Improving GPS and Wifi Signal?
3226 5 2020-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
congeetime
lvl.3

Canada

Hello,

Does anyone else have the same issues i am having with my fairly new mavic mini? Most of the time, it takes a while for the drone to connect to a gps signal. I could be in an open field and it wont connect. Moving a few metres forward and back would usually do the trick.

Also, for the wifi signal, the further i fly my drone. The drone starts experiencing signal issues.  Had this happen to me over a lake and in a open field with no obstructions. Even just flying straight up, i start having signal loss.

Is this a common issue and is there any tips to improve signal? I dont remember my mavic pro having this many signal/connection issues.

Thanks
2020-4-2
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

GPS: define "a while"...
Wi-Fi: every signal gets weaker with distance, so it's perfectly normal for you to have connection problems "the further I fly my drone". Flying straight above the RC puts the AC antennas in the least favorable position, so try to avoid that. If you really must do it, at least keep the RC antennas horizontal, to mitigate the problem. Mavic Pro has a much better transmission system, so you cannot compare that to the MM.

2020-4-2
Use props
congeetime
lvl.3

Canada

120ccpm Posted at 4-2 15:31
GPS: define "a while"...
Wi-Fi: every signal gets weaker with distance, so it's perfectly normal for you to have connection problems "the further I fly my drone". Flying straight above the RC puts the AC antennas in the least favorable position, so try to avoid that. If you really must do it, at least keep the RC antennas horizontal, to mitigate the problem. Mavic Pro has a much better transmission system, so you cannot compare that to the MM.

I would say about a minute after successfully calibrating which takes 2 or 3 times of calibrating before its successful.   Also depends on location as well.  I just flew it in my backyard. When I was in the middle of my backyard(all grass, nothing obstructing it), it couldnt pick up a GPS signals but when I moved closer to my house and on my deck, it picked up signal which I found kind of odd since my deck is slightly under my roof.  Last time I used it, I was at a near by lake.  Right beside the water with nothing obstructing it. It wouldn't pick up signal until I stepped back bout 2 or 3 metres.  

Ahhh, I see, thanks for the info.  I figured the signal strength would be about the same considering the mavic pro is a bit older than the mavic mini but now I know why my buddy was saying wifi drones are a bit questionable.  
2020-4-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

congeetime Posted at 4-2 15:46
I would say about a minute after successfully calibrating which takes 2 or 3 times of calibrating before its successful.   Also depends on location as well.  I just flew it in my backyard. When I was in the middle of my backyard(all grass, nothing obstructing it), it couldnt pick up a GPS signals but when I moved closer to my house and on my deck, it picked up signal which I found kind of odd since my deck is slightly under my roof.  Last time I used it, I was at a near by lake.  Right beside the water with nothing obstructing it. It wouldn't pick up signal until I stepped back bout 2 or 3 metres.  

Ahhh, I see, thanks for the info.  I figured the signal strength would be about the same considering the mavic pro is a bit older than the mavic mini but now I know why my buddy was saying wifi drones are a bit questionable.

The first suggestion I would make is to stop 'calibrating' the aircraft every time, it is not necessary. The warning is badly worded, the real solution is to move the aircraft away from where you are launching from. Do not launch from a deck, there can be iron and steel in its construction.

With regard to the GPS, it depends a lot on the terrain where you are, if you are in a mountain area, it can take a while for the GPS to obtain a fix. Tall trees can also block the signal.

2020-4-2
Use props
congeetime
lvl.3

Canada

Geebax Posted at 4-2 15:55
The first suggestion I would make is to stop 'calibrating' the aircraft every time, it is not necessary. The warning is badly worded, the real solution is to move the aircraft away from where you are launching from. Do not launch from a deck, there can be iron and steel in its construction.

With regard to the GPS, it depends a lot on the terrain where you are, if you are in a mountain area, it can take a while for the GPS to obtain a fix. Tall trees can also block the signal.

Appreciate the suggestions, ill try those next!
2020-4-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi congeetime, sorry to hear your confusion. Could you please check if there is an error message prompt in your DJI FLY app? If yes, please provide us with a screenshot or record a video to show us the details, we'd like to help you check it.
At the same time, you are recommended to refresh the firmware for your aircraft and the remote controller to the latest, change flight environment to try it again. Should there any further issues, please feel free to let us know.
2020-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules