6929 11 2020-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stromae
lvl.1
Flight distance : 82694 ft
Norway

Hi,

I just got my Mavic Air 2 today and was super excited to take it out for a spin. I chose to have the shoot both raw and jpg option enabled. While the JPGs look amazing the raw files looks just terrible... i am not sure if there is some settings i have put wrong or something but just looking at my files i can see that the resolution of the JPG is 4000x3000 while the raw version is 960x720, surely this is a mistake and i assume this is the reason why the raw files look so terrible... they look like cashed versions of the image... I cannot upload the pics here as they are way to large...

Anybody able to help??
2020-5-25
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Did you get the raw files from the SD?
2020-5-25
Use props
Stromae
lvl.1
Norway

Ice_2k Posted at 5-25 13:14
Did you get the raw files from the SD?

I transferred the files directly from the drone to my computer. The SD card I have is the one I purchased together with the drone.

Looking at the photos on my phone whilst connected to the drone also looked terrible.

Again the JPGs were fine so I am a bit confused
2020-5-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Which folder did you copy the files from, what are they named, and how are you viewing them?
2020-5-25
Use props
Stromae
lvl.1
Norway

MisterFrag Posted at 5-25 13:31
Which folder did you copy the files from, what are they named, and how are you viewing them?

Copied from the dcim folder where all the MP4 and JPEG files were. They are named dji0002.dng etc.
2020-5-25
Use props
Stromae
lvl.1
Norway

[SOLUTION] After scouering some other forums i discovered that this has been a flaw with other DJI Drones. What happens is that Windows Pictures simply mistakes the thumbnail for the acctual picture.

Opening the very same file in lightroom or PS resolves the issue and the file reads correctly.

Thanks all for questions
2020-5-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

What are you using to view the DNG files? Digital negatives have to be developed, but they also contain a low-resolution embedded thumbnail. Is it possible that you’re viewing that?
2020-5-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

Stromae Posted at 5-25 13:44
[SOLUTION] After scouering some other forums i discovered that this has been a flaw with other DJI Drones. What happens is that Windows Pictures simply mistakes the thumbnail for the acctual picture.

Opening the very same file in lightroom or PS resolves the issue and the file reads correctly.

It's not a flaw with DJI drones, the same thing would happen with any other DNG file regardless of what device or program created it. Windows Pictures doesn't have full DNG support and only displays the embedded thumbnail.
2020-5-25
Use props
DenisJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406867 ft
Slovenia

Tbh, if you opening raw with Windows pictures, you shouldn't use raw at all.
2020-5-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Stromae Posted at 5-25 13:44

What's really happening is that you are trying to open a raw image file with software that cannot read a raw image file.
But it can read the tiny thumbnail jpg which is inside the raw image file.

Do you know what a raw image file is?
Are you equipped to open and deal with a raw image file?
If not, don't bother with raw image files.
The jpg files are all most drone flyers would need almost all of the time anyway.
2020-5-25
Use props
Stromae
lvl.1
Norway

Labroides Posted at 5-25 17:57
What's really happening is that you are trying to open a raw image file with software that cannot read a raw image file.
But it can read the tiny thumbnail jpg which is inside the raw image file.

I am well equiped in the use of RAW files from regular cameras and use them quite frequently. But microsoft pictures has allways been able to either give me a blank page or acctually display the raw file. The showing of the thumbnail was the only thing throwing me off. Lightroom clearly states in the metadata that there is indeed an embeded preview file.

Playing around with the raw file allowed me to expose for the sky and recover a surprising amount of detail from the shaddows.. this camera has really surprised me!
2020-5-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Stromae. I am sorry for the trouble before and it is great to know that you were able for fix the said issue. For additional reference I will post an official DJI link on the difference between Raw and JPEG. Finally, thank you for the information that you have shared with us and please stay safe always.

https://store.dji.com/guides/jpeg-vs-raw-what-is-the-difference/
2020-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules