Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini Sticky Motor
3195 8 2020-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stuminator
lvl.1

Australia

Hi all, my Mavic Mini has been flying erratically and today having not flown it for some time I took it out and found that it wasn’t responding very well to stick inputs and then it decided to descend to the ground on its own and had a rough landing on a loose course sandy granite type surface and flipped over.  It didn’t look like there was any damage to speak of but I decided to update the firmware and perform an IMU and compass calibration when I got home. When I went to do a test flight one of the motors wouldn’t start and on further investigation I noticed that the motor was sticky compared to the other working motors.  I removed the propellers and then removed the three screws that secure the motor to the arm and then gently pulled the motor to retrieve a little more wire from within the arm so that I could take a closer look at what was causing the obstruction. I couldn’t see anything obvious but headed to the shed and fired up my air 130 PSI air compressor with the nozzle attachment and proceeded to give the motor a good blast of air whilst holding the motor upside down and turning it to allow any debris to escape.  Must have been a small piece of sand or something but now the motor spins freely and all is well on a backyard flight test.

Cheers

Stuminator
2020-4-3
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Thanks for your input. Personally I always avoided taking off and landing in dusty places and now even resort to hand launch and land every time (aided by a neck strap for the RC/MD assembly).

I also installed motor caps and before I did I lubricated the motor spindle. What I've noticed after a few minutes they were all turning more freely than they were before. I now plan on doing it regularly, dismounting the propellers for consistency  check, clean the motors spool packs, lubricate the spindle.
2020-4-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Good to know the motor is working again, we do not recommend customers to disassemble the drone on your own, if there is any further problem, pelase don't hesitate to contact our support team and send in for the evaluation.
2020-4-4
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

I had a similar issue with the gimbal. I got the gimbal overload error and when moving it manually, I could feel it getting hung on smth. After moving 10-15 times up and down manually, it cleared up. No problem since but now I avoid taking off from dusty areas without the landing pad.
2020-4-5
Use props
Troy Hoover
New

United States

Worked for me also took a few try’s but worked great .Thanks again saved me a lot of trouble.
2021-10-19
Use props
Guorium
Captain
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Perhaps just a grain of sand. Lucky you blasted it out. I always hand launch and hand catch. Disregarding safety of my fingers grants more flexibility and cleanness.
2021-10-23
Use props
djiuser_feRCFGKa82KV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 702 ft
United States

I just unboxed my mini, and I got a stuck propeller error. I turned the motors a little by hand and noticed a little resistance on the right front motor. It felt like a little too much litho grease in assembly, after a couple of turns it spins freely, and the code stopped and it flew fine for a couple of short indoor tests. But it still doesn’t spin as freely as the other motors. Is this just a “breaking in” issue that will improve? Or is it an indicator of a bigger problem? Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Thanks for any input!
2022-1-4
Use props
DenN
lvl.1

United Kingdom

djiuser_feRCFGKa82KV Posted at 1-4 16:39
I just unboxed my mini, and I got a stuck propeller error. I turned the motors a little by hand and noticed a little resistance on the right front motor. It felt like a little too much litho grease in assembly, after a couple of turns it spins freely, and the code stopped and it flew fine for a couple of short indoor tests. But it still doesn’t spin as freely as the other motors. Is this just a “breaking in” issue that will improve? Or is it an indicator of a bigger problem? Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Thanks for any input!

Same here! Front left motor in my case, i noticed it when i first took off the stickers holding the props in the box for packaging and went on to check if all four motors rotate freely. The other 3 felt fine and turn easily but the front left one felt completely stuck. After trying a few seconds i managed to wiggle it free, now it rotates but still feels stickier than the rest, as if there's a bit of glue in it. Definitely not sand or any debris since it's brand new out of the box.
After finishing the unpacking and charging everything, i did manage to the mini turn on and spin without errors, so at least that's better. Didn't take off yet so don't know if it will be fine or that one will be warmer than the others.

Did you get any response from DJI?
2022-1-29
Use props
Mr. Rocketman
Flight distance : 6355 ft

United States

m80116 Posted at 2020-4-4 11:23
Thanks for your input. Personally I always avoided taking off and landing in dusty places and now even resort to hand launch and land every time (aided by a neck strap for the RC/MD assembly).

I also installed motor caps and before I did I lubricated the motor spindle. What I've noticed after a few minutes they were all turning more freely than they were before. I now plan on doing it regularly, dismounting the propellers for consistency  check, clean the motors spool packs, lubricate the spindle.

Where did you get the motor caps?
2022-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules