Looking Higher
737 10 2020-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

I've had this thought in the back of my mind since I started looking at and then flying my Mini. The question is can someone apply for a license if they don't already have a heavier drone that requires one? Don't take this the wrong way I Love my Mini and it has done everything I've enjoyed doing and more to come, also in these times of this Pandemic (limited air space for some) I do remember on the web site it asking for a serial #. I do recall seeing comments about studying for the online exam.
Be gentle, it's a thought if the opportunity ever arose. I like the size of the Mini but , in higher winds it's achilles heel I want it to come home to daddy. I realize low altiitude flying is the answer. Portablity and ease is number one along with simplicity and the spontaneous ability to launching a fllight! Is that to much
2020-5-20
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Here you can apply for a license by even not having a drone, it's just an online test at the moment, although it's still a serious exam requiring studying.

I am all for spontability (spontaneous ability)
2020-5-20
Use props
Vlas
First Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the USA you can.
2020-5-20
Use props
The USS Sprite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31427 ft
United States

Hello - in the US, the FAA registers the drone operator, not the drone.  In other words, you get a registration number that works across every drone you have.  The requirement is that this number must be on any drone that is over half a pound.  The Mini in base configuration would not require your registration number, but if you attach any doodads to it you'd almost certainly go over that half pound limit.
2020-5-20
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the U.S., you can take the test even if you don’t own a drone.
2020-5-20
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

The USS Sprite Posted at 5-20 16:11
Hello - in the US, the FAA registers the drone operator, not the drone.  In other words, you get a registration number that works across every drone you have.  The requirement is that this number must be on any drone that is over half a pound.  The Mini in base configuration would not require your registration number, but if you attach any doodads to it you'd almost certainly go over that half pound limit.

For recreational flying in the USA this is true but drones flown under Part 107 have to registered individually every three years and they all have their own registration number.

Excerpt from FAA website.

Registration
Anyone flying under Part 107 has to register each drone they intend to operate. If your drone weighs less than 55 lbs., you can use the automated registration system.
Pilot Certification
To operate the controls of a small UAS under Part 107, you need a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating, or be under the direct supervision of a person who holds such a certificate

Reference: [url= https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=22615]FAA.GOV [/url]
2020-5-20
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

Thank everyone and those who comment later. So lets see if I got it from my read on their site also what BobW posted under part 107 all drones between .55 lbs. to 55lbs.  need a registration # for the craft and all drone pilots need a certification to fly any future drone or one they have. So like USS Sprite was saying signing up and taking certification excam. you are registered with the FAA and the certification always needs to be with pilot. and all drones are issued a registration # online and the ID numbering(call sign). needs to be attached in a manner suggested by FAA.
2020-5-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you can in the USA. I have done that because of the added weigh to my Mini....just to be safe legally. It is cheap.

Why do you think you need type 107? Are you planning to be commercial?

There are two types of registrations, recreational and Type/Part 107. The requirements for recreational are minimal.

2020-5-20
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

I only have plans to fly recreationally for my pleasure and to share with those who wish to enjoy. But if I ever did go up in weight class I wanted to be ready.
2020-5-20
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

The USS Sprite Posted at 5-20 16:11
Hello - in the US, the FAA registers the drone operator, not the drone.  In other words, you get a registration number that works across every drone you have.  The requirement is that this number must be on any drone that is over half a pound.  The Mini in base configuration would not require your registration number, but if you attach any doodads to it you'd almost certainly go over that half pound limit.

USS Sprit yes I have found out and very clear that you can register and receive a registration number that can be put on any recreational use drone over 250 grams following their guide lines and you can also attach your registered pilot number to any drone your piloting including the Mini which some are getting a little over weight with the extra bling being added.
This could be a good thing or bad if recovered on private property and get you investment returned.
2020-5-21
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-20 20:17
Yes, you can in the USA. I have done that because of the added weigh to my Mini....just to be safe legally. It is cheap.

Why do you think you need type 107? Are you planning to be commercial?

GaryDoug I ended up contacting the FAA by phone to ask (email is available) and had a very informative conversion and like you and others mentioned the  recreational pilot receives a registration number that can be attached to any drone (over weight Mini's ) they pilot but has to be on any drone over 250 grams (.55 lbs.) following their attachment/marking guidelines.
2020-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules