Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone else have any issues with the compass on new update 1.1.2
12Next >
3791 50 2020-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
deathsquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have had it two days in a row now where the compass isn't working correctly. The first day after I updated I thought it must have just been a bad startup. But it happened again yesterday afternoon. I turned the remote on, then the drone, then connect my iphone xs, the drone is in front of me but the compass is reversed. It thinks the drone is behind me for some reason. To fix it, I literally have to turn everything off and start everything up again. I tried just turning the drone off and on first, no good. Then detached the device, opened compass etc but still no good. Had to turn it all off and on to fix it.
I wouldn't think too much of it only that I just updated to the new app update and it has now literally happened two different locations two days in a row. It's never happened to me before and I have been flying almost daily for months now. Yesterday I was flying at a cliff lookout with the sun behind me. I realised soon after flying the compass was off, but to get it back I had to open the map and follow my route. Never realised how much I rely on the compass for drone positioning.

Has anyone else had any compass issues since updating the app to 1.1.2? I'm on iPhone XS ios13.4.1.

2020-5-21
Use props
flcusat
lvl.3
United States

Following this.
2020-5-21
Use props
sbonev
Captain
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
Switzerland

i also noticed today that the usual calibration i do with the phone in the RC resulted in very wrong results, practically unusable. I will test more these days.
2020-5-21
Use props
Vlas
Captain
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Noticed zero difference but I'll keep an eye on it,.
2020-5-21
Use props
RivermanMM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42467 ft
Australia

iPhone 11 and iOS 13.4.1 all good after 3 batteries.
2020-5-21
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RivermanMM Posted at 5-21 13:45
iPhone 11 and iOS 13.4.1 all good after 3 batteries.

Weird. I'm flying after work today i'll see if it happens again. I've never had the issue before... I might hold off updating the app next time if it is going to cause issues for me.
2020-5-21
Use props
djiuser_oojc7OeFMthY
lvl.1

United States

I'm having the same exact issue with my Mavic Air 2. It's reversed 180 degree. I've installed all updates and uninstalled and re-installed the fly app. I've had this drone for 2 days. It's been like this since I started it the first time.
2020-5-21
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_oojc7OeFMthY Posted at 5-21 14:38
I'm having the same exact issue with my Mavic Air 2. It's reversed 180 degree. I've installed all updates and uninstalled and re-installed the fly app. I've had this drone for 2 days. It's been like this since I started it the first time.

Is it an android device? I have heard of that being an issue and having to buy a longer cable to sit the device the other way around in the controller to get it to work. For me the issue is new, and I can fix it by restarting everything. It's not really ideal though it should just work as it has for me for months... damn bugs.
2020-5-21
Use props
djiuser_oojc7OeFMthY
lvl.1

United States

deathsquad Posted at 5-21 14:40
Is it an android device? I have heard of that being an issue and having to buy a longer cable to sit the device the other way around in the controller to get it to work. For me the issue is new, and I can fix it by restarting everything. It's not really ideal though it should just work as it has for me for months... damn bugs.

Yes. it's a Pixel 3XL. It worked fine with my Mavic Mini, but, it sat in the opposite orientation in the controller.
2020-5-21
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_oojc7OeFMthY Posted at 5-21 15:40
Yes. it's a Pixel 3XL. It worked fine with my Mavic Mini, but, it sat in the opposite orientation in the controller.

Try flipping the phone around the other way in the controller. You may need a longer cable to do so but i've heard it fixes that issue.
2020-5-21
Use props
The Bitless
First Officer
Flight distance : 1472372 ft
Sweden

Yepp, same here. Works fine until AC starts hover. Compass back to normal when landed AC! ANDROID 8.
2020-5-21
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Compass is doing fine here.
2020-5-21
Use props
RivermanMM
Second Officer
Australia

deathsquad Posted at 5-21 14:35
Weird. I'm flying after work today i'll see if it happens again. I've never had the issue before... I might hold off updating the app next time if it is going to cause issues for me.

I was having trouble with iPhone 6+ and Fly app 1.0.5. After going to iPhone 11 and all versions of fly app from 1.0.5 until now it has been fine.
2020-5-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The compass at issue here is the one inside your phone, not the one on the aircraft. And it has nothing to do with the Fly App.
2020-5-21
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 5-21 21:07
The compass at issue here is the one inside your phone, not the one on the aircraft. And it has nothing to do with the Fly App.

I know. But the issue is new since I updated to the latest version of the app. I have been flying since December and it has never happened before. Now suddenly two days in a row a backwards compass error. It’s very strange. I think I will refrain from updating minor app updates next time. There was nothing wrong before I updated.
2020-5-21
Use props
RivermanMM
Second Officer
Australia

deathsquad Posted at 5-21 22:53
I know. But the issue is new since I updated to the latest version of the app. I have been flying since December and it has never happened before. Now suddenly two days in a row a backwards compass error. It’s very strange. I think I will refrain from updating minor app updates next time. There was nothing wrong before I updated.

Funny you say that. When I first got my mini I add zero compass problems until version 1.0.5. After that I changed 6+ to 11 to get back my compass. I alway blamed the phone... Not sure now
2020-5-21
Use props
djiuser_oojc7OeFMthY
lvl.1

United States

deathsquad Posted at 5-21 15:42
Try flipping the phone around the other way in the controller. You may need a longer cable to do so but i've heard it fixes that issue.

That seemed to take care of it. I'll know for sure when I get and and fly more today. I turned the cable around on the controller and it fit my phone fine.
2020-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

deathsquad Posted at 5-21 22:53

It’s very strange. I think I will refrain from updating minor app updates next time. There was nothing wrong before I updated.
It has nothing to do with the app or updating it.
It has everyting to do with your phone's compass sensor being deflected by magnetic effects that are part of your controller.
2020-5-22
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 5-22 17:05
It’s very strange. I think I will refrain from updating minor app updates next time. There was nothing wrong before I updated.
It has nothing to do with the app or updating it.
It has everyting to do with your phone's compass sensor being deflected by magnetic effects that are part of your controller.

I’m sorry, but For it not to happen for 6 months and to do it twice in two days after an update. To me that is the issue. It’s raining here so I can’t fly today but will have to test again when I can. Just too much of a coincidence.
2020-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

deathsquad Posted at 5-22 19:12
I’m sorry, but For it not to happen for 6 months and to do it twice in two days after an update. To me that is the issue. It’s raining here so I can’t fly today but will have to test again when I can. Just too much of a coincidence.
Just too much of a coincidence. Coincidence does not equal causation.
And when you know what actually can affect the orientation indicator (and what can't) and what app updates do, it's obvious that updating wouldn't have done what you imagine it did.

Get back to me if everyone that updates, is complaining about the same thing.
2020-5-22
Use props
Traxx119
Second Officer
Canada

The only time i seem to have a problem is when i forget to open Google Maps and scroll around the area i'm going to fly in. Flew today with.0500 FW, Fly App 1.1.2, iphone XR ios13.4.1  and compass was working fine. Will probably update to Fly 1.1.3 tonight and test again tomorrow.
2020-5-22
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
First Officer
Flight distance : 45459 ft
United Kingdom

Traxx119 Posted at 5-22 21:13
The only time i seem to have a problem is when i forget to open Google Maps and scroll around the area i'm going to fly in. Flew today with.0500 FW, Fly App 1.1.2, iphone XR ios13.4.1  and compass was working fine. Will probably update to Fly 1.1.3 tonight and test again tomorrow.

Be good to hear your findings
2020-5-22
Use props
sbonev
Captain
Switzerland

Labroides Posted at 5-22 19:58
Just too much of a coincidence. Coincidence does not equal causation.
And when you know what actually can affect the orientation indicator (and what can't) and what app updates do, it's obvious that updating wouldn't have done what you imagine it did.

it is not the phone, it is the app, they obviously changed something. Before the update i had to calibrate with the phone in the RC in order for the compass to be accurate. Now it simply doesn't work and is way off every time. Same places...
2020-5-23
Use props
Francoisd
Captain
Flight distance : 66352 ft
France

Hi,

For me on an Iphone 8, I had problems before the update and no more since.
2020-5-23
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Traxx119 Posted at 5-22 21:13
The only time i seem to have a problem is when i forget to open Google Maps and scroll around the area i'm going to fly in. Flew today with.0500 FW, Fly App 1.1.2, iphone XR ios13.4.1  and compass was working fine. Will probably update to Fly 1.1.3 tonight and test again tomorrow.

I just updated, hopefully that fixes it. Must have been some bugs for them to release an update a few days between each other.
2020-5-23
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

sbonev Posted at 5-23 01:13
it is not the phone, it is the app, they obviously changed something. Before the update i had to calibrate with the phone in the RC in order for the compass to be accurate. Now it simply doesn't work and is way off every time. Same places...

it is not the phone, it is the app, they obviously changed something.
The app just displays the data it gets from the drone and the phone's compass.
It doesn't modify it in any way.

Same places...

The place has nothing to do with it.
2020-5-23
Use props
bings
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi i am getting the same thing aswell but i think this is effecting the way the drone behaves i am having issues with the drone not flying in the direction i want it to this is very frustrating is any get the same problem? feel like i have waste 950 on something that is unusable.
2020-5-23
Use props
sbonev
Captain
Switzerland

Labroides Posted at 5-23 02:47
it is not the phone, it is the app, they obviously changed something.
The app just displays the data it gets from the drone and the phone's compass.
It doesn't modify it in any way.

well the app obviously interprets the data from the phone wrong, phone shows correct north, drone also, app does not. As simple as that. In that case the only problem can be the app, don't you agree...the place might do something in case you want to blame it on interferences, just saying, not that it matters.
2020-5-23
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

sbonev Posted at 5-23 04:33
well the app obviously interprets the data from the phone wrong, phone shows correct north, drone also, app does not. As simple as that. In that case the only problem can be the app, don't you agree...the place might do something in case you want to blame it on interferences, just saying, not that it matters.

Phone shows correct north, drone also, app does not. As simple as that.
That simple ??
Your phone shows correct north, does it?
Even when it's in the controller which is turned on?
2020-5-23
Use props
sbonev
Captain
Switzerland

Labroides Posted at 5-23 04:42
Phone shows correct north, drone also, app does not. As simple as that.
That simple ??
Your phone shows correct north, does it?

yes, did you miss the part calibrated  while in RC... i could draw it to you but i doubt you would understand it. I understand the urge to argue for the sake of it, but if you are bored, perhaps you can do something more constructive...Several people report same behavior, so there could be some truth to it. And you doubting everybody doesn't help. If you don't have the issue good for you, you can skip reading this topic, you'll do a favor to everybody.
2020-5-23
Use props
Traxx119
Second Officer
Canada

After updating the Fly App to 1.1.3 , i flew this morning and noticed no differences from my flights yesterday with 1.1.2  The compass worked fine the whole time. All flights were in Airplane Mode.
2020-5-23
Use props
Traxx119
Second Officer
Canada

deathsquad Posted at 5-23 01:21
I just updated, hopefully that fixes it. Must have been some bugs for them to release an update a few days between each other.

I was surprised to see another update so quick. Hope you have better luck with 1.1.3
2020-5-23
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
First Officer
United Kingdom

No compass at all on the phone screen just red flashing icon for me today ! That’s with version 1.1.13(88)and 0500 firmware on the mini !

Also tried to use manual transmission of the WiFi and managed 500 metres and disconnected did the test 4 times and that was the max on either auto or manual ! Anyone else having similar problems
2020-5-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

IPhone XR no problem, it’s not a problem with the app, but has always been a problem with some people’s phones and it has been well documented here. I wouldn’t worry about sbonev he has problems with everything, I’m certain that’s just some kind of mental thing ;+):::::
2020-5-25
Use props
Droneflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

I on one occasion had continuous problems calibrating the MM compass and this was due to me having the MM located close to the back of my pickup, I also have an aluminum canopy. This caused all sorts of problems with the calibration until I moved away from the vehicle and calibrated the compass. The MM compass seems to be very sensitive to any metal close by.
2020-5-25
Use props
Balooo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124019 ft
France

No more compass at all after 1.1.2: the arrow is just missing, on an android 10 device. It was working perfectly before last update
After posting this here, I made a test, last night, and for the first time, the MM asked for compass calibration of the smartphone (which I did with the RC on), but then still no compass arrow, still blinking red but without any notification.. wtf !
Going to try it in a different location today, longer and more accurately

2020-5-25
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I haven’t tried with the latest update yet as the weather has been poor here the last few days. It’s interesting to see it’s not just me with compass problems and the new update. It has been working fine for me for months. I was hoping 1.1.13 would fix it. I will try to fly this afternoon after work if the weather is better.
2020-5-25
Use props
mockingbirdmedia
First Officer
United Kingdom

Im still on firmware 0500 since the update (not downgraded yet)ive done 10 flights and not once has the compass worked so have been carefull to visualise where the mini is at all times.

The position icons bottom centre of the screen is always red and is usually white with the white triangle telling the user where the drone is in relation to where you are !

Using an iphone XR all up to date! Think it might be a downgrade to 0400

Im also on the fly version 1.1.13 (88) and has made no difference.

The phone has been calibrated also and the compass system works fine on the phone

2020-5-28
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Since the first FW update (not the 0500) for the MM i had to put my android phone the other way around in the RC clamps.
Now (still) my connector is left in the clamps and the top of the phone to the right.

So the app sure does do something to indicate the correct mobile device compass heading.

In my case now i.e. ; top of the device is facing North, so my RC is facing West. The bottem line of the 180 degree aircraft indicator in the fly app is now from South (left side) to North (right side).

So if the craft when flying forward west and the triangle indicator stays on the bottom line  ; turn your device the other way in the clamps.
Ps all know ofcourse ; but the heading of the triangle indicator gets its info from the drone, the postion if the indicator on the 180 degree scale its info from the mobile device.

cheers
JJB
2020-5-28
Use props
Occams Razor
Captain
Flight distance : 423497 ft
United States

This is my understanding of the situation.  Many of the DJI RC's produce electromagnetic interference or have components that will affect the compass readings for many cell phones.  Cell phones use a magnetometer which is similar to what drones use to determine direction using the Earth's magnetic field.  Which cell phones are affected will be dependent on the location of the compass components within the phone and possibly the shielding material used in the phone.  To offset this effect, some possible solutions are:

- Flip the phone 180 degrees in the holder which is what JJB suggest.  This will potentially move the magnetometer far enough away from the interference to allow it to function in a more accurate manner.  Since Day 1 with all firmware and Fly versions, the position of my compass has always been inaccurate with my iPhone 11 Pro.  Flipping the phone position 180 deg has produced the best results for me.

- Some of the newer generations of the iPhone have a "True North" option which does not use the magnetometer but I believe uses GPS information to determine compass direction.  In theory, this option should provide an accurate compass reading but it didn't for me.

- Calibrate the phone compass while it is attached to the RC.  This works similar to the method used for calibrating the magnetometer in your drone.   In theory, this too should be a good approach but users above have had inconsistent results.

I cannot explain why some of the above works for some people but not all.
2020-5-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules