1043 9 2020-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

Hi guys,

Flying with the Air2 first time today.
Flying in normal mode in direction of sun light was giving me a lot of strange acting of the drone. Reduced speed, won't reduce altitude although left stick down, acting weird and wiggling in the air, abrupt stops when flying forward. After disabling APAS everything went smooth.
Flight was in 10-15m height, normal mode, 50m from controller

Environment conditions:
Windy up to 6m/s from West like the sun, 6:45 pm sun pretty much down, sunny, without clouds, 14°C.

Also another test more up in the air, about 30m high. Circle in 10 diameter. When
2020-5-19
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

Sorry, can't edit my first post.

When I flew a circle of 100m diameter and I turned into West direction into the sun the speed dropped from 11m/s down to 1,5m/s and it slowly gained speed from there. So the flight performance wasn't smooth overall. Also in normal mode. Haven't done this second test without APAS though.

Edit: controller was not beeping during strange acting
2020-5-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

No surprise that the MA2 has the same issue with sunlight
affecting the obstacles avoiding system. yes this is a know problem.
Although the original MP or MP2 don't drop in height they usually stop.
2020-5-19
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

Thanks Woe. I might wrote it falsely. It wouldn't drop in height, although I wanted it to drop. Left stick down and right stick up (decrease height and throttle straight ahead) resulted it very slow flying and no drop in height
2020-5-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

iceman#1 Posted at 5-19 11:22
Thanks Woe. I might wrote it falsely. It wouldn't drop in height, although I wanted it to drop. Left stick down and right stick up (decrease height and throttle straight ahead) resulted it very slow flying and no drop in height

No problem. slow flying or stopping is normal.
2020-5-19
Use props
Hotrod in Daytona
lvl.3
United States

Woe Posted at 5-19 12:09
No problem. slow flying or stopping is normal.

Sounds like me driving into the sun in the morning traffic.  I have to slowdown so I can see.  the sun is really bright in FL
2020-5-19
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

The original Air had issues for me in Mexican high noon, to the point where i just ended up turning off all vision features as they were affecting usability.
Also had similar but less pronounced issues back home (Adriatic) in summer.
Since i don't fly around foliage or use active track, i ended up just keeping APAS and collision avoidance off after that.

Not surprised it's causing issues when in bright light, because not only will direct sunlight cause flares and other problems that will completely fritz out the machine vision, but it will cause much more pronounced shadows and washed out highlights too. This can trip up machine vision algorithms easily just as well as direct sunlight would.

If you've ever driven a car with driver assist features under an overpass in extremely brightly lit, summer sun conditions, you'll know what i'm talking about.
2020-5-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hotrod in Daytona Posted at 5-19 15:09
Sounds like me driving into the sun in the morning traffic.  I have to slowdown so I can see.  the sun is really bright in FL

Lucky fellow
2020-5-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, iceman#1. The APAS 3.0 feature is available in Normal mode. It's disabled when using Intelligent Flight modes. Please be extra cautious when flying in extremely dark (<300 lux) or bright (>10,000 lux) environments. Please refer to the User Manual for more information. Please feel free to contact us if you need help.  Thanks for your support. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200519/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.0_en_.pdf

2020-5-19
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

Thanks everyone for getting back to me.
Here is good video to see that the APAS 3.0 is not working in sunlight. Check from 5:50min
https://youtu.be/31z0CWFJt54
2020-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules