1234Next >
26626 128 2020-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

I am wondering if dji have any plans to include the the RAW format in any of its firmware updates?

I would also ask if dji have plans to allow litchi to use the sdk to devlop integration with the litchi software?

Any info would be great !

best wishes Richie

MOCKINGBIRD MEDIA HOME

2020-4-4
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

The SDK is expected to add support for the Mini mid-2020, at that point Litchi could add support for the Mini. As far as RAW goes... i honestly don’t think they’ll add that...
2020-4-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mavic Mini doesn't support RAW and we don't receive any info about adding the support on it. SDK support is expected to be added this month, please keep an eye on the update on our official website for the latest news.
2020-4-4
Use props
Akirasho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1622238 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 4-4 21:14
Mavic Mini doesn't support RAW and we don't receive any info about adding the support on it. SDK support is expected to be added this month, please keep an eye on the update on our official website for the latest news.

That is not a "NO"!
2020-4-4
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Akirasho Posted at 4-4 22:04
That is not a "NO"!

It’s pretty close, though
2020-4-5
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

Mavic Mini doesn't support RAW and we don't receive any info about adding the support on it. SDK support is expected to be added this month, please keep an eye on the update on our official website for the latest news.

Good news about SDK support. Thanks for info!
2020-4-5
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Can’t wait for Litchi to support the Mini. If they’ll be adding all the smart functions they have for the higher class drones (e.g. Planned missions), it’s gonna be freakin’ awesome
2020-4-5
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 4-5 02:41
It’s pretty close, though

never say never. Be a great addition to the mini to add raw support
2020-4-5
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 4-5 02:48
Can’t wait for Litchi to support the Mini. If they’ll be adding all the smart functions they have for the higher class drones (e.g. Planned missions), it’s gonna be freakin’ awesome

totally agree ! im glad that dji are going to release the sdk to litchi so they can integrate the mini into its software
2020-4-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-5 09:35
never say never. Be a great addition to the mini to add raw support

Be a great addition to the mini to add raw support
Because when you buy DJI's cheapest, most underpowered, lightweight, low-spec economy drone, what you really need is professional imaging ability.
2020-4-5
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The mini can't support raw.
2020-4-5
Use props
Steven So
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10010 ft
Hong Kong

Yes DJI had said that SDK should be ready on April. But they said the launch day may be postpone due to COVID-19.
2020-4-5
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 4-5 02:48

The question is more. What will the SDK give access to.
2020-4-5
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 4-5 20:13
The question is more. What will the SDK give access to.

Being able to use the litchi software to fly missions ! Then again some people see the mini as an unworthy part of the family, a bit of a toy ! whilst i agree its entry level and not packed full of all the gizmos that the elitists expect, it still does a job and is enjoyed by entry level to advanced users alike.

Im sure that litchi will enjoy developing the software. once the software ddevelopment kit is released to the litchi team.
2020-4-5
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Steven So Posted at 4-5 17:40
Yes DJI had said that SDK should be ready on April. But they said the launch day may be postpone due to COVID-19.

I am sure it will only be a matter of time before its released. Then people will have the choice as to whether to use litchi or not
2020-4-5
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 4-4 15:18
The SDK is expected to add support for the Mini mid-2020, at that point Litchi could add support for the Mini. As far as RAW goes... i honestly don’t think they’ll add that...

Seems to be the general consensus that the RAW format is in fact a format that cant be supported?

Is this due to hardware/software limitations and compatibility or is it down DJI not wanting to offer such a format in a lower priced drone and is not part of their marketing strategy.

2020-4-5
Use props
Dmitry Vishnevskiy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 588635 ft
Russia

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-5 23:32
Being able to use the litchi software to fly missions ! Then again some people see the mini as an unworthy part of the family, a bit of a toy ! whilst i agree its entry level and not packed full of all the gizmos that the elitists expect, it still does a job and is enjoyed by entry level to advanced users alike.

Im sure that litchi will enjoy developing the software. once the software ddevelopment kit is released to the litchi team.

Spark SDK is released. Spark uses Litchi, but do not able to fly missions. This feature is hardware-dependent...
2020-4-6
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-5 23:41
Seems to be the general consensus that the RAW format is in fact a format that cant be supported?

Is this due to hardware/software limitations and compatibility or is it down DJI not wanting to offer such a format in a lower priced drone and is not part of their marketing strategy.

I'm pretty sure it *can* be supported but it *won't*. It makes sense from a marketing perspective to not eat too hard into the sales of the higher-priced drones.
2020-4-6
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Dmitry Vishnevskiy Posted at 4-6 00:02
Spark SDK is released. Spark uses Litchi, but do not able to fly missions. This feature is hardware-dependent...

well, that would be a low blow after all the anticipation....
2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 4-6 00:20
I'm pretty sure it *can* be supported but it *won't*. It makes sense from a marketing perspective to not eat too hard into the sales of the higher-priced drones.

And that is indeed my take on it also ! So the bottom line is its all about money and marketing? would you agree?
2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 4-6 00:20
well, that would be a low blow after all the anticipation....

i tend to agree bit pointless using litchi if if doesnt support mission flying? But if there are hardware limitations then as the end user its what we have to accept.
2020-4-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-6 00:27
i tend to agree bit pointless using litchi if if doesnt support mission flying? But if there are hardware limitations then as the end user its what we have to accept.

I think because spark battery lasts about 11/12 minutes was a real problem for litchi hopefully with much longer battery in Mini we will see litchi incorporating mission flying.
2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-6 00:34
I think because spark battery lasts about 11/12 minutes was a real problem for litchi hopefully with much longer battery in Mini we will see litchi incorporating mission flying.

So is the mini actually capable of using all the software facilities that litchi has to offer! seems like some on the thread seem to be implying the mini has hardware limitations, that would curtail the mini using litchi to fly missions?  or am i missreading what peolple are writing?
2020-4-6
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-6 00:37
So is the mini actually capable of using all the software facilities that litchi has to offer! seems like some on the thread seem to be implying the mini has hardware limitations, that would curtail the mini using litchi to fly missions?  or am i missreading what peolple are writing?

it all depends on what DJI expose through the SDK. If they addd support for controlling the drone and the gimbal, I honestly see no reason for Litchi not to add all these features. Especially since there are so many Minis out there and the difference between what you get with the stock Fly app and what you could get from a full Litchi integration is so huge that they would get tons of new customers.
2020-4-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-6 00:37
So is the mini actually capable of using all the software facilities that litchi has to offer! seems like some on the thread seem to be implying the mini has hardware limitations, that would curtail the mini using litchi to fly missions?  or am i missreading what peolple are writing?

I believe it can do essentially what litchi has done in other dji drones, we know the drone can be programmed to preform automatic missions like quickshot etc, so I think mission flying is possible and is really what litchi is about, I don’t think dji will hold back anything when releasing SDK .
For me mini is an ideal drone for mission flying because of its battery life .
2020-4-6
Use props
Lizard King
lvl.2
Germany

Any digital camera puts out RAW data that is internally developed into a JPG. RAW is not something extra it is there anyway.
Also: RAW Support won't turn this into a professional camera It just would give you a little more flexibility in restoring highlight and shadow details and editing colors. It would still be a tiny-sensor camera with limited capabilities and no danger for more expensive drones. Most compact cameras and most smartphones can shoot RAW. Why shouldn't the mini?

As a Mavic drone and the "everyday Flycam" it should be a given.
2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 4-6 00:42
it all depends on what DJI expose through the SDK. If they addd support for controlling the drone and the gimbal, I honestly see no reason for Litchi not to add all these features. Especially since there are so many Minis out there and the difference between what you get with the stock Fly app and what you could get from a full Litchi integration is so huge that they would get tons of new customers.

Litchi integration is so huge that they would get tons of new customers.<< totally agree with that statement.

2020-4-6
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Lizard King Posted at 4-6 01:00
It would still be a tiny-sensor camera with limited capabilities and no danger for more expensive drones.

Don't the Air and the Zoom have the same sensor size?
2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Lizard King Posted at 4-6 01:00
Any digital camera puts out RAW data that is internally developed into a JPG. RAW is not something extra it is there anyway.
Also: RAW Support won't turn this into a professional camera It just would give you a little more flexibility in restoring highlight and shadow details and editing colors. It would still be a tiny-sensor camera with limited capabilities and no danger for more expensive drones. Most compact cameras and most smartphones can shoot RAW. Why shouldn't the mini?

Ive no doubt that the camera can be made to have the RAW format enabled. The sensor captures raw and then the internal software changes it into the required format. or so im lead to believe.
2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 4-6 01:02
Don't the Air and the Zoom have the same sensor size?

Spark
Sensor Size: 6.3 x 4.7mm
Max Photo Resolution:  3968×2976
Max Video Resolution:  1920×1080 @ 30p
Lens Focal Length (35mm Equivalent): 25mm
Photo Formats:  JPEG only
Video Formats:  h.264

Mavic Mini
Sensor Size:  6.3 x 4.7mm
Max Photo Resolution:  4000 × 3000
Max Video Resolution:  2720 × 1530 @ 30p
Lens Focal Length (35mm Equivalent):  24mm
Photo Formats:  JPEG

Mavic 2 Zoom
Sensor Size: 6.3 x 4.7mm
Max Photo Resolution:  4000 × 3000
Max Video Resolution:  3840 × 2160 @ 30p
Lens Focal Length (35mm Equivalent):  24-48mm Zoom
Photo Formats:  JPEG or DNG (RAW)

Mavic Air
Sensor Size:  6.3 x 4.7mm
Max Photo Resolution:  4056 × 3040
Max Video Resolution:  3840 × 2160 @ 30p
Lens Focal Length (35mm Equivalent):  24mm
Photo Formats:  JPEG or DNG (RAW)
2020-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-5 23:41

Did you know that you can transform your Fiat Panda into a Ferrari with a firmware update?
The only reason this is not available is a marketing strategy thing to protect sales of supercars.
You do realise that the Mini weighs less than 250 grams and to get it to such a low weight and a low price, that lots of things that are standard features on larger, more expensive drones had to be left out?

2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 4-6 00:54
I believe it can do essentially what litchi has done in other dji drones, we know the drone can be programmed to preform automatic missions like quickshot etc, so I think mission flying is possible and is really what litchi is about, I don’t think dji will hold back anything when releasing SDK .
For me mini is an ideal drone for mission flying because of its battery life .

I agree it has great potential if and when dji decide to open up all of its potential! which its obviously has !
2020-4-6
Use props
Lizard King
lvl.2
Germany

Labroides Posted at 4-6 01:15
Did you know that you can transform your Fiat Panda into a Ferrari with a firmware update?
The only reason this is not available is a marketing strategy thing to protect sales of supercars.

Of course. The amount of weight you can save by software limitations is enourmous...
2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Lizard King Posted at 4-6 01:24
Of course. The amount of weight you can save by software limitations is enourmous...

could i have lots of weighty software and get rid of the prop gaurds instead
2020-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-6 01:26
could i have lots of weighty software and get rid of the prop gaurds instead

Of course, DJI's cheapest, most underpowered, slowest toy drone is really just a Matrice 210 being held back by software limitations.
It's only suckers and losers that pay real dollars for real drones.

Dream on.
2020-4-6
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Labroides Posted at 4-6 02:15
Of course, DJI's cheapest, most underpowered, slowest toy drone is really just a Matrice 210 being held back by software limitations.
It's only suckers and losers that pay real dollars for real drones.

I honestly don't understand why you go this route, this is just basic straw man argument and I'm sure you realise the absurdity of your exaggerations. Any camera starts with the RAW data which it then either saves like that or it encodes to a different format. Since that RAW data is already available, it is clearly a software decision to discard that RAW data after encoding it to JPEG instead of simply dumping it to the SD card. A decision which as I already said is totally understandable in DJI's drone lineup. We can simply acknowledge it was normal for them to do this in order to protect their higher end drones (literally every single maker of any type of device does that and it's perfectly normal) without resorting to ridiculous claims like "asking for the RAW data to be dumped on the SD is like asking to transform your Fiat Panda into a Ferrari or a Mini into a Matrice 210". We can do a lot better than that in terms of discussion level.
2020-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 4-6 02:36
I honestly don't understand why you go this route, this is just basic straw man argument and I'm sure you realise the absurdity of your exaggerations. Any camera starts with the RAW data which it then either saves like that or it encodes to a different format. Since that RAW data is already available, it is clearly a software decision to discard that RAW data after encoding it to JPEG instead of simply dumping it to the SD card. A decision which as I already said is totally understandable in DJI's drone lineup. We can simply acknowledge it was normal for them to do this in order to protect their higher end drones (literally every single maker of any type of device does that and it's perfectly normal) without resorting to ridiculous claims like "asking for the RAW data to be dumped on the SD is like asking to transform your Fiat Panda into a Ferrari or a Mini into a Matrice 210". We can do a lot better than that in terms of discussion level.

I honestly don't understand why you go this route, this is just basic straw man argument and I'm sure you realise the absurdity of your exaggerations.
I honestly don't understand why people who buy the cheapest, low spec drone fantasise about it doing the things a drone that costs 4 times as much can.
Or that they imaging that the manufacturer will magically turn their pumpkin into a serious drone.
It's fine to dream but reality tends to get in the way sometimes.
2020-4-6
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 4-6 02:36
I honestly don't understand why you go this route, this is just basic straw man argument and I'm sure you realise the absurdity of your exaggerations. Any camera starts with the RAW data which it then either saves like that or it encodes to a different format. Since that RAW data is already available, it is clearly a software decision to discard that RAW data after encoding it to JPEG instead of simply dumping it to the SD card. A decision which as I already said is totally understandable in DJI's drone lineup. We can simply acknowledge it was normal for them to do this in order to protect their higher end drones (literally every single maker of any type of device does that and it's perfectly normal) without resorting to ridiculous claims like "asking for the RAW data to be dumped on the SD is like asking to transform your Fiat Panda into a Ferrari or a Mini into a Matrice 210". We can do a lot better than that in terms of discussion level.

i wonder how many people on this thread actually own and have flown a mavic mini? And are basing their responses on actual experience with the mini.Also certain members find it necessary to get involved with threads just so they can propagate their own negativity. I dont care what anyone says about the mni, it has great potential and is a great piece of kit to fly.
2020-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

mockingbirdmedia Posted at 4-6 02:55
i wonder how many people on this thread actually own and have flown a mavic mini? And are basing their responses on actual experience with the mini.Also certain members find it necessary to get involved with threads just so they can propagate their own negativity. I dont care what anyone says about the mni, it has great potential and is a great piece of kit to fly.

I dont care what anyone says about the mni, it has great potential and is a great piece of kit to fly.
That is until it just gives up and decides it wants to lose altitude despite pushing the left stick full forward and/or won't tilt properly to maintain speed when you need it to.
2020-4-6
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

Labroides Posted at 4-6 03:07
I dont care what anyone says about the mni, it has great potential and is a great piece of kit to fly.
That is until it just gives up and decides it wants to lose altitude despite pushing the left stick full forward and/or won't tilt properly to maintain speed when you need it to.

...do other drones have less failures than the relatively new mini...?
2020-4-6
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules