United States

Hi. This post pertains to the following Mavic Mini firmware update:
Overview:
Date: 2020.04.23
Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0500
Remote Controller: v01.00.0500
DJI Fly App iOS: V1.0.8
DJI Fly App Android: V1.0.8
I already had my Fly app IOS upgraded to 1.0.8.  I updated the firmware with the Fly app. The download and installation went smoothly until I turned the Mavic Mini power back on (as instructed on the screen) after the power went off during the update. When i turned the power to the Mini back on I got a busy icon on the screen which I let it do its thing for about 25 minutes at which time I figured something wasn't quite right. I closed the window with the busy icon and saw the prompt "Geo Zone" where the flight mode is displayed. Also in the upper left corner of the screen it said "Overheated processor". I powered the drone off, powered the controller off, and powered my Ipad Mini IOS device off. I let everything cool down and recharged the Mini battery to 100% power.
I took the Mini out to test it and everything seemed normal until I received a "Motor error" warning telling me to return to the home point and land the Mini ASAP. The motor error message popped up after about three minutes of flight. The wind was variable (about 5 mph) and the temperature was about 60 degrees F. I landed the Mini and heard a beeping noise on the drone on the left front motor (when viewed from the front). On the Fly app screen it said to change the props on the motor where the beeping was coming from and after changing the props if the error message and beeps continued to contact DJI support. I inspected all the props for any irregularities and checked the nut tightness - all seemed good. I didn't change the props but instead did another short flight after I had powered the Mini off thinking the motor error warning was a glitch in the new firmware. I got another motor error warning again about three minutes into the second flight and the beeping sound on the drone at the same motor area.
I saw in an earlier post someone talking about getting a motor error warning when testing out the new firmware. I have flown this Mini maybe about 3 hours maximum total flight time. I haven't had any crashes or scrapes on any objects with the props nor have I ever had a "Motor error" warning. Should I proceed and change the props and see what happens?
This post is to inform pilots of this behavior and I hope someone can shed some light on this new firmware flight test episode. Thanks for any help.

2020-4-23
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

Yes, please change the props on that motor, and report back. This new Motor Error message seems to be an early-warning for the problem that - if not corrected - might trigger an uncontrolled descent. It appears now the firmware detects where (what motor) the problem originates from, and prompts the user explicitly to replace the props. What causes it in the first place is not very clear, it could be different batches of props, deformation due to improper storage, a firmware issue, or a combination of all these factors.
2020-4-23
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I cannot believe if they've really done this. They're actively checking the motors rpm to see if they match a pre-defined range, possibly to mitigate the impact of the ESC problems originating from flattened propellers.

I never in a million years expected DJI to address the issue as affectively as it might seem.  I'am impressed.
2020-4-23
Use props
Ivens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3917021 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

m80116 Posted at 4-23 13:50
I cannot believe if they've really done this. They're actively checking the motors rpm to see if they match a pre-defined range, possibly to mitigate the impact of the ESC problems originating from flattened propellers.

I never in a million years expected DJI to address the issue as affectively as it might seem.  I'am impressed.

The important thing is to observe now how effective this solution is.
2020-4-23
Use props
fjelsten
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1949009 ft
Denmark

I went flying also this night and got it 3 times, each time after approx 10 mins flight time. The prop looks fine. Maybe we're at risk that they've overdone it? My Mini has not flown much either (recently refreshed) - I cannot believe the props already have issues (but I will exchange them).
2020-4-23
Use props
Selah1234
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67221 ft
United States

fjelsten Posted at 4-23 14:15
I went flying also this night and got it 3 times, each time after approx 10 mins flight time. The prop looks fine. Maybe we're at risk that they've overdone it? My Mini has not flown much either (recently refreshed) - I cannot believe the props already have issues (but I will exchange them).

Hi. I changed out my props on the beeping motor and went out to test it. Unfortunately about 3 days ago I updated the Fly safe database through the Fly app and found that I can no longer takeoff where I live. So I went out further away from the local airport on my way to Walmart for some food. I was allowed to fly and flew for over 4 minutes in gusty wind conditions (appx. 20 mph) and had no motor error prompts nor any high wind warning prompts ( I flew maximum 40 feet altitude). It looks like I did have something wrong with that set of props. I am happy about that but not the no takeoff permitted where I live. I am seriously thinking about selling my Mavic Mini . I have quite a few extra items which would be included with the drone and controller (some of which were never used). Also I have the DJI Care Refresh plan (which is transferrable). I bought this drone 3-3-20 from Adorama Camera. Thanks.
2020-4-23
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

Selah1234 Posted at 4-23 15:57
Hi. I changed out my props on the beeping motor and went out to test it. Unfortunately about 3 days ago I updated the Fly safe database through the Fly app and found that I can no longer takeoff where I live. So I went out further away from the local airport on my way to Walmart for some food. I was allowed to fly and flew for over 4 minutes in gusty wind conditions (appx. 20 mph) and had no motor error prompts nor any high wind warning prompts ( I flew maximum 40 feet altitude). It looks like I did have something wrong with that set of props. I am happy about that but not the no takeoff permitted where I live. I am seriously thinking about selling my Mavic Mini . I have quite a few extra items which would be included with the drone and controller (some of which were never used). Also I have the DJI Care Refresh plan (which is transferrable). I bought this drone 3-3-20 from Adorama Camera. Thanks.

You can't do the self unlock thing for the zone you are in? When I first got my drone I found out that I am in a zone, but then found out how easy it is to unlock it through the DJI Fly Safe site or even in the fly app itself. For the app you simply start the props using the joystick method (both sticks down and in) and then it prompts you to unlock, and you check 3 boxes and you are done. In any event, I actually like the fly safe part because it reminds me where the zones are.
2020-4-23
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-23 16:13
You can't do the self unlock thing for the zone you are in? When I first got my drone I found out that I am in a zone, but then found out how easy it is to unlock it through the DJI Fly Safe site or even in the fly app itself. For the app you simply start the props using the joystick method (both sticks down and in) and then it prompts you to unlock, and you check 3 boxes and you are done. In any event, I actually like the fly safe part because it reminds me where the zones are.

I haven't yet seen the issue, but I am hoping that the prop warning is in place of the unintentional decent that some of the drones were doing. I haven't seen anyone post yet if after you ignore the prop warning, does it then eventually descend.
2020-4-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-23 16:16
I haven't yet seen the issue, but I am hoping that the prop warning is in place of the unintentional decent that some of the drones were doing. I haven't seen anyone post yet if after you ignore the prop warning, does it then eventually descend.

Likely to take more than one prop (pair of matched blades) to be bad, before MM suffers from uncommanded descents, and continues to descend despite pilot trying to increase altitude.  Someone would have to save up a set of FW flagged bad props, then be willing to test them on their MM.  Risking their MM during testing.

Could also be two totally different problems.  With as of yet, an unresoveled FW bug causing uncommanded descents.

DJI has been asking for feedback.  Here is a good case for it.  
Communications with DJI is almost a One-way Street, with FW information being vague.
In regards to flight dynamics, all DJI mentioned in recent FW release (04/23) was: "Improved flight stability in some scenarios."
No mention of scenarios, what was done, and why in release notes.  Nothing about detecting and warning pilot of bad or deformed props.

2020-4-23
Use props
Selah1234
lvl.4
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-23 16:13

Hi. I wasn't aware of the unlock method you are talking about. In the upper left corner of the screen the app now says "Geozone". According to a DJI flight zone map I saw a couple months ago where I live it allowed me to fly up to a 200 ft. altitude. I live slightly more than a mile away from the local airport (the way the crow flies)  and it used to give me a warning that I was in a authorization zone and by checking a box on the app acknowledging I was responsible to fly responsibly  it allowed me to takeoff. I hope your method will work for me. Thanks for the information. I'll try it out Friday.
2020-4-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

How do you even hear a beep from a particular motor? It is not like they each have a microphone attached...
2020-4-23
Use props
Selah1234
lvl.4
United States

Guorium Posted at 4-23 20:35
How do you even hear a beep from a particular motor? It is not like they each have a microphone attached...

Hi. It's easily distinguishable which prop motor is beeping. Evidently the Mini has 4 different voice boxes or one voice box that can do smart diagnostic ventriloquism .
2020-4-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Selah1234 Posted at 4-23 20:53
Hi. It's easily distinguishable which prop motor is beeping. Evidently the Mini has 4 different voice boxes or one voice box that can do smart diagnostic ventriloquism .

Ok I see your reason. But I have to maintain my disbelief.
2020-4-23
Use props
Selah1234
lvl.4
United States

Guorium Posted at 4-23 21:11
Ok I see your reason. But I have to maintain my disbelief.

As the old saying goes "Hearing is Believing".
2020-4-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Selah1234 Posted at 4-23 21:24

Hard to imagine why DJI would put 4 directional beepers into the drone when they are saving extreme weight for the drone. I would not want to hear the motor error beep  on the other hand.
2020-4-23
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Guorium Posted at 4-23 21:34
Hard to imagine why DJI would put 4 directional beepers into the drone when they are saving extreme weight for the drone. I would not want to hear the motor error beep  on the other hand.

What? Are you serious? What beepers? All drones (Brushless motors) can beep by motor Itself, no additional beepers Needed
2020-4-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Guorium Posted at 4-23 21:34

Possibly the "beeping" is the motor itself.   ESC activating motor's windings in a way which makes a noise, but rotor does not turn.  
2020-4-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

ARTPiranha Posted at 4-23 22:00
What? Are you serious? What beepers? All drones (Brushless motors) can beep by motor Itself, no additional beepers Needed

Yes you are right the beepers are the motors...
2020-4-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Selah1234 Posted at 4-23 21:24

Did the beeping motor twitch while making the sound?
2020-4-23
Use props
Selah1234
lvl.4
United States

Hi. I was just thinking maybe I had a bent prop which was bent before I even got the drone off the ground from the canine shenanigans I made a post about earlier on this forum : Maiden Flight Interruption
2020-4-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7ludo ... 2017.22.48.mov?dl=0

You’ll hear it here, it’s my guess that many have mistakenly put props on wrong, or at factory they were put on wrong .
2020-4-23
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 4-23 23:12

You’ll hear it here, it’s my guess that many have mistakenly put props on wrong, or at factory they were put on wrong .

link doesn't work. It is ok I found some brushless motor beep on youtube
2020-4-23
Use props
Eragorn87
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1708947 ft
Italy

hello, yesterday after the update I had your same problem and I had to replace the propellers
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

I am ok with replacing props when needed, but I am curious if you don't replace the props does it just flash the message or does it eventually do an uncommanded decent. I've never experienced either, but it would be reassuring if the decent thing is done with. Now, if you ignore the prop warning,  your drone will just eventually catch fire.
2020-4-24
Use props
jperkmr954
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1228609 ft
United States

Morning All! So I opened my Fly App and I did see something about an update, but I didn't do it yet. From what I am gathering, there is a new set of warnings in regards to props and possibly some geo zone adjustments in this? Is this confirmed or just observations? I know they sometimes will list the new features in updates.
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

jperkmr954 Posted at 4-24 04:04
Morning All! So I opened my Fly App and I did see something about an update, but I didn't do it yet. From what I am gathering, there is a new set of warnings in regards to props and possibly some geo zone adjustments in this? Is this confirmed or just observations? I know they sometimes will list the new features in updates.

It allows you to use manual camera settings with video as well as adjusting exposure with video. Also, the prop warning (hopefully does away with the uncommandered decent). There is an update for the drone, the RC and the batteries.
2020-4-24
Use props
Selah1234
lvl.4
United States

jperkmr954 Posted at 4-24 04:04

Hi. I believe the Geozone updates came from the Fly Safe database update which was a separate update a few days earlier than this big firmware update. It could be incorporated into this firmware update but personally I can't tell because I updated just the Fly Safe data base separately a few days before this most recent firmware update came out.
2020-4-24
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It comes directly from that particular esc
2020-4-24
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

2020-4-24
Use props
djiuser_h8A4uGiwXurm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 506263 ft
Canada

I did the update as well but my issue is the Dji Fly app is speaking a different Language

Can anyone help or is it just me
@pato_bravofs
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_h8A4uGiwXurm Posted at 4-24 12:47
I did the update as well but my issue is the Dji Fly app is speaking a different Language

Can anyone help or is it just me

It is on the home screen, Profile, Settings, Language
2020-4-24
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

How incredibly odd. Beeping from the motor? Makes me want to see a teardown now.
2020-4-24
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
United States

Vlas Posted at 4-24 13:03
How incredibly odd. Beeping from the motor? Makes me want to see a teardown now.

It is just a motor. The ESC can make it buzz by rapidly alternating the current. It does the same thing when you use the Find My Drone feature, except is does all four motors at once.
2020-4-24
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-24 13:13
It is just a motor. The ESC can make it buzz by rapidly alternating the current. It does the same thing when you use the Find My Drone feature, except is does all four motors at once.

Thank you. I never thought of that and certainly stands to reason.
2020-4-24
Use props
fjelsten
lvl.3
Denmark

fjelsten Posted at 4-23 14:15

I replaced my rear left prop and did a hover in in my back year at 1 m height until 5% on the battery. No errors this time. I could see nothing on the props, not bent or flattened.
2020-4-24
Use props
fjelsten
lvl.3
Denmark

The motor buzzes. Put your ear up to it and it's clear which one it is.
2020-4-24
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Ice_2k Posted at 4-24 11:17
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7ludofdrkku2qc/Screen%20Recording%202020-04-23%20at%2017.22.48.mov?dl=0

Great thanks. I figured the buzz should come with twitching motor.
2020-4-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

fjelsten Posted at 4-24 14:51
I replaced my rear left prop and did a hover in in my back year at 1 m height until 5% on the battery. No errors this time. I could see nothing on the props, not bent or flattened.

"I could see nothing on the props, not bent or flattened."

Its possible blades of props have a problem which can not be seen by eye.  Measurements of blades shape when compared to blade's design may show blades are within spec.
However, blades may still be bad, internally.  Blades may be flexing (twist, bend, ...) under stress.  DJI should be able to test suspect bad blades for excessive flexing.  

2020-4-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Deucalion Posted at 4-23 16:16

Yes it does drop, and this is why you’re getting warning, we have seen many uncommanded descents , and since new FW we now know why, it’s not so much damaged props but props put on wrong and most likely by manufacturers, also if users changed props out and didn’t correctly put them back on.

There is a correct sequence for installing props and if not correctly done is going to cause problems. With all other dji craft you have a fool proof way of putting on props but for some reason dji forgot to implement this with mini.
2020-4-25
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 4-25 03:59
Yes it does drop, and this is why you’re getting warning, we have seen many uncommanded descents , and since new FW we now know why, it’s not so much damaged props but props put on wrong and most likely by manufacturers, also if users changed props out and didn’t correctly put them back on.

There is a correct sequence for installing props and if not correctly done is going to cause problems. With all other dji craft you have a fool proof way of putting on props but for some reason dji forgot to implement this with mini.

Hey...greetings to gorgeous Ireland!

...what do you think of users having this issue when using Fly app for firmware updates and then prob seems to dissipate when using computer DJI Assistant instead.

Thx for your input
2020-4-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules