I just Discovered a NEW DANGEROUS GLITCH!!!!
1688 30 2015-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Hey guys, mid flight today, I lost ALL telemetry! Everything turned to N/A The battery showed N/A Satelite counth turned off and all bars went dull, the map froze and did not show my current position, I had no idea where the Inspire was facing and how fast it was going or how high it was. This happened on the iOS App for the iPhone 6 plus. I landed the Inspire immediately (thank god I knew the location well enough to bring it back). However I noticed that the aricarft's setting remained the same...RTH was the same, the aircraft still remembered its home point and RTH altitutde. So everything was fine with the aircraft, but on my end I only saw what the camera was showing. I removed the battery, restarted the Inspire and restarted the remote and all the telemtry came back...Who has had this issue?!?!? This is a DANGEROUS GLITCH!!!!!
2015-6-16
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Could it be an app freeze?   I've had the iPad app close because of graphics intensity
2015-6-16
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-6-17 07:18
Could it be an app freeze?   I've had the iPad app close because of graphics intensity

No because I closed the App and reopened it...still no telemetry.
2015-6-16
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I had that happen once and that was due to the USB cord came oout of the RC....The display froze  but still had RC control and brought my bird back and landed it with full control...
2015-6-16
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-6-17 07:46
I had that happen once and that was due to the USB cord came oout of the RC....The display froze  bu ...

Yeah but the strange part was that the video from the camera was still showing live feed....weird!
2015-6-16
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

What makes it so dangerous if you had full control of the craft?  It sucks the telemetry data dropped, but your title seems like a bit of an over reaction, no?
2015-6-16
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

my friend that happens from time to time all you have to do close the app and reopen it again and everything should be fine it has happened to me and it will happen to a lot of people unfortunately that is something that just happens it is not a big deal and its not a danger. people depend too much on the software remember the bird can be flown without software so learn to fly it without the software practice practice practice for situations like this.
2015-6-16
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-6-17 08:39
my friend that happens from time to time all you have to do close the app and reopen it again and ev ...

I agree.  

I had the app go out once but still had 100% control of the bird.   Since clear line of site is required by law, I just flew home.     I only rely on the app to frame my shots and monitor battery level.
2015-6-16
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-6-17 08:39
my friend that happens from time to time all you have to do close the app and reopen it again and ev ...

I did reopen....nothing happened.
2015-6-16
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

method007 Posted at 2015-6-17 08:34
What makes it so dangerous if you had full control of the craft?  It sucks the telemetry data droppe ...

It is a big deal bro...not an over reaction, because this is an expectation, to get full telemetry.
2015-6-16
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-17 08:48
I agree.  

I had the app go out once but still had 100% control of the bird.   Since clear line o ...

Exactly. a lot of times I fly my inspire without the software nor the tablet, same thing goes for my inspire 3 and P2 it is a little bit smarte and harder to see but still I fly without the software. I use the software only for my videos and pictures.
at the best time to fly without any software or tablet is at night it's great because you can see it for miles
2015-6-16
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

mountmotor Posted at 2015-6-17 08:58
It is a big deal bro...not an over reaction, because this is an expectation, to get full telemetry ...

I'm not sure this is valid as a major concern.   

As long as you have control of the bird, look up, fly home.   

I see the app is an aid, not a vital tool, and no one should be relying on it to fly safely.

Call it an inconvenience or a promised feature not living up to your expectation, but really isn't a dangerous glitch as your eyes should be on the bird.

I always know where the bird is and what direction it's facing because I'm always watching it.

Or are you suggesting that you pilot through the app and not line of sight?

I'm just trying to see the real problem here from a safety point of view.
2015-6-16
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-6-17 08:59
Exactly. a lot of times I fly my inspire without the software nor the tablet, same thing goes for  ...

figuratively I hope...
2015-6-16
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-17 09:09
I'm not sure this is valid as a major concern.   

As long as you have control of the bird, look u ...

It can be a safety issue...you have to know how fast you're going and how high you are...line of site can only do so much...it can freak me out...always having my info and then having it disappear is not good...
2015-6-16
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

mountmotor Posted at 2015-6-17 09:19
It can be a safety issue...you have to know how fast you're going and how high you are...line of s ...

I still don't understand why you're looking at the app and not the Inspire.   

Think we'll have to agree to disagree since my position is you should trust your eyes 100% of the time and shouldn't be relying on the app for safety in any way.
2015-6-16
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-17 09:21
I still don't understand why you're looking at the app and not the Inspire.   

Think we'll have  ...

How are you supposed to know battery life just by looking at the Inspire?!?!!?!?!!?
2015-6-16
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-6-17 09:22
How are you supposed to know battery life just by looking at the Inspire?!?!!?!?!!?

Telemetry gone means no info on the battery....That's a big safety concern....
2015-6-16
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

get yourself a timer from the App Store for free
2015-6-16
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-6-17 09:25
get yourself a timer from the App Store for free

Lol, going old school here...it's freaky glitch, having all that info spoiled me ;)
2015-6-16
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-6-17 09:24
Telemetry gone means no info on the battery....That's a big safety concern....

when you drive your car if you drive a car you know with a full tank how many miles the car will travel. same thing with the drone you know that you have a full battery 100% and you know it can give you  20 minutes of continuous flight so you get yourself a timer put it for 18 minutes 19 20 minutes and use a timer to calculate how much battery juice you have
2015-6-16
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

If I read this right, you had camera image but nothing else.  I had this happen.  Here's the fix.  Tap the upper left corner where the home icon would normally be (the return to the Pilot main menu) .... telemetry should then return.

When it happened to me, I exited the app to crank up the brighness on my tablet.  When I returned to the app, all I had was the camera image. Restarting the app didn't fix the issue.  A tap where the little house "should be", and everything came back.

And has already been said....... VFR is not a suggestion.  It's the rules.
2015-6-16
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

As I said, battery life and video framing are all I use the app for.   

If the app crashes I fly home immediately.

Just common sense, not a dangerous safety issue.
2015-6-16
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

LoS - Line of Sight - ALWAYS.

2015-6-16
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

"N/A" ... this happens to me also ... on and off ... It´s usually for a matter of seconds only ... no big deal.
I am not sure how often this happens to me as my eyes are on the bird most of the time!   

In Sweden it´s very hard to get approval for flying out of sight!
To high risk ... I leave theese shoots for the guys with them big helicopters ...

I second every thing jimhare says about this ...

2015-6-16
Use props
Pgale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275207 ft
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-17 13:50
As I said, battery life and video framing are all I use the app for.   

If the app crashes I fly  ...

I agree, the UAS should always be flown line of sight. In most countries ITS THE LAW. The app and telemetry is a nice to have but most of the time when I'm flying, I don't even look at it apart from a regular check of the battery condition. So if the app does crash as it will do at some point, there's no issue, just return home. However, if you're flying illegally 2km away then you probably will have an issue.
2015-6-17
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Hi mountmotor, I have 2 questions:
1. Is the OSD data normal when issue happened? Can you see the shutter/EV/ISO value?
2. How did the gimble behave? Tilted?
Thank you!

2015-6-17
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield

!? !? !?
2015-6-17
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-6-17 18:27
1. Is the OSD data normal when issue happened? Can you see the sh ...

No, the only live feed I was getting from the aircraft was the video feed. The camera was not tilted.
2015-6-17
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-6-17 18:27
1. Is the OSD data normal when issue happened? Can you see the sh ...

This only happened once, and I believe it had to do with the remote because I after I restarted it, the OSD returned back to normal.
2015-6-17
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Mountmotor...Don't think you are going to win this one ...I have to agree with the consensus...Keep your eye on the ball...Don't panic and fly the bird back and land...
2015-6-17
Use props
Chelsea
lvl.1

United States

Well Mountmotor it could be worse.  I lost my whole drone on a flyaway.  I flew it off over a river mouth and I had it hovering in place and while I as changing the camera settings it went nuts.  Started to drift and all I could get it to do was spin.  So I turned it so it would drift towards me and it picked up speed so I tried to ground it.  As it whooshed past me I turn it towards some Rushes for a softer crash site and it cleared the rushes at about 30 knot and took a dive up river never to be seen again....   It happened in seconds.  

The next time I am just going to spin it in circles and hope that I am close to land...  

There should be some protocols for when this happens....  

I was surprised that the accelerometers didn't kick in and hold it in place better.  If it has any....?
2015-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules