GPS Lat / Long / Distance To Home / Home Direction?
4260 12 2020-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
silpheedx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11936 ft
United States

Hey hey;
All the recent OSD updates are AMAZING!
Just curious, does anyone know if  the following is going to be added
GPS Lat
GPS Long
GPS Distance To Home
GPS Home Direction
2020-4-6
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lag and Lon already work on the custom OSD, but are not saved anywhere to be used to find the drone. The other items were promised in the next update but There’s no telling how long this will take..
2020-4-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The requirement will be recorded and forwarded to our R&D department to notice. Thank you for your suggestion.
2020-4-7
Use props
mc54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

The last significant update was January 13th.  Hopefully something is coming soon as China gets through the Covid problem and goes back to business.  In the meantime I guess we all got to hunker down and wait....
2020-4-7
Use props
silpheedx
lvl.2
United States

Tom_A Posted at 4-6 21:20
Lag and Lon already work on the custom OSD, but are not saved anywhere to be used to find the drone. The other items were promised in the next update but There’s no telling how long this will take..

Oh! I did not even know that .
Thank you so much
Getting close to time to build an inav dji rig.

2020-4-7
Use props
silpheedx
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 4-7 03:24
The requirement will be recorded and forwarded to our R&D department to notice. Thank you for your suggestion.

Thank you!
DJI has been absolutely amazing with this product.
I honestly have never seen a company of this size listen to its customers this much.
It is very very much appreciated.
2020-4-7
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

I find that the OSD in the goggles RE is absolutely lacking and completely un-accepable compared to the information available in the Go4 app...

situational awareness in the goggles is terrible.. flying in goggles is claustrophobic already but the lack of telemetry, batter details, map, etc.. make a bad situation worse.. I have far better situational awareness just using my phone.. a complete disappointment for such expensive hardware and lagging cheap analog FPV systems that cost 1/10 the price

cheap $5 apps on the app store that use $10 VR goggles provide much better Situational Awareness.. can orient not only the aircraft to the home point but just like the Go4 app.. can orient me and the way I am facing in relation to the aircraft (i.e. to ensure I am facing the aircraft for better signal)

its a half baked product at best that hasn't been updated since 2018

2020-4-7
Use props
silpheedx
lvl.2
United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 4-7 10:56
I find that the OSD in the goggles RE is absolutely lacking and completely un-accepable compared to the information available in the Go4 app...

situational awareness in the goggles is terrible.. flying in goggles is claustrophobic already but the lack of telemetry, batter details, map, etc.. make a bad situation worse.. I have far better situational awareness just using my phone.. a complete disappointment for such expensive hardware and lagging cheap analog FPV systems that cost 1/10 the price

Yeah, I'm sorry thats your experience friend.
Honestly it sounds like you are a Phantom or Mavic pilot.
Honestly sounds like you are not an FPV pilot.

Flying FPV is NOT for people that want a drone that mostly flies itself.
Again, nothing wrong with those types of drones. Phantoms and Mavics are amazing, all sorts of fun, and staggeringly powerful for professional uses.
If you want a drone that keeps you from crashing and goes where you tell it to autonomously and takes amazing  footage then Phantoms and Mavics are wonderful.
If you want to be one with your drone, to have complete and total control of your drone and pay the price if you do not know how to fly. Then fly FPV.

Personally I find that the dji air unit finally brought to life what I dreamed FPV flight would be like.
Personally I give it an 11 out of 10 and I give DJI a 20 out of 10 for how they  have listened to its users and provided these updates at a really fair rate.

The fact that DJI was happy to let the Caddx Vista HD System Air Unit even exist shows that DJI is treating this whole thing differently and it makes me very happy.

There is no way I could have pulled off this flight without the dji air unit

2020-4-7
Use props
mc54
lvl.4

United States

I fly long range quads and I'm a flight stats nerd, I like a lot of info coming across my OSD....not because I need it....I just like it.  Distance, Altitude, direction home...these are pretty useful numbers. I have been flying fine with the current minimal OSD info, I'd just enjoy having MORE.  I'm pretty sure DJI has this coming soon, I've heard it again and again on this forum and in RC Groups.  
2020-4-7
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

mc54 Posted at 4-7 13:58
I fly long range quads and I'm a flight stats nerd, I like a lot of info coming across my OSD....not because I need it....I just like it.  Distance, Altitude, direction home...these are pretty useful numbers. I have been flying fine with the current minimal OSD info, I'd just enjoy having MORE.  I'm pretty sure DJI has this coming soon, I've heard it again and again on this forum and in RC Groups.

I like having more flight information as well. The Betaflight OSD displays a scene full of flight stats when you disarm. The DJI goggles should be able to do this. What they do now is reset the flight timer when you disarm. This should be reset when you arm again. Note when you disarm. How long was the flight? Oh, the number is gone. Thie system is such an amazing, game changing system. Getting the OSD more comparable Betaflight OSD would make the system perfect, but I’m hoping they eventually do some things with the OSD that Betaflight OSD can not do.
2020-4-7
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

silpheedx Posted at 4-7 11:31
Yeah, I'm sorry thats your experience friend.
Honestly it sounds like you are a Phantom or Mavic pilot.
Honestly sounds like you are not an FPV pilot.

I fly quads from micro whoops to 30+lb commercial rigs, I fly wings, I fly a mavic and spark too.. I also fly real jets.. and use to wear a space suit for a living.. so I think I am pretty versed as to what I like and don't like for instrumentation and visual presentation ..

I also mostly like to fly more than 100 yards from where I am standing... no offense to race guys or freestyle guys like yourself.. its just one type of flying..

for in close and fast reaction time stuff.. I am on analog anyway so no issues...and the air unit is too big and bulky anyway..   I really like the hud in Vector flight controllers especially for fixed wing acro and dog fighting

but when DJI announced an air unit for long range occusync.. that was appealing for aircraft/wing drivers where my typical flights last half hour.. not 4 minutes like yours..  but the info presented for the air unit is even less than presented for a mavic which is pretty bad already ..

the go4 app has a lot more info that is easy to digest and some of that could have made it into a HUD presentation in the goggles.. and honestly it should be user configurable

to me .. this is a hud

2020-4-8
Use props
silpheedx
lvl.2
United States

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 4-8 12:02
I fly quads from micro whoops to 30+lb commercial rigs, I fly wings, I fly a mavic and spark too.. I also fly real jets.. and use to wear a space suit for a living.. so I think I am pretty versed as to what I like and don't like for instrumentation and visual presentation ..

I also mostly like to fly more than 100 yards from where I am standing... no offense to race guys or freestyle guys like yourself.. its just one type of flying..

First, I have to hand over all respect to you good sir. Color me impressed. My deepest apologies for assuming anything and making an ars out of me.
Second. I do agree that I wish we could just pipe out own OSD through the Air Unit. All that sweet hud info is ultra crucial for the long range hooligans and folks such as yourself.
Since you have this level of experience I am curious to pick your brain.
In your years have you been in contact with any of the folks that do the circuit board design for your hardware? If so I am curious to prod them for some ideas.
I know fat shark has been trying their own solution but its just not quiet there yet. Its really good. But the clarity is just not there.
Anyways, I would think that their has to be a way to splice into the cameras cable and add an osd digitally.
Or possible a way to rebuild this sort of system.  I think, I think maybe the air unit can get the clarity thanks to 2x2 mimo wifi bandwidth and some sort of small nvidia shield type compression and decompression chip on either end. I don't know. Its just a theory.
Or or, possible since there already is an analogue hack for the goggles could we get the video just before it hits the screens and then use a telemetry radio to add an osd from within the goggles?
If so, there might be a way to have someone else step in and help provide some competition to help speed this tech down the road a bit faster.
In any event. Just an idea.
Again, my apologies for my assumptions and congratulations on having such a cool career history.
2020-4-8
Use props
mc54
lvl.4

United States

I second the need for an end of flight stats summary screen.  
2020-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules