Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Don't trust the new Active Track (...too much)
2058 39 2020-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235768 ft
Germany

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know to be careful when using Active Track. Even in Version 3 there seem to be some major flaws as you can see in the following video.

In case an experts watches this: Can you explain how this could have happened? From a human perspective this seems to be an object that could have been avoided very easily. As you can see the tree was directly facing the sensor.

2020-5-17
Use props
Almerrr
lvl.1
Netherlands

Where you in sport or normal mode? I think the sensors are disabled in sport mode.
2020-5-17
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

Good Point. I can't say for sure if I was in sport.  

But afaik the drone goes back to normal mode when using active track and the drone also seems to slow down a bit before crashing.  So I assume the tree was detected just too late.

Source: https://store.dji.com/de/guides/ ... lmen-wie-ein-profi/

Translated:

Speed of the drone

Keep in mind that ActiveTrack only works in P mode, which is significantly slower than S mode (sport mode). For example, the Mavic Pro can reach 64 km / h in S mode, but is limited to 35 km / h in P mode. Make sure the subject you want to keep up with moves within drone speed in P mode.
2020-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looking at your video, it looks like first you were tracking to far back, you then went under the tree completely in shadow and the Air lost you. Not to sure what speed you were traveling at but drone seemed to be moving pretty quickly, and looks like OA was either not turned on or craft was going to fast.

M2P can reach higher speeds in Active Track with OA turned off almost same as sport mode. I’m not certain how fast Air2 can travel.

Look at your video again your Jeep almost completely disappears in the shadow under the tree, I think this caused your problem.
2020-5-17
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 10:21
Looking at your video, it looks like first you were tracking to far back, you then went under the tree completely in shadow and the Air lost you. Not to sure what speed you were traveling at but drone seemed to be moving pretty quickly, and looks like OA was either not turned on or craft was going to fast.

M2P can reach higher speeds in Active Track with OA turned off almost same as sport mode. I’m not certain how fast Air2 can travel.

Hi,

obstacle avoidance was definitely turned on. I also have the theory the drone lost me in the shadow. this however shouldn't disable the obstacle avoidance?
2020-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-17 10:24
Hi,

obstacle avoidance was definitely turned on. I also have the theory the drone lost me in the shadow. this however shouldn't disable the obstacle avoidance?

Unless it was in sport mode, AT works in sport mode with M2 not sure haven’t tested Air2 .
2020-5-17
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

Oh wow I didn't know that!
Is there any way to get this info from logs?

I'd really like to know whether this was me or the machine.

EDIT: I checked the logs and it turns out the drone maxed out at 18 mph without getting  any faster. This equals to about 8 m/s which is the maximum speed in normal mode. So I guess this was not the issue here.

I also think the drone slowed down right before crashing. Maybe the object got detected but too late.

2020-5-17
Use props
Vlas
Captain
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the heads up.
2020-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-17 10:41
Oh wow I didn't know that!
Is there any way to get this info from logs?

It sounds like that, but still need to be careful .
2020-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Video has gone?
2020-5-18
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

Hi, I fixed it.
2020-5-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. We're sorry to hear about your experience. Obstacle sensing is disabled in Sport Mode. Please fly carefully. You can check your LOG to see whether you are in Sport Mode. For flight safety, we recommend sending in your drone for further diagnosis. Please feel free to contact us if you need help. Thanks for your support and understanding.
2020-5-18
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-18 06:01
Hi, there. We're sorry to hear about your experience. Obstacle sensing is disabled in Sport Mode. Please fly carefully. You can check your LOG to see whether you are in Sport Mode. For flight safety, we recommend sending in your drone for further diagnosis. Please feel free to contact us if you need help. Thanks for your support and understanding.
[view_image]

Hi, thanks for your answer. I already checked the manual and realised it myself.

How exactly can I check the currently activated mode in the log file? I have the files right here but can't extract this information.
(I'm pretty sure it was not in sport but if I could prove it with the log it would be great.)
I already exported the log to CSV, but still can't find the info there...maybe it's encoded somewhere?

Another edit: I actually can see the selected mode in the logs of the Mavic Mini but not in the logs of the Air 2. Maybe it was forgotten to be included?

But again: Since the drone maxed out at 8 m/s although it was quite far behind of the tracking object, strongly makes me believe that the drone  was in fact in 'normal' or P mode. Additionally I feel like the drone actually slowed down considerably, but it was just way too late as you can see in the video.
2020-5-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hope the drone is ok
2020-5-18
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

Yes the drone was fine, thank you ... but now I completely lost trust in the technology which actually was the reason why I upgraded from the Mini.

I still hope to find a reasonable explanation for the crash

Maybe it is possible to obtain further metrics like sensor data or RC data in addition to the flight logs?
2020-5-18
Use props
Stoney.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1439265 ft
United States

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-18 13:10
Yes the drone was fine, thank you  ... but now I completely lost trust in the technology which actually was the reason why I upgraded from the Mini.

I still hope to find a reasonable explanation for the crash

You can find the mode you were in at the top left part of the flight log screen. P mode is positioning or normal mode and s is sport mode.
2020-5-18
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

Hi,

thanks. But this is not the case with the air 2.
My Logs of the Mini have this data though.
7A785304-20B2-4B7D-8177-3315A5CA80E8.jpeg
2020-5-18
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

I just noticed this message while using the app.
This translates to Something „Target to fast. Use Sport mode to increase speed. OA won’t work in Sport mode.“

So this confirms the Mini lost me and Sport Mode was in fact not enabled.
But why did the Mavic continue flying straight forward after losing me? And why did OA not work properly?
5F6B54B7-C1C9-4F49-86EA-29F4D94F60D1.jpeg
2020-5-18
Use props
Delta Nine
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Looks like it was going too fast to detect obstacles until too late, but it nearly pulled up in time. Can you limit the speed in AT ?
2020-5-18
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

Exactly what I think right now.
However this doesn’t explain why the drone kept flying straight forward after losing the target.
2020-5-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-18 06:06
Hi, thanks for your answer. I already checked the manual and realised it myself.

How exactly can I check the currently activated mode in the log file? I have the files right here but can't extract this information.

Hi, there. I understand how you feel. That must have been frustrating for you. Please send your drone in for a diagnosis. You can apply for data analysis by choosing 'product issue' on the page of online repair. We will provide a corresponding resolution based on the data analysis result. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank for your support.
Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2020-5-18
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

I will do and keep you updated! Hopefully some useful information can be gathered to improve the software OR my flying capabilities depending on the result!
2020-5-18
Use props
Delta Nine
Second Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-18 21:56
Exactly what I think right now.
However this doesn’t explain why the drone kept flying straight forward after losing the target.

When the video starts the car is already well ahead of the MA2,

Did you start the AT with that much distance between car and drone ? Or did the car pull away from the drone before the video started ? If not why was the MA2 so far behind ?
2020-5-19
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

No, I started when the drone was 2 meters in front of me but it seemed that it couldn't catch up.

@DJI: I just got a response from the Support team which is pretty useless:

I am very sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DJI product. After checking all given information, I regret to say, that I cannot suggest any further trouble shooting steps.
The cause of the issue with your device is most likely a hardware defect.

Is there really nothing you can do ?
2020-5-19
Use props
NightWolf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 398560 ft
Italy

If it is a hardware fault, would it be covered by warranty?
2020-5-19
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

NightWolf Posted at 5-19 01:57
If it is a hardware fault, would it be covered by warranty?

I don't know, I think it's an autogenerated e-mail.
Also I'm not looking for replacement, I'm looking for someone to check what happened there.
2020-5-19
Use props
dronespilot
Captain
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m glad your drone is fine. I think it would be good in an open area or high up tracking the subject. I don’t use active track often but definitely I won’t trust the MA2 active track as much as I do with M2P.
2020-5-19
Use props
him7403
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-18 13:42
I just noticed this message while using the app.
This translates to Something „Target to fast. Use Sport mode to increase speed. OA won’t work in Sport mode.“

I think it just can't detect obstacles in higher speed.
2020-5-19
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

Yes I think it was to fast as well. Would be nice to have it confirmed though.
2020-5-20
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-18 06:06

Hi, in an earlier post in your thread, you mentioned that it maxed out at 18mph, rather than 8mph.  Any chance of sharing the log, would be interesting.   All the best.

Matt
Sorry, just re-read, confusing mph and m/s!!
2020-5-20
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

dronespilot Posted at 5-19 04:14
I’m glad your drone is fine. I think it would be good in an open area or high up tracking the subject. I don’t use active track often but definitely I won’t trust the MA2 active track as much as I do with M2P.

every single review I watched is saying the AT 3.0 on the MA2 is clearly superior to AT 2.0 on the M2P
2020-5-20
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

Hi,

i just uploaded the flight log here:
https://www.file-upload.net/download-14089224/map.xlsx.html

I took the report and put it in an excel file. It contains the end of the active track session. The crash happened right at the end, before you can see P-GPS and Joystick Controls.
Due to privacy reasons i excluded the GPS info. If someone wants to look into the full file please let me know and I can provide you a full link to the logs on phantomhelp.com.
2020-5-20
Use props
dronespilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 5-20 02:00
every single review I watched is saying the AT 3.0 on the MA2 is clearly superior to AT 2.0 on the M2P

Could be. I don't use it often, but I think having more OA sensors is a key. Skydio is a great example.
2020-5-20
Use props
Renato61
First Officer
Flight distance : 168163 ft
Italy

Active track was activated, for this I will not buy  MA2
2020-5-20
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

dronespilot Posted at 5-20 09:16
I agree. The point here is the obstacle avoidance and I think have more OA sensors is a key. Skydio is a great example.

In my case more sensors wouldn’t have helped though.
2020-5-20
Use props
dronespilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U Posted at 5-20 10:17
In my case more sensors wouldn’t have helped though.

Yes, I saw that. That was not normal. I feel your pain.
2020-5-20
Use props
Ice_2k
Captain
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

dronespilot Posted at 5-20 09:16
Could be. I don't use it often, but I think having more OA sensors is a key. Skydio is a great example.

More sensors is clearly better, IF the software can take advantage of them. In this case, the 2 years of extra development time clearly out-weigh the extra physical sensors.
2020-5-20
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

To me it looks like the drone was closing on the car fast (trying to catch up). Might just be a bug in the system or a defective sensor. Was there a tailwind?

After watching this video, I think I will test mine to see if it actually senses object ahead.

2020-5-20
Use props
dronespilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 5-20 13:45
More sensors is clearly better, IF the software can take advantage of them. In this case, the 2 years of extra development time clearly out-weigh the extra physical sensors.

2020-5-21
Use props
djiuser_ZutghNDTLB2U
lvl.4
Germany

GaryDoug Posted at 5-20 20:04
To me it looks like the drone was closing on the car fast (trying to catch up). Might just be a bug in the system or a defective sensor. Was there a tailwind?

After watching this video, I think I will test mine to see if it actually senses object ahead.

Hey,

the sensors definitely worked at least the day before, as I was walking in a forest and the drone was following me without any problems. However this was with APAS on + OA on. On the day the crash happened was no wind at all and APAS was Off but OA on. (At least at the altitude where it crashed)

I feel like this may be a combination of a software bug and / or to high speed of the drone, so the obstacle was not detected in time.
2020-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules