Mavic Mini - not suitable for urban use
3189 5 2020-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dr. Alex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 156916 ft
Bulgaria

I wanted to confirm the very limited urban range of Mavic mini. If you live in a large city like a capital 2.4 GHz is totally unusable, I mean I lose connection if the drone is my hands. 5.8GHz is nice and smooth but expect less than 500 mm, something like 200-300 m. So urban photography is quite complicated with the Mini.

My thought is given the fact 2.4 is not practical, and EU limits the transmission power in 5.8, the drone producers have to think up something like using new frequency (that is permitted) or smth, because after the Mini (which is a very nice drone), I am unlikely to buy something from DJI again, because I know the transmission power will be low. Maybe imported chinese drone like Hubson Zino 2, after they correct the hovering and landing problems...

What r ur thoughts guys?
2020-4-5
Use props
Renato61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

I think that use in urban range is illegal.
2020-4-6
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Renato61 Posted at 4-6 00:36
I think that use in urban range is illegal.

Not everywhere. In my country for instance it's only illegal to takeoff/land in an urban area, but you can fly over it weirdly enough.

With regards to the OP's question, I have two observations:
1. The topic should really be titled about the Mini CE, as the FCC model is much better in urban areas.
2. Higher-end DJI drones do use a different technology (OccuSync 2.0 for the M2P for instance) which provides much better range and stability. They are still significantly limited when flying in CE space (5km range compared to 8km (or is it 9km?) range in FCC space) but it should be just fine.
2020-4-6
Use props
Dr. Alex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 156916 ft
Bulgaria

Ice_2k Posted at 4-6 00:49
Not everywhere. In my country for instance it's only illegal to takeoff/land in an urban area, but you can fly over it weirdly enough.

With regards to the OP's question, I have two observations:

I see now. I think the Mini is ok for my first drone, but expected more in the city. If it becomes a hobby, maybe I will try the higher end DJI drones or wait for some other chinese drones like the Zino 2 or Fimi X8 SE 2020 which use 5.8 but with higher transmission power. I will wait for more EU feedbacks, so It will not turn out that even these are transmission limited in EU.

2020-4-6
Use props
Satstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 392024 ft
Germany

Hello, in Germany, flying over foreign land is only allowed with the permission of the owner, but in principle not blocked! There are 27 2.4GHz WiFi networks in my area. I can still fly safely over my property. I was always in control of the Mavic-mini. The security mechanisms implemented in the software work perfectly. There is a military airport near me. The app indicates the zone and the height restriction and the aircraft is set accordingly!
2020-4-6
Use props
m80116
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I have a friend with a MP and he flies it like a satellite controlled bombing drone... he just tuck into some corner and flies the thing without orienting, without pointing the antennas and w/out a single hiccup more than 1 Km away... I like his Pro but I like my Mini eve better... because of Mini ;) and I like challenges...
2020-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules