Magical Montauk Sunset shot on Mavic Mini
1387 16 2020-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1929918 ft
United States

Anyone have any hot tips for reducing noise in low light conditions w/ the MM?  Is it better to use exposure comp to brighten or darken the image while shooting then compensate in post?

2020-5-3
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Beautiful Sunset.

Tips? Um... Any of mine would apply to Spark where you can set the exposure.
2020-5-3
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mysterious indeed!
2020-5-3
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Tentoes Posted at 5-3 09:51
Beautiful Sunset.

Tips? Um... Any of mine would apply to Spark where you can set the exposure.

So now w/ the most recent Fly app + Firmware U CAN set the exposure manually for video!!! Plz do share!
2020-5-3
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 5-3 11:33
So now w/ the most recent Fly app + Firmware U CAN set the exposure manually for video!!! Plz do share!

Well, first off, if you have a filter, don't use it for sunrise or sunset. Set your ISO as low as you can get it, like 100 or 200. Use the graph, um, I forget its name, to set the shutter speed. You'll probably have 60 or lower. Then go 1 or 2 stops faster to bring out the colors.

Now, shoot regular video flying SLOWLY to the side. Keep it like 1km/hour. Tripod mode helps. Go as long as you can without changing ANYTHING. I usually go till I get a battery warning.

Now, when you get home, use a video editing program. Clip off any messy bit at the start and end of the video. You want nice smooth motion. Your editor can now make this a time laps by shortening the time this clip is displayed. I use HitFilm and go to "Speed and Duration." Any good video editor has such a feature.

I try to position so there's some water or trees in front of th drone to give it a foreground.

2020-5-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice work!
2020-5-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful footage.
2020-5-4
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-4 01:02
Beautiful footage.

Thanks guys! and thanks for watching!!
2020-5-4
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Tentoes Posted at 5-3 15:12
Well, first off, if you have a filter, don't use it for sunrise or sunset. Set your ISO as low as you can get it, like 100 or 200. Use the graph, um, I forget its name, to set the shutter speed. You'll probably have 60 or lower. Then go 1 or 2 stops faster to bring out the colors.

Now, shoot regular video flying SLOWLY to the side. Keep it like 1km/hour. Tripod mode helps. Go as long as you can without changing ANYTHING. I usually go till I get a battery warning.

Thanks for the tips... the "graph" is called a Histogram... the MM does have a fixed aperture, so I can't really set stops, only ISO and Shutter speed.  I did another flight right as it was getting dark last night just to play with the manual settings a bit, and w/o having an adjustable aperture there was no way to keep ISO at base setting (100) and still get a good exposure.

I've been using Davinci Resolve lately, great speed-ramp tools (which I did use near the start of this vid)... maybe I'll have to spring for the $tudio version to unlock Temporal Noise reduction.
2020-5-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nicely done
2020-5-4
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 5-4 02:19
Thanks for the tips... the "graph" is called a Histogram... the MM does have a fixed aperture, so I can't really set stops, only ISO and Shutter speed.  I did another flight right as it was getting dark last night just to play with the manual settings a bit, and w/o having an adjustable aperture there was no way to keep ISO at base setting (100) and still get a good exposure.

I've been using Davinci Resolve lately, great speed-ramp tools (which I did use near the start of this vid)... maybe I'll have to spring for the $tudio version to unlock Temporal Noise reduction.

I meant the shutter speed 1 or 2 stops faster. You want to underexpose a little to bring out the drama.
2020-5-4
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 5-4 05:45
Very nicely done

Thank you!!! And thanks for watching!!
2020-5-4
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Tentoes Posted at 5-4 06:13
I meant the shutter speed 1 or 2 stops faster. You want to underexpose a little to bring out the drama.

Ahhh. Gotchya...  OK I'll give that a shot next time around.
2020-5-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MontaukDrone Posted at 5-4 02:02
Thanks guys! and thanks for watching!!

You're very welcome.
2020-5-5
Use props