DJI blocked flight in a DRONE PARK
2226 7 2020-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansab3693c4
lvl.1
United States

Hello - can we get DJI to fix this?

I tried to fly my Mavic 2 Pro at the local drone park (city sanctioned) and the app and controller DJI said it "IN NFZ", which it IS NOT!  And thus it will not take off.

This happened after the latest DJI update.  It was fine before then.

Can they fix their maps to re-include this area?  It's one of the few legal places to fly in LA, and I worry that if they don't fix this, it will cause amateur owners to fly illegally elsewhere.  

The park is called: San Fernando Valley RC Flyers Apollo 11 Field (http://www.valleyflyers.club/appolo-xi-field.html).

This drone park has been here for many many years, and I've been told that DJI has made this mistake before and needs to fix it.

Please help!
Thanks
Ben

2020-4-29
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love DJI hardware and software but absolutely dislike their NFZ rules implementation.
2020-4-30
Use props
Dirt Buster
lvl.1
United States

The fix to be honest, would be for DJI to remove the big brother restrictions.  The software should only warn and advise you that you are potentially in a.type of controlled airspace, not disable your drone.  It is NOT their place to try and enforce rules, regulations, ordinances or laws of different countries.  The enforcement of these areas is the province of the government of the country that the pilot lives in, NOT China.  The FAA  (Federal Aviation Administration) in the United States, is the sole authority that governs US airspace.
  I just bought a Mavic 2 Pro last month in April which cost $1500 US, not including the fly more bag and accessories.  I did not fly my drone for three or four days after purchase, because I read the manual, researched the rules and regulations and registered my drone.  Most people, which are the ones that have given us a bad name and forced the FAA to create and enact new laws that are more restrictive, are the ones that don’t read the manual, research rules and laws and just take it out of the box and fly it recklessly.  That being said, if I had known that A.  DJI was a Chinese company, I would not have purchased it.  B.  If I had known that they play drone police for the whole world by dictating where you can and cannot fly in your own country by disabling your drone, I would not have purchased it.
  DJI will lose more customers, recreational and commercial if they continue down this path.  If they do not change the current system software, to where it only warns you that you are potentially in controlled airspace and continue to disable the drone, I will not purchase nor recommend DJI products.  People that are hired by government agencies such as police, fire departments and such have had the same issue where they needed to fly a drone in places where an emergency like search and rescue have occurred and the DJI software disabled their drone because the emergency fell into potentially controlled airspace that required authorization.  I am not a child and despise the fact that they feel that they need to hold your hand like one.

Sorry for the rant, but I am frustrated like so many others.  The bottom line is that they need to change the software from disabling the drone to a warning system only.  The ultimate party responsible for breaking the law is the PILOT, not DJI.
2020-5-16
Use props
fansab3693c4
lvl.1
United States

Dirt Buster Posted at 5-16 01:37
The fix to be honest, would be for DJI to remove the big brother restrictions.  The software should only warn and advise you that you are potentially in a.type of controlled airspace, not disable your drone.  It is NOT their place to try and enforce rules, regulations, ordinances or laws of different countries.  The enforcement of these areas is the province of the government of the country that the pilot lives in, NOT China.  The FAA  (Federal Aviation Administration) in the United States, is the sole authority that governs US airspace.
  I just bought a Mavic 2 Pro last month in April which cost $1500 US, not including the fly more bag and accessories.  I did not fly my drone for three or four days after purchase, because I read the manual, researched the rules and regulations and registered my drone.  Most people, which are the ones that have given us a bad name and forced the FAA to create and enact new laws that are more restrictive, are the ones that don’t read the manual, research rules and laws and just take it out of the box and fly it recklessly.  That being said, if I had known that A.  DJI was a Chinese company, I would not have purchased it.  B.  If I had known that they play drone police for the whole world by dictating where you can and cannot fly in your own country by disabling your drone, I would not have purchased it.
  DJI will lose more customers, recreational and commercial if they continue down this path.  If they do not change the current system software, to where it only warns you that you are potentially in controlled airspace and continue to disable the drone, I will not purchase nor recommend DJI products.  People that are hired by government agencies such as police, fire departments and such have had the same issue where they needed to fly a drone in places where an emergency like search and rescue have occurred and the DJI software disabled their drone because the emergency fell into potentially controlled airspace that required authorization.  I am not a child and despise the fact that they feel that they need to hold your hand like one.

Indeed it's just plain frustrating.  I am not a professional by any means, but I have my Part 107 and have spent (before and after that) a ton of time getting know how to safely and properly operate my drone, and when I try to fly it in a safe and sectioned off Drone park, THAT is where I can't fly it?   As I've said before, that will only push novices  to fly in illegal places that aren't safe.

DJI should spend more effort educating rather than crippling the drone(s).  I understand the airspace restriction on paper, but this is a unique situation and there are many more like it as you have said.
Well now you've got me ranting.  

Alas, thanks for adding to the post.
2020-5-16
Use props
djiuser_aFK2ECrhBgDI
New

United States

Has there been any resolution to this?  Just got a mavic mini and am frustrated by all the restrictions and was hoping the apollo xi field would be a grave place to fly.
2020-6-23
Use props
fansab3693c4
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_aFK2ECrhBgDI Posted at 6-23 12:24
Has there been any resolution to this?  Just got a mavic mini and am frustrated by all the restrictions and was hoping the apollo xi field would be a grave place to fly.

Sadly no.  DJI responded on Twitter saying that it's up to the FAA who makes the master maps (not sure what they're called), and not DJI.  So we have to take it up with the FAA.  I sent them a message with no response, but I recommend contacting them about this so they can hear from more people.
2020-6-23
Use props
djiuser_xrWDzp3PXWPp
New

United States

I attempted to fly at this park today, and the restriction is still in effect. Has anyone successfully obtain permission to fly at this park? How did you do it?
2021-3-13
Use props
fansab3693c4
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_xrWDzp3PXWPp Posted at 3-13 11:41
I attempted to fly at this park today, and the restriction is still in effect. Has anyone successfully obtain permission to fly at this park? How did you do it?

Nope - never heard back from them and it was never fixed so I gave up on this one.  Very frustrating.
2021-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules