How to open body of Phantom 3
20826 12 2015-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marcel.heemsker
lvl.1

Netherlands

I crashed my Phantom 3 PRO in a tree, and now parts of the top body is not perfectly aligned inside the bottom body. My plan is to simply take the top body off, unbend some dents and put it back on top. Unfortunately the body is not as easy to open as the Phantom 2(+),

Any help or YouTube vids on how to open the body?

2015-6-16
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I had previously posted these in a different thread but if someone was searching for how to open the body you wouldn't find it that thread.  So... I may as well do it here to make it easier to find.

These photos will point out the significant differences between the Phantom 2 and Phantom 3 shells.  While the Phantom 2 shell was relatively easy to take apart the Phantom 3 has the addition of 12 locking tabs to deal with.  You'll need a couple of different screwdrivers or a set with T6 and T8 tips to remove all the screws (I'd recommend screwdrivers with long shafts) and then you will need to "pinch" the lower shell at those spots I indicated to get the locking tabs to release.

I also wanted to add a couple of the locations where might  get repair parts (if they ever get stocked):
   * http://extremeuas.com/products/phantom-3-parts/
   * https://www.rcdepothobbies.com/category_s/1820.htm

There are three of these locking tabs one each side.

The tabs located in the center between the arms are probably the most difficult to deal with.

This photo shows the changes in some of the screw locations, addition of the locking tabs as well as the difference between self tapping and machine screws.

This oblique view shows the tabs a little better.

And finally, should you want to look at the other thread here it is:  
Fixable - Glueable, tapeable, bendable or just Screwed?)
2015-6-16
Use props
marcel.heemsker
lvl.1

Netherlands

gil Posted at 2015-6-17 08:31
I had previously posted these in a different thread but if someone was searching for how to open the ...

Thanks a lot!

I unscrewed the whole thing but got only one arm loose. Will try tonight to see if I can undo the others.

I guess one or more tabs have broken off after the crash. Do you recommend I glue the top back together? This makes it more stable, but harder to open again. Or I could use a tie wrap around the arms.

2015-6-17
Use props
marcel.heemsker
lvl.1

Netherlands

just FYI, a week ago I wrote an email to DJI Europe support, today I got their reply:

There are screws on the down side of the drone. Thes is how it can be opened.

There are clamps on every arm. You have to squeeze it hart and then put something to hold it open while you are opening the next arm. You have to do it each arm in a row.
2015-6-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

marcel.heemsker Posted at 2015-6-17 16:30
Thanks a lot!

I unscrewed the whole thing but got only one arm loose. Will try tonight to see if  ...

OMG -- DO NOT USE GLUE!  Worst case scenario and you have another boo-boo you'll need a jackhammer to get it open.  
If it were me I would use TAPE with something called "E-Z-Fuse" or "Wrap fix".  These are different names for a self-fusing tape that only sticks to itself and does not leave a residue.  This would be a temporary fix until I could order a replacement body shell.

FuseTape3x4.jpg
2015-6-17
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

3M Super 33 or Super 88  electrical tape is available in different colors, including white. Tape the length of the seam so as to not block any of the  air vents.
2015-6-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Thought I would include a video I ran across on YouTube "How to open the DJI Phantom 3 - and a first look inside" by Simon Newton (he's the "On the kitchen table" guy)

Total time is 14m15s but If you've already got the screws out you can jump to the 5 minute mark where he goes through the actual process.
2015-7-3
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Have you tried to fly it since your crash?  If you get the "No MC Data" error you might want to checkout this post http://forum.dji.com/thread-19612-1-1.html In most cases when  the P3 impacts that hard your accelerometer can become stuck.

-Dog
2015-7-3
Use props
mlalloo
lvl.1

France

Is it just me looking on my iPhone as I can't see any photos. I'm away from any computer to check. Sorry to ask.
2015-8-30
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

mlalloo@eircom. Posted at 2015-8-30 10:30
Is it just me looking on my iPhone as I can't see any photos. I'm away from any computer to check. S ...

Its the phone - frustrating that you cant see everything on a phone - I use an iphone 6 with ios 9 beta
2015-8-30
Use props
mlalloo
lvl.1

France

Cheers. Much appreciated. I'm away and landed in a salt marsh. Compass now dead. Actually have a spare landing gear with compass with me but in absence of pics will miss some amazing shots. :-(
2015-8-30
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

mlalloo@eircom. Posted at 2015-8-30 17:30
Is it just me looking on my iPhone as I can't see any photos. I'm away from any computer to check. S ...

you can  click on settings of  your browser and request desktop version of the web site, then u will be able to see vids, pix, etc
2015-8-30
Use props
mlalloo
lvl.1

France

Tried it but when I get to the page I want it converts back!! Thank you all the same. :-)
2015-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules