Image freezes in flight, crash and have to reboot
10516 27 2020-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans12d4e079
lvl.2
United States

This has happened on 4 different units. 3 air units and a Caddx Vista. All drones are professionally built with capacitors on esc board and even and extra one on the battery lead. All have been doing this on the last 3 different firmware versions. This does not happen after high thrust/current punches or power loops. Sometimes it happens after a maneuver like a roll but definitely not a high G or high current draw. I have the fastest sd card that DJI recommends and even tried not flying with a card in the unit. One unit wires are even direct soldered to the flight controller that is designed for the air unit that way I eliminated the issue of a bad plug and it still locks up and blacks out until I crash and reboot the drone. I have 5 high end high dollar drones with DJI fpv electronics and that’s all I fly now and now I’m too scared to fly any of them. I had to resort to assigning a switch on the TX to do Horizon mode just so I can blindly land when this happens. I have thousands of dollars in these systems and now I can’t trust it at all. Last crash ruined a motor and burnt up a Iflight aio fc made for the DJI air unit. This crash cost me $80 so now I’m not happy at all.

I’m sure it’s a firmware issue.

DJI PLEZ HELP!?!
2020-5-13
Use props
BambiFPV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20315 ft
United Kingdom

Hey, so I get the same problem!!!, I know this is not ideal but I have found some fixes that have minimised the issue.
Goggles freeze unit stop recording, are you having same issue?
I found for me it happened on jerky high speed movements,
but I also went back on the dpi assistant and downgraded the firmware on goggles and air unit and it has minimised the issue?
Have you connected air unit power to ESC or FC also, where on the board have you connected the air units power?  (Vbat, directly to battery etc?)

2020-5-13
Use props
fans12d4e079
lvl.2
United States

BambiFPV Posted at 5-13 18:13
Hey, so I get the same problem!!!, I know this is not ideal but I have found some fixes that have minimised the issue.

I have 5 diff systems and so far the problem ones are plug in to DJI direct connect fc like the iflight ones. I have one on a voltage regulator and it hasn’t frozen but I don’t fly it much at all. This tends to happen about every 10-15 flights or so. Mine freeze in air unit then recording stops on unit and goggles. What firmware number are u on now?
2020-5-13
Use props
fans12d4e079
lvl.2
United States

BambiFPV Posted at 5-13 18:13

Mine tend to freeze on such slight movements like medium speed rolls or even a banking dive. Used to be on high G flips and rolls but after I added an extra 1000mf cap to batt lead it helped with high current moves and still does on medium speed moves
2020-5-13
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

It's a known issue. If you scroll down the index, you'll find tons of posts about this. There are issues when absorption is too high.
Just remove the SD card from the unit until next firmware is released. I flew a bunch of lipos last weekend without any issues with last FW.
2020-5-13
Use props
arnasnngmail.com
lvl.3

Lithuania

It might be that firmware would not be able to fix it...

What voltage regulators do you use for dji air unit (and 6s) ? Maybe we should just buy and use them ? They will provide enough power and way cleaner power ? That might be all the problem ?
2020-5-14
Use props
Giammi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

arnasnngmail.com Posted at 5-14 00:16

What voltage regulators do you use for dji air unit (and 6s) ? Maybe we should just buy and use them ? They will provide enough power and way cleaner power ? That might be all the problem ?

It's a firmware issue. If you downgrade a couple of versions, you'll see that it is not happening.
2020-5-14
Use props
lvl.2
United States

Giammi Posted at 5-13 22:29
It's a known issue. If you scroll down the index, you'll find tons of posts about this. There are issues when absorption is too high.
Just remove the SD card from the unit until next firmware is released. I flew a bunch of lipos last weekend without any issues with last FW.

It’s not just the dvr write issue because I took out the sd card to prevent this and it also happens on a caddx vista which doesn’t even have a dvr
2020-5-14
Use props
lvl.2
United States

arnasnngmail.com Posted at 5-14 00:16

I think you’re right I think this is the best solution the only quad I have that has never blacked out is one on a voltage regulator so last night I bought more of them to put on the problem quads it’s just super annoying when you buy a flight controller that has a plug made for the DJI system and it’s possible that it’s failing on the voltage output and blacking out and crashing
2020-5-14
Use props
lvl.2
United States

Giammi Posted at 5-14 00:24
It's a firmware issue. If you downgrade a couple of versions, you'll see that it is not happening.

Do you know what firmware version still has beta flight OSD pass through but might work with fixing the blackout problem
2020-5-14
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I posted this in another thread but will post it again here . Was given advice to make sure it was on latest FW so I did that and now have lost my drone . I have tried every fix thrown out there on the forums since Feburary with no luck .

I've been having this issue from day one of flying the DJI Air unit in a Rocket Plus . I asked here on the forum and tried everything but video still stops during flight . Tried latest FW and turning auto record off and flew 3 packs but lost the drone on the 3rd pack so don't know if the video still froze during flight since I didn't get the drone back this time .  Yesterday was the first time I had noticed the SLOW SD warning though .

700 feet away and lost all video . I've flown the route several times with no problem . Crossfire Nano rx so never worry about radio link . I never expected the video to just go to the DJI logo all of a sudden . It's probably stuck in the low hanging limb but dang if we could spot it . Carried goggles down there but video never tried to come back . $450 lying somewhere , thanks DJI

2020-5-15
Use props
lvl.2
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 5-15 10:32
I posted this in another thread but will post it again here . Was given advice to make sure it was on latest FW so I did that and now have lost my drone . I have tried every fix thrown out there on the forums since Feburary with no luck .

I've been having this issue from day one of flying the DJI Air unit in a Rocket Plus . I asked here on the forum and tried everything but video still stops during flight . Tried latest FW and turning auto record off and flew 3 packs but lost the drone on the 3rd pack so don't know if the video still froze during flight since I didn't get the drone back this time .  Yesterday was the first time I had noticed the SLOW SD warning though .

That’s exactly what happens to me. I’ve narrowed it down to a power issue so I’m trying to use power regulators instead of flight controllers to supply the power. Iflight makes a good one that u can wire to lipo direct and regulates down to what air unit needs. I have 5 of the air units and the only one that doesn’t freeze is the one I built with a voltage regulator. It’s pretty bad when factory built drones with DJI equipment can’t hold up but my amateur build does great. I think the issue is the air unit cant take 6S voltage so the fc companies like Iflight make a fc with a regulator built in but it can’t keep consistent good clean power so DJI needs to make the air unit direct lipo connect and 3-6S so we don’t have to monkey around with all these issues.
2020-5-15
Use props
djiuser_LwoMDCevqGJB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 304177 ft
United States

fans12d4e079 Posted at 2020-5-13 18:30
I have 5 diff systems and so far the problem ones are plug in to DJI direct connect fc like the iflight ones. I have one on a voltage regulator and it hasn’t frozen but I don’t fly it much at all. This tends to happen about every 10-15 flights or so. Mine freeze in air unit then recording stops on unit and goggles. What firmware number are u on now?

So hopefully someone has an answer. I know this is an old thread but im now having same issue with all three of my quads. I have no clue what to do!! It does it on vista and air unit. Screen freezes and quad falls out of the sky. Just like everyone else it doesn't do it all the time and only in doing a flip. Im running all latest firmware. Please help if anyone has found a solution
2021-8-11
Use props
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_LwoMDCevqGJB Posted at 8-11 06:54
So hopefully someone has an answer. I know this is an old thread but im now having same issue with all three of my quads. I have no clue what to do!! It does it on vista and air unit. Screen freezes and quad falls out of the sky. Just like everyone else it doesn't do it all the time and only in doing a flip. Im running all latest firmware. Please help if anyone has found a solution

Make sure you have a large capacitor on it like a 1000 and I prefer to use a Matek power regulator instead of any kind of power through a fly controller or PDB that way you’re getting your power straight from the battery through the Power regulator to the air unit and also make sure all your wiring is tight especially the plug into the DJI air unit mine was coming loose during high G maneuvers
2021-8-11
Use props
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_LwoMDCevqGJB Posted at 8-11 06:54
So hopefully someone has an answer. I know this is an old thread but im now having same issue with all three of my quads. I have no clue what to do!! It does it on vista and air unit. Screen freezes and quad falls out of the sky. Just like everyone else it doesn't do it all the time and only in doing a flip. Im running all latest firmware. Please help if anyone has found a solution

I was the one that started this topic and no one helped me at all I finally figured it all out based on my connections and power supply to the air unit had to be good solid connections and good steady power now I have no issues at all on any of my drones main problem I had was a faulty DJI plug so I replaced it and now it’s fine. But on the other ones that are not a full air unit like the Caddx I just made sure all my wiring was nice and had a large capacitor I even put one at the battery and at the four and 1ESC lead input. I usually put something small down at the board like a 500 and then 1000 right at the XT 60

Let me know what you figure out or any questions that I might be able to help you further
2021-8-11
Use props
djiuser_LwoMDCevqGJB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 304177 ft
United States

@twitchfpv Posted at 8-11 10:46
I was the one that started this topic and no one helped me at all I finally figured it all out based on my connections and power supply to the air unit had to be good solid connections and good steady power now I have no issues at all on any of my drones main problem I had was a faulty DJI plug so I replaced it and now it’s fine. But on the other ones that are not a full air unit like the Caddx I just made sure all my wiring was nice and had a large capacitor I even put one at the battery and at the four and 1ESC lead input. I usually put something small down at the board like a 500 and then 1000 right at the XT 60

Let me know what you figure out or any questions that I might be able to help you further

Hey thanks for the help. Ive wired my vista directly to vbat and added a fettec spike absorber with a capacitor and a huge capacitor at the xt60 and still having problems every now and then. I think im gonna try and just break everything back down and just rebuild/rewire everything over. Its sooooo damn frustrating because for a year straight i was having alot of fun and now i cant trust my stuff
2021-9-18
Use props
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_LwoMDCevqGJB Posted at 9-18 01:17
Hey thanks for the help. Ive wired my vista directly to vbat and added a fettec spike absorber with a capacitor and a huge capacitor at the xt60 and still having problems every now and then. I think im gonna try and just break everything back down and just rebuild/rewire everything over. Its sooooo damn frustrating because for a year straight i was having alot of fun and now i cant trust my stuff

PM me and tell me ur cell or email and I’ll help u. I’m willing cuz no one helped me and I hate that. U can ask direct questions and send me pics of build and power supply for vista etc
2021-9-18
Use props
djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah
lvl.1

United States

fans12d4e079 Posted at 2020-5-13 18:33
Mine tend to freeze on such slight movements like medium speed rolls or even a banking dive. Used to be on high G flips and rolls but after I added an extra 1000mf cap to batt lead it helped with high current moves and still does on medium speed moves

DJI V2 goggles I have Caddx Vista 6S picture freezes during flight.
I want to be clear the picture freezes it is a frozen image during flight it used to happen most of the time on a high G maneuver right after the maneuver but not all the time and it was intermittent it might happen every 10 to 15 flights. I installed the Fetteck spike absorber with a 1000 UF capacitor. Now it will freeze cruising down the street intermittently I cannot reproduce it on call. It just happens when it happens.
I have tried using an SD card in my goggles I have tried no SD card and it just happened again the other day.

I just rebuilt my quad copter I originally had the Tmotor 20 x 20 F7 HD DJI flight controller. I ordered the Aikon F7HD flight controller version 3.
I installed the vet tech spike absorber and the 1000 UF capacitor.
I am still getting the same problem. Does anyone no what’s wrong besides DJI being defective?

If DJ continues to ignore us as a community about these issues what do we do ?
2021-10-14
Use props
djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah Posted at 10-14 08:07
DJI V2 goggles I have Caddx Vista 6S picture freezes during flight.
I want to be clear the picture freezes it is a frozen image during flight it used to happen most of the time on a high G maneuver right after the maneuver but not all the time and it was intermittent it might happen every 10 to 15 flights. I installed the Fetteck spike absorber with a 1000 UF capacitor. Now it will freeze cruising down the street intermittently I cannot reproduce it on call. It just happens when it happens.
I have tried using an SD card in my goggles I have tried no SD card and it just happened again the other day.

As you can see I’m having pretty much the same issue does your video freeze like your picture the image it actually freezes?
2021-10-14
Use props
djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah Posted at 10-14 08:12
As you can see I’m having pretty much the same issue does your video freeze like your picture the image it actually freezes?

I’d also like to point out that this problem has nothing to do with your connection or plug from the flight controller to the Vista or air unit. The reason I say this is because I bought a brand new Vista and Nebula pro and I installed it with the new Akon F7 HD flight controller FETTECK SPIKE ABSORBER 1000 uF cap.
I still had the same problem they were brand new plugs with the Vista unit. I have also tried shouldering directly to the flight controller and I’ve also tried from the ESC pads directly.
I still had the problem
2021-10-14
Use props
lvl.2
United States

One time I was so desperate to isolate a video power problem that I actually powered the air unit with a smaller lipo and strapped it onto the quad so the quad had its own battery and the air unit had its own battery so you could try and do that and then you are completely isolating all power between the battery and the air unit. On your current build are you powering the air unit straight from the battery pads to a regulator to the unit? I never ever go through a flight controller board for power I always wire directly to the battery pads but make sure you have a power regulator so you don’t burn up the air unit if you’re running a 6S battery

2021-10-14
Use props
fans6d139cfa
lvl.2
Australia

@twitchfpv Posted at 8-11 10:42
Make sure you have a large capacitor on it like a 1000 and I prefer to use a Matek power regulator instead of any kind of power through a fly controller or PDB that way you’re getting your power straight from the battery through the Power regulator to the air unit and also make sure all your wiring is tight especially the plug into the DJI air unit mine was coming loose during high G maneuvers

which Matek regulator did you use? (e.g. I see there is a "Matek 4S Lipo to 12V Linear Voltage Regulator LDO12" in my local shop).

Just had my first experience arming and taking off from hill top, and as I took off video was frozen....weird experience and I think it had probable crashed before I managed to try hitting my "return to home" switch for the BetaFlight GPS RTH....   .

Running with DJI Goggles v2 and Caddx VISTA.

PS.  No firmware updates on Goggles or VISTA that confirm the issue and find a fix?
2021-12-3
Use props
lvl.2
United States

fans6d139cfa Posted at 12-3 02:41
which Matek regulator did you use? (e.g. I see there is a "Matek 4S Lipo to 12V Linear Voltage Regulator LDO12" in my local shop).

Just had my first experience arming and taking off from hill top, and as I took off video was frozen....weird experience and I think it had probable crashed before I managed to try hitting my "return to home" switch for the BetaFlight GPS RTH....   .

https://pyrodrone.com/products/matek-micro-bec-6-30v-to-5v-9v-adj

That happened to me one time when I took off the instant I armed so now I wait a second or two
2021-12-3
Use props
djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah Posted at 2021-10-14 08:12

I’m sorry it took me sooo long to respond. I. Been chilling out with the quads because of this freezing.
2022-6-9
Use props
djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_LwoMDCevqGJB Posted at 2021-9-18 01:17

I tried that myself I ordered a new flight controller and Akon 20 x 20 I ordered the Fetteck spike absorber with a 1000 UF capacitor and I rewired and checked everything I still get the problem occasionally. Anyone who has any suggestions I would be so appreciative I kind of just put it away and gave up for a while like almost a year.
2022-6-9
Use props
djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah Posted at 2021-10-14 08:33
I’d also like to point out that this problem has nothing to do with your connection or plug from the flight controller to the Vista or air unit. The reason I say this is because I bought a brand new Vista and Nebula pro and I installed it with the new Akon F7 HD flight controller FETTECK SPIKE ABSORBER 1000 uF cap.
I still had the same problem they were brand new plugs with the Vista unit. I have also tried shouldering directly to the flight controller and I’ve also tried from the ESC pads directly.
I still had the problem

I tried directly from the battery I changed my controllers I added the 1000 UF capacitor and a fat techs bike absorber. My next option is putting a capacitor directly on the vista or should I use a power regulator I have an eye flight one for the job specifically????
2022-6-9
Use props
djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_gupWMMFkVyah Posted at 2021-10-14 08:33
I still had the problem

I tried directly from the battery I changed my controllers I added the 1000 UF capacitor and a fat techs bike absorber. My next option is putting a capacitor directly on the vista or should I use a power regulator I have an eye flight one for the job specifically????
2022-6-9
Use props
djiuser_5XYlHQvtTr3L
New

United States

Would this Diatone Mamba Micro work for rerouting power from my AIO flight controller directly to my battery?  Right now I have a 470uF cap so I'm probably going to get a slightly bigger one as well and solder both of these directly to my xt30. I have the babyhawk 2 so its very light at around 230g but I've been having an issue where after a pack or two or even randomly, my video will freeze and then only the caddx vista will restart, but I still have control.  It seems to always happen around 7 minutes into my pack or when I'm at the last bit and never during intense acrobatics. I've had it happen multiple times now where I'm just gently coasting and then the screen will freeze up. I'm guessing I'm getting a voltage spike and since its being regulated through the AIO, maybe it just can't handle it the low battery and restarts the vista. My guess at-least, but this is okay to do use and wont kill my vista right? Its made for DJI so I cant imagine that it wouldn't but I guess I'm looking for a bit of confirmation.
2022-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules