2238 43 2020-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Got up very early (for me) and took a little road trip to Castle Acre. This Castle was founded soon after the Battle of Hastings by the first William de Warenne, a close associate of William the Conqueror. It was a scouting mission really to see how suitable the castle would be to film some astrophotography from. I got airborne, took the pictures I needed and landed quickly. The Mavic Air sounded noisier than usual within the confines of the castle walls.

Castle Acre Norfolk

Castle Acre Norfolk
2020-5-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful capture.
2020-5-2
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great photo.
2020-5-2
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Wonderful pano
2020-5-2
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Great. And now on to the Priory, which I love even more!See it in the distance, but that west front is awesome.
2020-5-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 5-2 05:46
Beautiful capture.

Thank you Woe.
2020-5-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you Vlas.
2020-5-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you Maddox.
2020-5-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 5-2 06:21
Great. And now on to the Priory, which I love even more!See it in the distance, but that west front is awesome.

Thank you, that’s the plan, but it’s officially closed at present. Though I did scout out a footpath that cuts through the fields. So maybe another trip...although I’ve a different type of photo in mind!
I did wonder if you were a local, but your profile says Germany. As a young boy, I lived in Celle and loved the architecture there.. Do you get to visit Norfolk often?
2020-5-2
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

ChrisJG Posted at 5-2 06:42
Thank you, that’s the plan, but it’s officially closed at present. Though I did scout out a footpath that cuts through the fields. So maybe another trip...although I’ve a different type of photo in mind!
I did wonder if you were a local, but your profile says Germany. As a young boy, I lived in Celle and loved the architecture there.. Do you get to visit Norfolk often?

Just fly further. The Priory is in the distance! ;-)
I live in Germany but am a Life-member of Historic Scotland. So I try to come as often as possible (would have in April if not for corona - rescheduled to mid July - hope that works).
I have been to Norfolk two or three times: Norwich Cathedral, Castle Acre/Rising Castles, Ely (though that's a different county), Peterborough Cathedral, Cambridge...
See my site:
www.englandreise.org
www.schottlandreise.org
www.walesreise.org
Celle is not too far off from my home: Göttingen.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnULOR_yOWDR3jM3q0SS3HQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
I hope to see much more of Norfolk/East Anglia/England/the UK!!
2020-5-2
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very welcome.
2020-5-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're welcome.
2020-5-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 5-2 06:59
Just fly further. The Priory is in the distance! ;-)
I live in Germany but am a Life-member of Historic Scotland. So I try to come as often as possible (would have in April if not for corona - rescheduled to mid July - hope that works).
I have been to Norfolk two or three times: Norwich Cathedral, Castle Acre/Rising Castles, Ely (though that's a different county), Peterborough Cathedral, Cambridge...

Nicen sites, I can see that you've travelled extensively in the UK!
Just been watching your Harz Mountain videos, spent many happy summers in that region as a cub scout. One trip was cut short as there was wild boar spotted near the camp; we were all quite excited, but the leaders brought us home a day earlier than planned.

Good luck for your trip in mid July!
Chris
2020-5-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent pano.  Thanks so much for sharing.
2020-5-2
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

ChrisJG Posted at 5-2 11:11
Nicen sites, I can see that you've travelled extensively in the UK!
Just been watching your Harz Mountain videos, spent many happy summers in that region as a cub scout. One trip was cut short as there was wild boar spotted near the camp; we were all quite excited, but the leaders brought us home a day earlier than planned.

Thank you, Chris! Stay safe!
2020-5-2
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

ChrisJG Posted at 5-2 06:39
Thank you Maddox.

You're welcome ChrisJG
2020-5-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cool capture!
2020-5-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done but watch out for the police,  they have been pulling people for non essential travel.  I read about 1 family that drove 5 miles to view the meteorite showers and they got sent home for non essential travel, they tried to protest it was their daily exercise but they weren't having any of it.
2020-5-4
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 00:53
Nicely done but watch out for the police,  they have been pulling people for non essential travel.  I read about 1 family that drove 5 miles to view the meteorite showers and they got sent home for non essential travel, they tried to protest it was their daily exercise but they weren't having any of it.

Thanks for the heads up.
I leave my home at 10pm and travel on the back roads to quietly self isolate / excercise in dark, rural locations. Observed and photographed the Lyrid meteor shower from 11pm until 3.30am.
Left my home at around 5:45 to get to the castle, flew from about 7am for only 5/6 minutes and landed; there was a farmers market opening (with some controversy) that morning in the neighbouring town, so had a reasonable reason to be out.
I have the PDF from the College of Policing, where it clearly states that is is "lawful to drive for exercise" at the time of the night / day that I am out, the only company I have is wildlife.
Hopefully lockdown will gradually ease.
Stay well.

Chris

2020-5-4
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-2 16:05
Excellent pano.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Thank you!
2020-5-4
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers Peter.
Hope you and your family are okay.
2020-5-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're most welcome.
2020-5-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ChrisJG Posted at 5-4 08:09
Cheers Peter.
Hope you and your family are okay.

You're welcome.
Yes we are perfectly fine thanks!
And you?
2020-5-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 5-4 01:16
Thanks for the heads up.
I leave my home at 10pm and travel on the back roads to quietly self isolate / excercise in dark, rural locations. Observed and photographed the Lyrid meteor shower from 11pm until 3.30am.
Left my home at around 5:45 to get to the castle, flew from about 7am for only 5/6 minutes and landed; there was a farmers market opening (with some controversy) that morning in the neighbouring town, so had a reasonable reason to be out.

Lovely shot.    I think they could have done a better job with the guidance,  the Police guidance is "Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving)." Whereas the government limit exercise to 1 hour a day, thus you cannot reasonable drive very far.  Anyways. Stay Safe!
2020-5-5
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-5 00:20
Lovely shot.    I think they could have done a better job with the guidance,  the Police guidance is "Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving)." Whereas the government limit exercise to 1 hour a day, thus you cannot reasonable drive very far.  Anyways. Stay Safe!

Amen to that, and you!
2020-5-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 5-5 13:48
Amen to that, and you!

2020-5-6
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Very nice work!
2020-5-6
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you!
2020-5-6
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Impressive shot
2020-5-8
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 5-2 06:21
Great. And now on to the Priory, which I love even more!See it in the distance, but that west front is awesome.

...and I've found another Castle, in Norfolk that I don't think is on your list...more remote and the final approach road is pot holed and has two cattle grids too...tough on my Mini's suspension, but very atmospheric, even eerie after dark!
2020-6-2
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

ChrisJG Posted at 6-2 10:01
...and I've found another Castle, in Norfolk that I don't think is on your list...more remote and the final approach road is pot holed and has two cattle grids too...tough on my Mini's suspension, but very atmospheric, even eerie after dark!

Are you going to say which one or do I have to wait for the solution?
2020-6-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 6-2 11:37
Are you going to say which one or do I have to wait for the solution?

Sorry, needed to put the images together, here's the panoramic...it was again later than I'd like as I asked a family if they minded being filmed...
2020-6-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 6-2 11:37
Are you going to say which one or do I have to wait for the solution?

And of course these panoramic flights are really a reconnaissance "mission" for the night time photos. Too late when I took this as there was very little astronomical darkness, but the Milky way came out okay'ish.
2020-6-2
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

ChrisJG Posted at 6-2 12:58
Sorry, needed to put the images together, here's the panoramic...it was again later than I'd like as I asked a family if they minded being filmed...[view_image]

Baconsthorpe Castle.
I haven't been there, thought I saw pictures of it but had to search the web to find it. Not English Heritage, so it's off the beaten track for me (as a member of Historic Scotland).
Awesome place though and great pics! Love it.
Keep exploring your great countryside and heritage!
2020-6-2
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 6-2 21:50
Baconsthorpe Castle.
I haven't been there, thought I saw pictures of it but had to search the web to find it. Not English Heritage, so it's off the beaten track for me (as a member of Historic Scotland).
Awesome place though and great pics! Love it.

Hello, thank you, is now EH I think too, so some planning here https://www.english-heritage.org ... aconsthorpe-castle/

Good luck!
2020-6-4
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

ChrisJG Posted at 6-4 10:36
Hello, thank you, is now EH I think too, so some planning here https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/baconsthorpe-castle/

Good luck!

Good to know. Maybe 2022!
2020-6-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stunning capture Chris
2020-8-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 6-2 13:03
And of course these panoramic flights are really a reconnaissance "mission" for the night time photos. Too late when I took this as there was very little astronomical darkness, but the Milky way came out okay'ish. [view_image]

Thats an awesome capture mate
2020-8-6
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 8-6 00:11
Thats an awesome capture mate

Thank you!
2020-12-9