5264 4 2020-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

The specs on the iPOD 7th Gen show it has the same A10 processor as the iPhone 6,7,8s (varying by model) and some of the newer base model iPAD's.

I fired up my new Mini today, loaded the new Fly and updated the Mini's firmware with an iPhone XS.  I thoroughly hated removing the case (heavy duty, over protective version).  All went well with some indoor testing.  So, I figured, "what the heck" and loaded Fly on the iPOD, 'registered' with the gods-of-DJI, and fired up... no problems or delays connecting and the short, slow flight, seemed flawless.

Before I take it outside tomorrow, I'd like to hear from anyone who has had success or failure using the new 7th gen iPOD.

Similarly, if there's someone who's familiar with the deep tech specs of the iPhone XS and could compare it with the iPOD, maybe they could point out what technical differences could hamper flight control. [Edit: added -> CONTROL].

[ and yes.... I know... it isn't an approved device :-)  ]

Thanks for watching.

2020-3-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

imilarly, if there's someone who's familiar with the deep tech specs of the iPhone XS and could compare it with the iPOD, maybe they could point out what technical differences could hamper flight.
There's nothing that would hamper flight.
Because the device does not fly the drone, you do through the controller.
Lose the device and you still have control and can still fly properly.
The phone or tablet is just a handy way of viewing what the camera sees and some menu items.
If your device is up to running the app, that's all that matters.

[ and yes.... I know... it isn't an approved device :-)  ]

Neither are many of the best tablets and phones for flying.
DJI hardly ever test any new devices or update their rather sparse list.
2020-3-31
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-31 20:52
imilarly, if there's someone who's familiar with the deep tech specs of the iPhone XS and could compare it with the iPOD, maybe they could point out what technical differences could hamper flight.
There's nothing that would hamper flight.
Because the device does not fly the drone, you do through the controller.

I appreciate your reply.  After re-reading my post I acknowledge a missing word.  I should have added "...control" as in " ... what differences could hamper flight control.

So far I've concluded that the lack of GPS on the iPod Touch(s) does cause some features displayed on the screen to not work as desired.  Without GPS the 'orientation' icon (bottom center) does not display.  

An additional (non GPS related ) matter has to do with the on-iPod photo cache.  With the cache set to 'record' none of the images were recorded on the iPod.  

Once in flight, I was also unable to select the three dot " ... " icon to change camera settings, and the mythical White Balance adjustment (added in recent Fly update) wasn't displayed!

So, while you are correct, that the aircraft can fly without the added electronic device, there are differences that affect flight.   Those are what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

Any other observations are welcomed.
2020-4-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

WebParrot Posted at 4-2 06:12
I appreciate your reply.  After re-reading my post I acknowledge a missing word.  I should have added "...control" as in " ... what differences could hamper flight control.

So far I've concluded that the lack of GPS on the iPod Touch(s) does cause some features displayed on the screen to not work as desired.  Without GPS the 'orientation' icon (bottom center) does not display.  

Lack of GPS in the iPod should make no difference to flight control or almost no difference to the appearance of the app.
Many flyers use non-GPS iPads without issue and I often fly with GPS turned off on my Android tablets because it adds nothing needed for almost all activities.

It's hard to see how it would make any difference to what you call the orientation icon as it does not need any GPS data from the tablet to work.

FYI . there are only two flight functions that can use GPS in a tablet:
1.  Resetting the home point to the current location of the controller
2.  Follow-me flight (which the Mini does not have)
But for an unknown reason, neither of these works with iPhones or iPads anyway.
2020-4-2
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-2 06:57
So far I've concluded that the lack of GPS on the iPod Touch(s) does cause some features displayed on the screen to not work as desired.  Without GPS the 'orientation' icon (bottom center) does not display.  
Lack of GPS in the iPod should make no difference to flight control or almost no difference to the appearance of the app.
Many flyers use non-GPS iPads without issue and I often fly with GPS turned off on my Android tablets because it adds nothing needed for almost all activities.

I appreciate you comments.
I have a much definition for sense of "control" .... One example, you can't change the Mode of flight without a "screen" device.  If you launch in Position, switching to Cinematic isn't possible, E.g., I've lost some control 'feature' of flight.  While that's not the issue here, I'm broadening what I consider to be my control feature lost...the positional icon that provides me with valuable information.
Thanks for your thoughts.
2020-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules