sorry to hear the news, it sucks. I know, been there and done that. By the way, won't do it again. Hopefully the following (assuming you are familiar with the DJI pilot app) will help you a bit...

Okay, first things first, have you watched the flight in the app yet? Using Android, you can see the in flight info, pattern and date of each flight. Or, if you are using an IOS, you will also have the additional option of seeing stick movements that coincide with each flight. Believe me, take time to watch this. It will almost immediately tell you if it was a buggy 'fly away' or a possible, unintended piloting error.

Double check everything, especially if you believe or find you were not to blame. Document things very well and make sure to do it, prior to thinking of sending anything away. Get your ducks in a row, so to speak. This is important, as you will find yourself at a cross road, sooner than you may anticipate. You will either have to decide to have to ship it away for repairs (at an average of 6-8 weeks) or demand a refund from your authorized dealer. Before we go into too much more of that...take a breath and try to relax the nerves a bit. Again, been where you are and it's one scary, heart breaking thing, to say the least.

Secondly, as soon as you are ready- Call customer service, during the week, don't email the company, they never answer emails. You'll find there is no 24/7 customer service as advertised.

Sorry to offer such grim sounding news...try to stay positive and keep us posted, sir.

Luck be with you,

-S.N.

2015-6-14
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Nils, I sent DJI an email to their customer support with the exact same opening post.  Can you or anyone else confirm anybody getting their Inspire repaired or replaced over this kind of thing in the past?  I'm thinking about producing a youtube video, I'll wait to see what DJI suggest.
2015-6-14
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Very sorry this happened.  Because you bought it from a U.S. source you'll probably need to go through the U.S. it or China.  

If you can still power the Inspire you can connect a micro USB cable and retrieve the flight logs.  These are different to the app, they are detailed and saved within the Inspire itself.

This will be the first step before sending it anywhere.

There are videos and tutorials about how to do this, some searches should lead you to it.

2015-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules