My thoughts on the Mini are changing... and not for the better
1709 24 2020-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

I got the Mavic Mini after my first drone, the Phantom 3 SE. I didn't fly the Phantom that much due to its size and other factors (the area I used to live in was super wooded and a pain to fly in). After the Phantom, the Mini was a pleasant surprise. It packed in all the features of a Phantom 3, but at a much more portable size.

But after flying the Mavic Mini for some 10hours/ 400k feet, I'm starting to get bored. Here's why:

The Mavic Mini is basically just a flying camera. Yeah it has quickshots, but are they really useful? As a recreational flyer with no real plan when I go flying (just fly and take pictures when it looks nice) I'm honestly starting to get bored of what the Mini has to offer. I need something like ActiveTrack or Hyperlapses or Panoramas to keep me interested and give me more possibilities for creating media. For the Mini, the only thing that you're supposed to get excited about is flying. Yeah, flying is fun and all, but after hours and hours, I just want some variety, and the Mini isn't providing.

So for beginners out there... the Mavic Mini is perfect! A great drone to fly outdoors and indoors (just be careful) and to really understand the controls and how a DJI drone flies. But be ready to crave for more after you've flown yours for a while...

In other words... if you're limited on cash, be prepared to sell it and upgrade to another (I'm going for the Mavic Air 2), or if you're loaded, keep the Mavic Mini as a side drone for travel to more restrictive areas and fly a Mavic Air 2 or another more capable drone for more fun!

edit: Sorry, I guess i came off as a bit negative. I still love the Mavic Mini! I just wanted to give some thoughts for people that might not have lots of time on their hands and just want those cool features to add some variety without much thought!

2020-4-28
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

What do you want to say with that ? Then everything is boring with time or, let's say better: not as exciting as it was at the beginning. Everything. A new hobby, a new car, a new woman ... And every drone is a flying camera, no matter what it can do even more than the Mini. As so often said, everyone knows beforehand which functions he will buy.
2020-4-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Better skip the Air 2 and jump straight to the Inspire or Matrice otherwise you may feel the same in a few months.
2020-4-29
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry, but my mini is fit for purpose, my purpose. If you get bored, fine, get the next one, no problem.
2020-4-29
Use props
Deucalion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

Why are you settling so low for a Mavic Air 2? Are you strapped for cash? Why not go with an Inspire?
2020-4-29
Use props
djiuser_glmarJjYINIZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 456660 ft
Canada

Hey there i know what you  mean. But all you can do rite now and just come up with some cool and creative ways to make videos and take some cool photos .. the .mavic mini has a great camera  at 2.7k at 60fps is great to make awesome footage  and use the great features it comes with. Who know so I might come up with more better featureas in the future with a firmware update..  just do t think of it as a toy that your getting bored with use the drone to its full potential and listen to your creative side to make great content that will stun people   take it to the mAX i have faith in every dji drone pilot.. You spent the money for the best now just get out and use it to its fullest. I hope you make some great videos and have fun with your drone.

Take care
Steve
2020-4-29
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I few the Mini as a companion in areas where a larger drone could draw to much attention.
2020-4-29
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

To be honest I find limited stuff more creative than fully featured one for a beginner.

They train that area of problems solving and shortcomings overcome usually not involved with more upscale models and provide a cheaper test bench for your skills. If I ain't good with a Mini... I probably shouldn't upgrade in the first place. And anyway, even if I were pretty good with it, I still like some challenge. Like... not upgrading until I prove myself that I can produce tracking shots using the built-in functions or create panos in post.

Should I find myself in the condition of repeatedly use or seek that feature set the Mini is lacking, like doing panos, I might consider a model change, until that time Mini it is and with great fun and joy, knowing full well the limit is in the eye of the beholder, you can always find new ways to use a camera, let a lone a flying one.
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Deucalion Posted at 4-29 04:27
Why are you settling so low for a Mavic Air 2? Are you strapped for cash? Why not go with an Inspire?

I do still want incredible portability, and to me, the Air 2 still delivers with that!

And as a response to everyone as well as you, I guess I didn't put my words into context. As a engineering college student, this is a mere hobby of mine and I don't have too much time to Jerry rig a pano in photoshop, etc. Furthermore, as an avid cycler, I guess I'm just craving for that activetrack feature to follow my rides!

Thanks everyone for giving your thoughts
2020-4-29
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

ICDroneSE Posted at 4-29 06:13
I do still want incredible portability, and to me, the Air 2 still delivers with that!

And as a response to everyone as well as you, I guess I didn't put my words into context. As a engineering college student, this is a mere hobby of mine and I don't have too much time to Jerry rig a pano in photoshop, etc. Furthermore, as an avid cycler, I guess I'm just craving for that activetrack feature to follow my rides!

With how big the Air 2 is you might as well carry around the mavic pro or zoom, and active track will follow once the SDK releases and Litchi updates support for it. Granted it won't have the avoidance features but watch all the mavic vs skideo videos, the mavic is good at avoiding but most who use active track are positioning the drone where it's flight path is already out of the way of most obstacles. So with careful planning you could achieve the same look with the mini without those vision sensors. To each their own, I kind of want to upgrade from the mini to the air2 but the only reason would be its support for wind conditions, well that and ads-b since I live near a small airport. Though seeing how the community is left to debug DJI's products I'll wait for those early adopters to work out any hiccups that await. Having been one myself with the mini I'm thankful I still have mine.
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 4-29 07:42
[view_image]

With how big the Air 2 is you might as well carry around the mavic pro or zoom, and active track will follow once the SDK releases and Litchi updates support for it. Granted it won't have the avoidance features but watch all the mavic vs skideo videos, the mavic is good at avoiding but most who use active track are positioning the drone where it's flight path is already out of the way of most obstacles. So with careful planning you could achieve the same look with the mini without those vision sensors. To each their own, I kind of want to upgrade from the mini to the air2 but the only reason would be its support for wind conditions, well that and ads-b since I live near a small airport. Though seeing how the community is left to debug DJI's products I'll wait for those early adopters to work out any hiccups that await. Having been one myself with the mini I'm thankful I still have mine.

I agree, but you can't take tracking shots of yourself if you need to manually control it and that's what im craving But true, tracking using a controller isn't too bad.

As for portability, The actual carrying bag that comes with the Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo is actually about the same size I believe, because it isn't hardshell like the Mavic Mini

2020-4-29
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Different form factor, but maybe the Skydio is more suited to your needs??
Get the gps tracking module with it, and it will follow you like a puppy..
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Flycaster Posted at 4-29 09:56
Different form factor, but maybe the Skydio is more suited to your needs??
Get the gps tracking module with it, and it will follow you like a puppy..

Maybe, but the range is a big plus for me on the Mavic. I still want to be able to fly normally, take cool hyperlapses, etc along with Activetrack ( I know, I'm needy). Plus, DJI is a larger company and I won't risk not getting support.

Furthermore, for some tracking scenarios, the Mavic Air 2 seems better. I've watched a couple of youtube videos and the SKydio tries to be too smart sometimes haha..

Plus the DJi app is much nicer. Too cluttered with the SKydio

And well.. price as well. For the same base price of skydio ($999), I can get 3 batteries, a pack of great ND filters, and a carrying case perfect for hikes and travel~

2020-4-29
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Yuppers, it is a tough call...
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Flycaster Posted at 4-29 10:28
Yuppers, it is a tough call...

How is the original Mavic Pro holding up? What features do you not have with that older drone?
2020-4-29
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

My Savvy Mavvy Gen I is holding up fine, thank you. No issues. I don't have all those "fancy flight modes"
They tossed out during the "evolution" of the firmware for the bird. I just learned to do the moves manually.
Basically, the "features" I am "missing" are: NFZ clamp downs/restrictions, Gimbal resets/tilted horizons, and the dreaded "naggy quiz",
All else is as it came out of the box almost 3 years ago. And yeah, that means also "Da Firmwar"e for the bird...all original...
2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just ordered the new Mavic Air 2 and within 24 hours I was already disappointed because I read that it has no side sensors ;-)
2020-4-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 4-29 11:30
I just ordered the new Mavic Air 2 and within 24 hours I was already disappointed because I read that it has no side sensors ;-)

You can cancel I’m sure. No dji drone has full working side sensors.
2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-29 11:46
You can cancel I’m sure. No dji drone has full working side sensors.

I was kidding of course. Never cancel anything, especially a toy ;-)
2020-4-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 4-29 11:54
I was kidding of course. Never cancel anything, especially a toy ;-)

This ones not a toy, but although it doesn’t have side sensors it has APAS2 .
2020-4-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-29 12:09
This ones not a toy, but although it doesn’t have side sensors it has APAS2 .

OK, but it's all toys to me, especially my boats and old Trans Am ;-)

It says APAS 3.0 on the spec sheet but I have no idea the difference.

I wonder why there is no full user manual available yet.

2020-4-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

fool me once....

planning on getting the mavic 2 air around november.

right now i'm waiting on skydio and next up would be autel evo 2.

...at least that's the plan.
2020-4-29
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why do you keep making negative topics on the mavic mini forum about the mavic mini? If you don't like it that's fine. Everyone else here does. We all know you want to buy this other drone you keep making topics about it. What do you want from everyone here, conformation you are doing the right thing or something? The MA2 is a better drone of course but you pay a lot more for it. Maybe go to the air forum and post there about the air.
2020-4-29
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

deathsquad Posted at 4-29 15:57
Why do you keep making negative topics on the mavic mini forum about the mavic mini? If you don't like it that's fine. Everyone else here does. We all know you want to buy this other drone you keep making topics about it. What do you want from everyone here, conformation you are doing the right thing or something? The MA2 is a better drone of course but you pay a lot more for it. Maybe go to the air forum and post there about the air.

What do you mean, "keep" making posts about it? I made 2 posts in the same day, and I haven't made another post since... get your facts straight my guy. Every other post I've made has been on the Mavic Air 2 forum...
2020-4-29
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 4-30 03:47
Many of the Intelligent Flight Mode additions are just eye candy.  They too become boring after a time.  How many hyperspace or "rocket" shots do you see before they become boring?  These are just gizmos or eye candy type features.

Activetrac is great....if you're using it in a mostly open area free of complex obstacles.   If you are planning on using it to record yourself mountain biking through the forest, I suspect the initial excitement will soon turn to despair.  If this is your plan, be sure to purchase DJI Care!

Interesting shot mate.
2020-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules