Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone lost - need help to anticipate where it can be
2173 37 2020-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PiotrPL
lvl.1
Poland

Good morning Dear Users,

I have lost a Mavic Mini  yesterday due to strong gusts of wind. I know you might already be fed  up with this kind of threads, but I'm devasted and I'm searching for any  data I can use to find the drone, as I believe it's still out there.

It was my second flight, I'm not experienced and I know it's all my  fault. I've lost sight of it and I run towards the last seen location,  but the drone was all gone.

I'm sending you a trail:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TWBDPQKYO852OF4P95SH

Could you please predict, taking under consideration all the data listed  there, where it could be? I've searched for 5 hours the area nearby and  I found nothing. This area, btw, it's small gardens for people living  in flats - so it's generally a mess. Yesterday I was sure it's somewhere  in the gardens, however right now I'm not so sure.

Maybe with some insights from you I will find the drone eventually.

Thank you very much!
2020-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your drone lost signal at 4m 33sec, when signal returned at 6.07 it started to return home, it was making ground but very slowly and at 7m 46sec it looks like it hit wind and started to go backwards slightl to your left , it lost almost 320ft when you lost signal.
The last coordinations known are below, if it was still flying it could have drifted a bit further on the wind as it still had 47% battery and would have continued until low battery 15/20%, but it’s very hard to put a point where this would have occurred, maybe someone like Labroids might be able to pinpoint a little closer.
You can see on map in phantomhelp log direction it was heading.
Last know coordinates
2020-4-4
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Hard to tell where it has landed, with 47% battery it will drift away a long distance.

But my calculated 'guess' is the orange marker. (if at 11 meter fly height no obstacles are 'seen' )
Hope you will find your MM !

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-4-4
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Sorry to get to know you for this unfortunate event.

Perhaps your picture is giving us a hint of why that happened ?

I think you should also address your request to the Mavic Pilots forum, they like to scorn MM users over there, but other than they have a couple people that might help you exactly determine a patch of land where to search for with their mathematical model approach.
2020-4-4
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm probably going to embarrass myself here but anyway..... It looks like at the end of the data the Mini is dropping at a rate of about 1 meter every 2 seconds. That shows in the spreadsheet clearly. Does anyone have an idea of why that would happen with no recorded input from the operator?

I know this is a huge assumption with 47% battery power left, but just to make a starting point for the search, if it kept falling at that rate, it would only be about  65 meters (at the horizontal speed at that time, 20s x 3.3m/s) east of the last recorded location. If it were me searching, I would start at the last recorded location and walk east.

And yes, I do see the earlier drop in altitude with the Mini regaining the altitude before that.
Ther are probably at least two members here who will say this is ridiculous...but I'm ok with it...so feel free to do so ;-)

2020-4-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 4-4 19:10
I'm probably going to embarrass myself here but anyway..... It looks like at the end of the data the Mini is dropping at a rate of about 1 meter every 2 seconds. That shows in the spreadsheet clearly. Does anyone have an idea of why that would happen with no recorded input from the operator?

I know this is a huge assumption with 47% battery power left, but just to make a starting point for the search, if it kept falling at that rate, it would only be about  65 meters (at the horizontal speed at that time, 20s x 3.3m/s) east of the last recorded location. If it were me searching, I would start at the last recorded location and walk east.

If it was the usual uncommanded descent, then it probably did not get down to ground level as it usually stops before it gets there. And if it was descending because of a stick command, that would also stop once the connection was lost. But good try anyway.
2020-4-4
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 4-4 21:15
If it was the usual uncommanded descent, then it probably did not get down to ground level as it usually stops before it gets there. And if it was descending because of a stick command, that would also stop once the connection was lost. But good try anyway.

good points.
2020-4-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry for your loss, but good to see some of our experienced users help analyze, you may refer to their suggestion to have a try. At the same time, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support in working hours to start a ticket for the data analysis, wish you good luck.
2020-4-5
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 4-4 19:10

Hi Gary,

Thanks, i have updated FRAP (this slow descent rate in RTH mode was not recognized....)

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2020-4-5
Use props
PiotrPL
lvl.1
Poland

Thank you very much for your replies. I went to the area with the orange marker, but I didn't find anything - it's vast rural area. I will keep searching anyway. It's also a good idea to start searching at 65 m east. I will try my best, but I still can't believe it just dissapered into thin air.
2020-4-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PiotrPL Posted at 4-5 02:26
Thank you very much for your replies. I went to the area with the orange marker, but I didn't find anything - it's vast rural area. I will keep searching anyway. It's also a good idea to start searching at 65 m east. I will try my best, but I still can't believe it just dissapered into thin air.

Try putting up notice somewhere local, it’s not really any use to anyone and it most certainly will have landed so shouldn’t be damaged.
Good luck.
2020-4-5
Use props
PiotrPL
lvl.1
Poland

I put notices all over the place. And now I'm thinking it would be a good idead for next time or for you, if you ever encounter the same situation, to put a .txt or .doc file into the sd card with the info how to reach you, if anybody will find it and try to use just the card. If the person who find it will be honest, it should work.
2020-4-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PiotrPL Posted at 4-5 03:06
I put notices all over the place. And now I'm thinking it would be a good idead for next time or for you, if you ever encounter the same situation, to put a .txt or .doc file into the sd card with the info how to reach you, if anybody will find it and try to use just the card. If the person who find it will be honest, it should work.

You can add your information to the drone itself this does help .
2020-4-5
Use props
fans1cafe718
First Officer
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 4-5 03:10
You can add your information to the drone itself this does help .

...indeed yes...myself have my name and phone on my mini's fuselage
2020-4-5
Use props
grahamjohnson10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2817172 ft
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 4-5 02:00
Hi Gary,

Thanks, i have updated FRAP (this slow descent rate in RTH mode was not recognized....)

Hi JJB what is the latest version number of FRAP.

Please could you post the download link.
2020-4-5
Use props
miniDrone360
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24442897 ft
  • >>>
Iran

I'm sorry for your lost and hope you can find it. In your situation, you must immediately shutdown your motors by controller...
2020-4-5
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

grahamjohnson10 Posted at 4-5 03:41

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=203659
2020-4-5
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

grahamjohnson10 Posted at 4-5 03:41

Hi

Busy with update version, including DAT data.
But takes some time....

cheers
JJB
2020-4-5
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

And anyway... then you don't want the RC to explode in the customer's hands when it just vibrates...

Pretty much everything has been ignored: the AC manual, the propguards guide, the Max Power Load warning, the Not Enough Power and finally left the poor Mini with a massive propeller cage handicap in 11 meters per second wind with gusts of 14 at ground level, with no clear and steady input not even in the brief moments they were given.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=50.8 ... 00m&t=20200403/1400

I'm sorry to batter on about this I can't show any sympathy after what I am seeing... WHY !?

Even RTH land could have saved this lost puppy, at least one knew where it was for later retrieval....
2020-4-5
Use props
PiotrPL
lvl.1
Poland

Thank you for all the answers. I searched the drone today for another couple of hours and tomorrow I'm gonna do it again. He has to be there somewhere.
2020-4-5
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 4-5 13:04
You’re waffling again, just because you lost your drone through your own ignorance doesn’t mean it’s the same for everyone .

It's you that lost your mind, Sir. Go ahead... you're on your own.

Evidently the last ban hasn't been of any usefulness to you. You're seeking for two.
2020-4-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 4-5 14:42
It's you that lost your mind, Sir. Go ahead... you're on your own.

Evidently the last ban hasn't been of any usefulness to you. You're seeking for two.

Well it’s pretty obvious you have no problem castigating others who accidentally lose their drones, but maybe start with fact that you lost your own drone didn’t have the bal#s to post your logs , you’re just around waffling and most know it .
2020-4-5
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

Predictably hallmark went fuming... to be fair I am quite unfazed but also wondering if those upvoting his lies, foul language and personal attacks really know what kind of person he is. Clearly he's at a loss for arguments to say the least.
Funny thing I've even PMed him months ago to show my sympathy as he clearly couldn't post after receiving the ban.  He's really learnt nothing from it...

PM_hallmark007.jpg
2020-4-5
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

PiotrPL Posted at 4-5 03:06

Place a sticker on the drone with your contact info.
2020-4-5
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

The only thing clear is that you're either mentally ill or very ill-intentioned.

You're clearly targeting me by quite some time, continually using other people's topics to deliberately attack on free thoughts that tyrants like you wouldn't like to be expressed.

But I cannot accept DISHONEST people SPREADING LIES on my account.

1. You went on an unsolicited vicious PERSONAL ATTACK when I stated the obvious: in this case the OP was likely using the propeller guards (as payload mode was enforced) in a wind WAY STRONGER than the drone is designed to withstand (without prop.guards), the Control Stick inputs are clearly too short and conflicting at times and my strongest remark was "I can't show any sympathy after what I am seeing... WHY !?".

Are you the one that decides for others what they're allowed to express? Not only I've never made such a sequence of mistakes but I couldn't show my symphaty despite trying to help because he's had of course ignored almost everything, from flying in heavy wind conditions in a suburban area with a drone heavier than the ultra-light regulation would allow, heavily impared with prop.gards (again very well discouraged outside, other than rendering it illegal w/out a license) and without any preparedness or know-how to operate in an emergency situation, like the short and distressed controls registered in the telemetry show. A totally preventible loss, and despite this...

2. I helped out immediately: I think I've given him one of the very best advices one could give, and that was to head to MavicPilots.com forum, where there's a couple of people that are well trained with their mathematical models to exactly determine a patch of land where to search for. I have no idea if he's done that but despite the very biased opinions they might have about the Mavic Mini (like being a fatally flawed product) they've always helped everyone that knocked on their door for as long as I've been there.

3. You're OFF topic but I don't think this matters to you... The log you're FALSELY accusing me of having not posted has been publicly linked for about 2 weeks on the Mavic Pilots forum and has been already acknowledged by DJI that accorded me a 30% discount. This doesn't happen in case of a user fault, you surely are aware of this.

Not only that... I've paid dobule the price, having had to deal with the very same issue until nowadays, with random and frequent RC to MD disconnection (and yet I've been abled to fly and produce interesting stuff), spuriously passed by the Fly app as AC to RC disconnection. My drone fell and was lost or stolen while it was on his RTH path. I already posted (and I am still available to show to 3rd parties) the flight log (which is still online, the original upload from December 2019), where it is very well clear that I was operating in LoS, above any possible building and clear of any obstacle, in full strength signal, and of course full of picture and videos that show there was zero wind, plumes of smoke coming out absolutely vertically, good view, birds passing by the flocks (unfortuntately).

When I had my first RC cable disconnection (the first ever for me at the time) I saw the spurious message RTH in 11 seconds in front of a greyed out picture... since it wasn't happening I depressed the RTH button. My drone went down impacting a bird on the way back, numerous by the flocks in the area (piegeos, swallows). The cause cannot be determined by DJI or anyone reading the log because when the MD to RC lost connection all the telemetry was stopped being received and that can be tracked back to a faulty USB OTG cable which DJI finally sent replacement for very recently.

Thus not for my IGNORANCE I depressed the RTH button myself, knowing full well that if an RTH was in progress I would have stopped it... but since I was puzzled by not-regaining signal and not seeing the drone coming back, I made sure it was on RTH... and it indeed went into RTH (which of course I have no telemetry because the OTG link was out), only at that point all the RC LEDs started blinking and real RTH was initiated. Unfortunately that never completed because with an almost conclusive certainty it impacted a bird or a flock and went down on the way back.

Now that everybody knows my story and YOUR LIES have been exposed why don't you tell us about yours.

Why do you use any possibile thread to dash other people's views with foul language and personal attacks?
Why do you like to spread false facts about other people?
Are you ready to provide a public eplanation as to why you got banned recently?

Screenshot_20200227-110630.jpg Airdata_26_Dec_final_flight_notices.jpg DJI_Re_02-03-2020_RC_prob_ack.jpg DJI_Re_07-01-2020_30pct.jpg DJI_Re_01-04-2020_OTG_sent.jpg
2020-4-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 4-6 12:08
The only thing clear is that you're either mentally ill or very ill-intentioned.

You're clearly targeting me by quite some time, continually using other people's topics to deliberately attack on free thoughts that tyrants like you wouldn't like to be expressed.

All I can say is Mavic pilots fully agree with what I’ve said and 30% is no proof of anything, why put your log up on Mavic pilots who incidentally never found in your favour , why omit it from here, yet ridicule all others here who genuinely post their log looking for help, not fools who can’t read logs telling them as you did here that it’s there fault, just put up your logs.

Dji didn’t find for you and the fact they gave you 30% shows who most of the blame is put down to.

I have no respect for people who coward behind posting ridiculous PM or behind logs never posted.
Now go away bother someone else, and you owe the OP an apology and I’m almost certain just like others he will receive 30% discount as is and has been the norm for the past 5 years around here.
2020-4-6
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

30% is the most that you can get. I've personally never seen of anyone getting more than that, except for full replacements which are offered when full telemetry is present, actually not my case since the USB OTG problem, and anyway it wouldn't have covered since my drone was downed by a bird, but the originating problem was most probably a DJI product fault, i.e. the USB OTG cable. While I cannot exclude my S9+ is at fault I tortured the poor smartphone in every possible way including wiggling and pulling the USB data cable with an ongoing data transfer to the PC, and it remained stable and continued the operation.

I think it's obvious who's the one that needs to apologize for messing up a thread with your repeated personal attacks and off topics, you've been the one to admit that you've already been banned from here because of your foul language, beyond your false accusation and malicious statements as fully displayed here.
2020-4-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 4-6 12:42
30% is the most that you can get. I've personally never seen of anyone getting more than that, except for full replacements which are offered when full telemetry is present, actually not my case since the USB OTG problem, and anyway it wouldn't have covered since my drone was downed by a bird, but the originating problem was most probably a DJI product fault, i.e. the USB OTG cable. While I cannot exclude my S9+ is at fault I tortured the poor smartphone in every possible way including wiggling and pulling the USB data cable with an ongoing data transfer to the PC, and it remained stable and continued the operation.

I think it's obvious who's the one that needs to apologize for messing up a thread with your repeated personal attacks and off topics, you've been the one to admit that you've already been banned from here because of your foul language, beyond your false accusation and malicious statements as fully displayed here.

You need to stop lying about people , you’re a person no one could trust, and I have never been banned for foul language or false accusations, but thats a tactic you don’t seem to have any problems using through your lies.

You accused the OP of loosing his drone through his own inadequacy without producing any proof and you have become well known for this all over this forum, a snake in the grass, and the only foul language as you call it was to use the word fool and I stand by it .
2020-4-6
Use props
m80116
Captain
Italy

Yes... right! You've been banned because of (and I quote) "straight talking"

You're the only one accusing, cursing, and desperately mirror-climbing to put never expressed words into somebody's else mouth.

What the OP has done is pretty clear... had he knew the wind was far beyond the design limit, had he knew the cage was not meant to fly outside, had he knew it wasn't even legal, had hew knew that lowering the altitude, had he knew that you can land your drone commencing the operation and it does that in your point of choice even if it loses connection. Wasn't it better than a multiple day travail and fathom every piece of turf in the area ?

You can go put your head under the sand now... cause you're really compromising your position further more every single reply that you spew out.
2020-4-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

m80116 Posted at 4-6 13:18
Yes... right! You've been banned because of (and I quote) "straight talking"

[view_image]

Unbelievable you are nothing but a snake, you have ruined any chance members can believe that pm are just that, a sleeze ball with no comprehension of how to conduct anything, it’s no wonder no one likes you.

You don’t know what straight talking is, you’re a coward who thinks it’s ok to publicly print personal messages, which is against the rules of this forum.

You know nothing about drones and less about life.
2020-4-6
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-5 16:55
Place a sticker on the drone with your contact info.

Yes, I have my phone number written on the body...and inside on the bulkhead in front of the battery.
2020-4-6
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I wish I could sit down with these two guys and buy them a beer. Life is too short for this stuff.
2020-4-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Hypocrisy knows no bounds.
2020-4-6
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

PiotrPL Posted at 4-5 02:26

Don't give up even if it takes up way too much of your time. I once tried to find a lost boat anchor and chain in muddy waters (cue Mississippi blues artist) . It was not worth my time, maybe $100, but I really wanted to win the battle. After a quick (1 hour) search with no results, I devised a search pattern so that I would not repeat my territory. In maybe 5 hours over a week, I found it. It was very satisfying even though I had replaced the anchor already ;-)
2020-4-6
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 4-6 17:51
Yes, I have my phone number written on the body...and inside on the bulkhead in front of the battery.

That's always a good idea.  I ordered a bunch of small decals with my contact info.  Every drone & battery gets one just in case.
2020-4-6
Use props
PiotrPL
lvl.1
Poland

So, just to update you:
I've searched continuously for another 3 days, couple of hours each, and I still didn't find it. I throughly searched both green zones and put posters all over inhabitatet areas around. For now no news.
I've also contacted guys who fly on powered hang glider and paragliding, but they can't fly because of the pandemic. The sun is shinning over a week now and any prognosis doesn't predict rain, so there's still a chance to find it somewhere.
2020-4-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PiotrPL Posted at 4-9 02:03
So, just to update you:
I've searched continuously for another 3 days, couple of hours each, and I still didn't find it. I throughly searched both green zones and put posters all over inhabitatet areas around. For now no news.
I've also contacted guys who fly on powered hang glider and paragliding, but they can't fly because of the pandemic. The sun is shinning over a week now and any prognosis doesn't predict rain, so there's still a chance to find it somewhere.

Hopefully, have you reported to dji ?
2020-4-9
Use props
PiotrPL
lvl.1
Poland

. Yes, I did. Waiting for their answer now.
2020-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules