Rear left motor rusted
3287 11 2020-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

While yall get your motor errors. I am getting my left rear seized and I see bits of brown rust around the spindle. Literally just flew over a soccer field for fun before all this covid lockdown then put it in the combo case and stored it away in my cabinet. Today I took it out for fw update and bam left rear motor feels hard to turn... WTF...

UPDATE: The motor showed no abnormality in operation other than the extra resistance felt when hand turning. DJI honored the repair under warranty. Thanks. Don't think my cabinet was humid but just for safety a bag of desiccator forever stays in the combo case now.
2020-5-4
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Time for a ticket I guess.
2020-5-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

That's why m80 regardless of DJI recommendations lubricated the spindles before installing the motor caps. Not only that... I plan a 100 hours maintenance by inspecting the propellers and re-lubricating the spindles every 100 hours. I am not sure how much should I set for the props interval change.
2020-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s becoming more clear why that guy above lost his first drone
2020-5-5
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

That's what he said... the one banned from this forum for... (his own admission): straight talking.

You have lost your mind... I can lose my drone, 'tard.
2020-5-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

m80116 Posted at 5-5 12:18
That's why m80 regardless of DJI recommendations lubricated the spindles before installing the motor caps. Not only that... I plan a 100 hours maintenance by inspecting the propellers and re-lubricating the spindles every 100 hours. I am not sure how much should I set for the props interval change.

That's a good idea, but don't forget to put a little mayonaisse in the gyroscope too.
2020-5-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-5 16:42
That's a good idea, but don't forget to put a little mayonaisse in the gyroscope too.

No!!! Please hold the mayo.

2020-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 5-5 17:47
No!!! Please hold the mayo.

[view_image]

That might be a bit big for the Mini, I could see uncontrolled  descent coming back carrying that load....
2020-5-6
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

Err... you may want to excuse me, I am going to go lubricate the spindles in my Mavic Mini now.

After this I am thinking of going to verify Trump's weird cure for the Coronavirus: UV rays and disinfectant injections, oh yeah

2020-5-6
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

m80116 Posted at 5-6 11:13
Err... you may want to excuse me, I am going to go lubricate the spindles in my Mavic Mini now.

[view_image]

Actually thick lube can bring more resistance. You wanna just stick to the bearing lube within the factory bearings. I have told you to gap at the base can introduce dirt and make your lube a sanding paste destroying your motor over time. I have nothing against motor cap since someone showed it does not raise the temperature in flight on youtube, but adding lube is a nono... The best way against rust is a bag of desiccator in the case.
2020-5-7
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Australia

Vlas Posted at 5-5 00:34
Time for a ticket I guess.

DJI got to me pretty quickly. They will cover the repair under warranty thankfully. I wasn't hopeful they would as I know it is common for electronics to be out of cover in case of rust or corrosion.  Totally ready to fork out some dollars but that was very nice of them especially in this pandemic.
2020-5-7
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guorium Posted at 5-7 01:42
DJI got to me pretty quickly. They will cover the repair under warranty thankfully. I wasn't hopeful they would as I know it is common for electronics to be out of cover in case of rust or corrosion.  Totally ready to fork out some dollars but that was very nice of them especially in this pandemic.

Best of luck on the resolution.
2020-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules