A sour taste to the start of my DJI experience, just really dissa...
1435 22 2020-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RAF_Recovery
lvl.1
United States

Hi all my first post here and I hate that it has this tone to start but I want to explain before the judging. I First I love RC I have been building and flying all types of RC air craft since around the age of 15 in 1981, yes I am that old. I have had a couple of Helo's and a couple of cheap throw away drones. After watching DJI mature over the years in YouTube and watching some you tubers collab with DJI my interest in aerial movie making was peaked. So with the knowledge I have from these videos and reading up somewhat on the state of drones I decided to start of with a Mavic Mini. Seemed like the best starting point to see if I was going to need something more in-depth. So I was pumped the day My Mavic Mini arrived last week actually. I patiently waited until Friday after work to even open the Box. Once I got the Batts & RC charged then this is where my troubles began and ultimately where I am at today Sunday 3/2/2020.

1.     Unpacked charged ready to connect.

2.     LG with Android 8, app installed, connect cable start the process of setting up in the app and get to step 7 I believe, them nothing.

3.     No matter what I do the app keeps telling me to plug the remote up to the phone. Which of course I have done.

4.     Phone keeps asking to charge, transfer pics, transfer files or play midi files. None of these of course connect the phone to the RC.

5.     So I hit the internet, and upon reading crap from every site I could find I find out that DJI Fly App doesn't really support all Android 7 or 8 phones.  

6.     Not only that but even if you have those Androids you have to have a 64 bit OS. Nowhere on the Home page for the MM can I find that this is a requirement and definitely not on Amazon.

7.     Now the dilemma, I cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars for a new Android phone that in all honesty may or may not work. Not only that I was trying to use an extra android I had with a small crack in the screen to be my RC phone.

8.     I am not saying this is deceptive but it is defiantly a little dirty pool to me on DJI's part. You should not sell products that are purportedly able to use an Phone architecture only to limit that OS to certain types without telling your consumers this up front and not in tiny boiler plate somewhere on page whatever.

Saving Grace sort of,

I luckily have an Ipad Mini, so I tried plugging that up YES It works Sort of

1.     My Ipad mini works but the supplied lightening cable is way too short.

2.     Headed over to Amazon to buy an extended one only to find out it’s deemed none essential and the delivery has been delayed for 3 weeks.

Lessons and after thoughts.

If DJI does tell you this info about the lack of real Android support then I am at fault for not reading it I guess?

I hope when the cable finally comes I can at last see what this is all about, until then I have a $500.00 plus paperweight sitting on my desk. Should I return it? What if the cable I bought doesn’t work. I only have a finite amount of time to return this to Amazon.

Also why did DJI cut the bottom USB from the DJI MM RC? Seems silly when so many on the forums say that that was the fix to all of their side port issues on other DJI products.  

If anyone has any suggestions as to my Android dilemma please help a brother out and let me know.

Signed,

A sour taste to the start of my DJI experience.

2020-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Why the cut bottom connection, Mavic mini needed to come in at 249g so I presume this was the reason.

Do dji publish what devices work with their drones, yes but not always easy to find, it is on their website, but I imagine 95% of people can’t find it or even try to find it, and many are like you, so can see how you might be upset about that.
iPad mini should work fine and is the choice of many so once you get your lead you should be up and running.

I think it’s best to put it down to experience and hopefully your experience with the drone will be a better one.
Your welcome to the forum and hopefully you get much advice and help around here.
2020-3-29
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

Hello, this is also my first post here on this forum.
I'm a new drone owner, bougt my Mavic Mini for three weeks ago. I also recogniced that my old Android telephone dont work with Dji Fly, since it was 32-bit.
I then bought my a new Huawei P Smart 2019 and it works fantastic well for drone use.
Take care and fly well !

/Mats
2020-3-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

If I am not mistaken retro compatibility goes back up to Galaxy S6 in the droid world... quite old stuff in mobile terms, but if you need a more portable device you can find it at a reasonable price. I know that unfortunately you'll never reach the practicality of a unified device unless you pay more for a newer whole grain 64-bit device.

Bottom USB cut = cost cut.

See the upside: you'll surely enjoy a bright and wide display device... and could also help you stay away from trouble (like power lines)
2020-3-29
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

the 64/32 bit issue has hit many here.  I bought a "new/cheap" phone.  DJI kowns this and could more to clarify.  Still, a lot of fun once issues resolved.
2020-3-29
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
United States

the 64/32 bit issue has hit many here.  I bought a "new/cheap" phone.  DJI kowns this and could more to clarify.  Still, a lot of fun once issues resolved.
2020-3-29
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-29 11:01
Why the cut bottom connection, Mavic mini needed to come in at 249g so I presume this was the reason.

Do dji publish what devices work with their drones, yes but not always easy to find, it is on their website, but I imagine 95% of people can’t find it or even try to find it, and many are like you, so can see how you might be upset about that.

"Why the cut bottom connection, Mavic mini needed to come in at 249g so I presume this was the reason."

What has the weight of the mini got to do with the USB found on the bottom of the controller( or not found in this case)
2020-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

crash1sttime Posted at 3-29 11:13
"Why the cut bottom connection, Mavic mini needed to come in at 249g so I presume this was the reason."

What has the weight of the mini got to do with the USB found on the bottom of the controller( or not found in this case)

Well my bad I suppose it was a cost thing. Thanks for pointing out my mistake .
2020-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MavicMats Posted at 3-29 11:02
Hello, this is also my first post here on this forum.
I'm a new drone owner, bougt my Mavic Mini for three weeks ago. I also recogniced that my old Android telephone dont work with Dji Fly, since it was 32-bit.
I then bought my a new Huawei P Smart 2019 and it works fantastic well for drone use.

Your welcome to the forum MavicMats .
2020-3-29
Use props
RAF_Recovery
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-29 11:01

Do dji publish what devices work with their drones, yes but not always easy to find, it is on their website, but I imagine 95% of people can’t find it or even try to find it, and many are like you, so can see how you might be upset about that.

Thank you for your response. Yes the drone weighs 249g but the remote weights is irrelevant. This USB could have helped many like myself.
2020-3-29
Use props
RAF_Recovery
lvl.1
United States

MavicMats Posted at 3-29 11:02
Hello, this is also my first post here on this forum.

Thank you for your response, why should we have to buy a new unnecessary phone and cost. to fly DJI products? Do they have a steak in phone companies?
2020-3-29
Use props
RAF_Recovery
lvl.1
United States

Thanks to all that responded but in all honesty most of the people on this forum thinks it OK to just go out and buy a new phone to use DJI products. I do not. Maybe its just the fact that this is basically false advertising and deceptive marketing. All of the DJI videos show how effortless using a "Smart Phone" is to fly their drones are so easy. In reality far from it if you a re a Android user. I will wait for the extended cable and hopefully enjoy this for what it is. But I will probably never deal with DJI again. Even if this Android "bug" was honestly over looked ( which my gut tells me it absolutely was known) It just speaks to what kind of company I want to deal with and this aint it. Shame to those responsible and to those out there who act like its no big deal to have to go out and spend hundreds more after you have already spent 500.00 just to get a cheap drone on  the air. Something stinks here.
2020-3-29
Use props
MavicMats
lvl.4

Sweden

Thank's for the welcoming to this forum.
Sorry that there is so many out there that have the same experience that I just had. In my case I had an very old Android telephone 5-6 (year old and a very cheap model even then), so in this case it dont become me so much, I had to have a new sooner or later.

About the adertising from Dji, I thought also it should work with my old phone, and was little irritate over the fact to buy a new one. Have to bite in the grass little...
Any way, see forward to post some more from my drone, I'm totally new with this, only three weeks and about 50 flies yet.

Take care - Mats
2020-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Know anybody you can borrow a Lightening cable from?  
2020-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

"So with the knowledge I have from these videos and reading up somewhat on the state of drones I decided to start of with a Mavic Mini. "

While waiting for Cable, suggest three things:
1) Read the Manual, even if you already have.
2) Do some reading up on Mavic Mini's sudden un-commanded descents, problems in light winds**, and ESC errors.
3) If you still can, take out DJI-Care.

** 8-m/s 28.8-km/h 17.9-mph is Max wind for P-mode
2020-3-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RAF_Recovery Posted at 3-29 13:04
Thanks to all that responded but in all honesty most of the people on this forum thinks it OK to just go out and buy a new phone to use DJI products. I do not. Maybe its just the fact that this is basically false advertising and deceptive marketing. All of the DJI videos show how effortless using a "Smart Phone" is to fly their drones are so easy. In reality far from it if you a re a Android user. I will wait for the extended cable and hopefully enjoy this for what it is. But I will probably never deal with DJI again. Even if this Android "bug" was honestly over looked ( which my gut tells me it absolutely was known) It just speaks to what kind of company I want to deal with and this aint it. Shame to those responsible and to those out there who act like its no big deal to have to go out and spend hundreds more after you have already spent 500.00 just to get a cheap drone on  the air. Something stinks here.

Thank you for your response, why should we have to buy a new unnecessary phone and cost. to fly DJI products? Do they have a steak in phone companies?
Yes .. DJI owns all of the world's phone companies so whichever newer phone you buy, they make a sale.
Thanks to all that responded but in all honesty most of the people on this forum thinks it OK to just go out and buy a new phone to use DJI products. I do not. Maybe its just the fact that this is basically false advertising and deceptive marketing.

You want to play with high-tech toys but expect to be able to do it with an old-tech phone?
Mobile phones have evolved and you can't expect an old clunker to handle any task you throw at it.

All of the DJI videos show how effortless using a "Smart Phone" is to fly their drones are so easy. In reality far from it if you a re a Android user.
And you know this how?  Oh yes, you read it on the internet, so it must be true.
Your idea that it's difficult to fly with an Android device is nonsense.
You haven't mentioned what phone you've attempted to use, so I can't tell if it would work.
Is it a 64-bit machine?  Does it have 4GB of RAM?

But here's a guide to properly configuring an Android device that might help if your phone is suitable:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips ... ep-by-step-guide.31

But I will probably never deal with DJI again. Even if this Android "bug" was honestly over looked ( which my gut tells me it absolutely was known) It just speaks to what kind of company I want to deal with and this aint it.
Your unrealistic attitude and whinging speaks to what kind of person you are.
You probably aren't the kind of customer that many companies would want to deal with.

ps.
I luckily have an Ipad Mini, so I tried plugging that up YES It works Sort of
If you want to cheapskate on an old iPad Mini, you might be out of luck there too.
If you want to fly with anything older than a Mini 4, the experience is going to be disappointing too.

2020-3-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

"If DJI does tell you this info about the lack of real Android support then I am at fault for not reading it I guess?"

Don't know which model LG SmartPhone you have, but if it is running Android 7 (or 8); then according to DJI's Mavic Mini Specs, it should run Fly App.**
APP
  • Name - DJI Fly

** However, when you go look at DJI Fly App there is a list of compatible Android SmartDevices.
Android v1.0.6
Requires Android 6.0 or above.
Recommended  models: Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy S10,  Samsung Galaxy S9+, Samsung Galaxy S9 , Samsung Galaxy S8+, Samsung  Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S6,  Samsung Galaxy Note9, Samsung Galaxy Note8, HUAWEI P30 Pro, HUAWEI P30,  HUAWEI P20, HUAWEI P10, HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro, HUAWEI Mate 10, HUAWEI nova  5, HUAWEI nova 4, HUAWEI nova 3e, HUAWEI nova 2, Honor 8X, Honor V10,  Honor 9, Honor 20 Pro, Honor Magic 2, Mi 8, Mi MIX 2S, Mi MIX 2, Redmi  Note 5, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, vivo NEX, vivo X27, vivo X21, vivo X20A,  OnePlus 7, OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 5, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2,  Pixel, LG V20, LG G6. [2]

Semi-related is couple years ago, DJI came out with it's own Android SmartDevice with high brightness screen, known as CrystalSky.  To say it politely, CrystalSky's processing power was lacking from start.  Enable to many DJI GO-4 App features, and App became flaky or sluggish.  

If your LG Phone is only a few years old, it should run DJI Fly App.  But then again, there have been reports of relatively new SmartDevices having problems running DJI's flight Apps.  Sometimes it is result of all Apps people have loaded and running on their SmartDevice.  Other times it comes down to DJI's flight Apps needing optimization.

2020-3-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry to know your phone is not compatible with DJI Fly. The DJI FLY APP was developed based on the 64-bit platform. The minimum request of installation environment as belows:
1. Requires Android 6.0 or above.
2. Available ROM is 2GB and above.
3. Supporting ArmV8 64-bit architectures (64-bit processor).

In the product page, we do have made a list of the compatibility phones, and it will keep updating as testing and development continue. For a better experience, we recommend to use the phone in the list, appreciate your understanding.
2020-3-30
Use props
RAF_Recovery
lvl.1
United States

Akirasho Posted at 3-29 11:13
the 64/32 bit issue has hit many here.  I bought a "new/cheap" phone.  DJI kowns this and could more to clarify.  Still, a lot of fun once issues resolved.

But thats just it. DJI has no intentions of revolving these issues from what I have read on this forum. Might be fun for you but for the rest of of it sucks.
2020-3-30
Use props
RAF_Recovery
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-30 03:43
We are sorry to know your phone is not compatible with DJI Fly. The DJI FLY APP was developed based on the 64-bit platform. The minimum request of installation environment as belows:
1. Requires Android 6.0 or above.
2. Available ROM is 2GB and above.

Then maybe you should be solid citizens and inform people interested in your products when you advertise to them . Instead of making it look so easy to use any mobile device. I mean I will get my drone airborne but all these others may not. Seems like if a company wanted to avoids class actions later down the road but I guess DJI legal seems confident enough so OK.
2020-3-30
Use props
RAF_Recovery
lvl.1
United States

Thank you to all of you guys that have been helpful and understand the struggle we are having. To the party liners.... well.
2020-3-30
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
United States

Might be fun for you but for the rest of of it sucks.

Indeed.  after waiting to get my Mini, and recovering that my phone was not compatible, it "sucked".  Indeed, I along with others here faced the "return" dilemma.  That "sucked.  Then, I searched for a "cheap" compatible phone and pulled the trigger, still not certain that it would work.  That "sucked".  Indeed, not long after I bought the phone, that market tanked (the model and the cheap price were gone).

The decision to buy the phone was not easy (the Mini purchase taxed my resources).  That sucked.  But, I now have the Mini and enjoy in.  Not letting DJI off the hook, but rolling with options presented to me and flying.  That does not suck.
2020-3-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RAF_Recovery Posted at 3-30 17:11
Then maybe you should be solid citizens and inform people interested in your products when you advertise to them . Instead of making it look so easy to use any mobile device. I mean I will get my drone airborne but all these others may not. Seems like if a company wanted to avoids class actions later down the road but I guess DJI legal seems confident enough so OK.

You don't do your homework so it's DJI's fault.
What a whinger.
A $50 toy drone would be much more your style.
2020-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules