Remote startup / control
526 4 2020-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Apologies if this has been asked before (tried search, hopeless!). Is it possible to pre-position the OP, on a tripod with the wireless adapter and start videoing remotely?  
I want to capture some nice footage of a woodpecker in the garden and the OP seemed like a good idea. I know roughly when it's likely to appear but it's wildlife and might have other things on its schedule!  Distance wise I'm thinking around 20ft.

2020-6-1
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

I don't believe this is possible at the moment - though apparently bluetooth is used to initially establish teh WiFi connection (sounds odd, but its been reported here a few times by DJI) so in theory a similar apporach to what Sony use on the FDR-X3000 coudl be used.

On the Sony, the phone app and the Live View Remote use Bluetooth to turn the camera on, after that WiFi is used for control and teh video stream.

That said, I've been remote filming with the OP on sessinos pof a couple of hours. I set the camera up with teh WiFi module attached and a USB-C power bank attached to teh WiFi module. I then control teh OP via the app. The power bank allows the OP to stay powered for much much longer than the internal battery, and because it not recording all of the time (I'm monitoring the live view for action I want to shoot) the OP doesn;t over heat and actually doesn;t use that much power anyway.

For filming the woodpecker, remember to switch off the start and stop recording beeps, though. That caught me out - I frighetened off a couple of rare birds that I'd managed to get in shot because I'd left the beep on... doh!
2020-6-1
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 6-1 02:04
I don't believe this is possible at the moment - though apparently bluetooth is used to initially establish teh WiFi connection (sounds odd, but its been reported here a few times by DJI) so in theory a similar apporach to what Sony use on the FDR-X3000 coudl be used.

On the Sony, the phone app and the Live View Remote use Bluetooth to turn the camera on, after that WiFi is used for control and teh video stream.

Thanks for that helpful insight.  I had wondered that if it was possible maybe the gimbal cycling at power up would do the scaring, hadn’t even though of the beeps!
Doing it your way, what sort of distance from the OP can you use?
2020-6-1
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

I was between about 5 and 10 metres away.

It also worked through a window about 5 metres away but I haven't tried much further than that.

You are right about the gimble calibration at start up, though. I hadn't thought of that!
2020-6-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. Unfortunately as of the moment this function ( remote startup / control ) for the DJI Osmo Pocket is not available. In addition, I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our DJI forum members who owns the DJI Osmo Pocket with regards to this inquiry. Thank you.
2020-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules