Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Petition to bring some sort of (Active) Tracking to the Mini
20217 554 2020-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115748 ft
Canada

Hey DJI! Hear our voice(s)!!

We, the Mavic Mini users, formally request that you bring Active Track 2.0 or 3.0 (or some sort of tracking) to the Mavic Mini. We have quick shot tracking without obstacle avoidance, so why can't we have full active track without obstacle avoidance?

We all feel that this is an "essential" feature that the Mini is missing and should be added to this amazing little drone!

Mavic Mini users... sign below!
Single SelectVote, Total 298 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

86.24% (257)
13.76% (41)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2020-6-2
Use props
First Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Replies reward +5

My advice is if it is a feature you want then you should probably buy a drone that supports it. Even if they added it to the mini it wouldn't be very good and solely software based. There are no forward sensors on the mini.
2020-6-2
Use props
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Canada

22340179 Posted at 6-2 17:40
My advice is if it is a feature you want then you should probably buy a drone that supports it. Even if they added it to the mini it wouldn't be very good and solely software based. There are no forward sensors on the mini.

I'm not the only person who wants this feature included/added to the mini: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=201134 (see the very first post) - over 450 posts...
there already is a form of active track for quick shots in the mini, so there is no reason why they can't expand that to manually control the mini while it tracks a subject/object - yes, you fly at your own risk with no obstacle avoidance, but having the ability to track an object while moving the mini around the object is still a plus!
2020-6-2
Use props
playtime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

You won't be  the last people always want something for nothing. And if it's that important you should have bought a drone that had it. Don't buy bottom of the line and expect all the bells and whistles.
2020-6-2
Use props
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Canada

whatever dude... considering that the Spark - which was a "bottom of the line" drone - has active track, there's no reason why the Mini can't have it - and the mini is a better drone than the Spark
2020-6-2
Use props
ABeardedItalian
First Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

BoxedSoul Posted at 6-2 18:35
whatever dude... considering that the Spark - which was a "bottom of the line" drone - has active track, there's no reason why the Mini can't have it - and the mini is a better drone than the Spark

The spark has obstacle avoidance, DJI has already stated that they won't bring it to the mini. With the release of the SDK in "July EST" 3rd party app's should provide support for follow me and other modes. Litche is the big one and recognized by DJI.
2020-6-2
Use props
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The spark has 3D sensors at the front of it. The mini doesn't...

2020-6-2
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

there's no reason why the Mini can't have it
No reason at all ... unless you count a lack of critical hardware features necessary to run active tracking.
2020-6-2
Use props
djiuser_Ex6xKDKstzxh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 538537 ft
France

22340179 Posted at 6-2 19:24
The spark has 3D sensors at the front of it. The mini doesn't...

[view_image]

certainly but that did not prevent DJI from implementing quickshots despite this absence of sensors. The decision to activate and control these modes remains the responsibility of the pilot
2020-6-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I highly doubt they will put active track on the mini with no sensors on it
2020-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I suspect the lack of sensors will stop this dead in its tracks.
2020-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you tried the workaround -
2020-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

So far it doesn’t look like to many care about this. I can see it in the next mini .
2020-6-3
Use props
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 6-3 01:10
Have you tried the workaround - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWuBDM9uHOQ

Ya, some cool “workarounds” for sure... I mostly shoot automotive videos and this could work for some situations... but I also do a lot of manual flying, and having the ability to “lock” on a subject and track it while I move the mini around would make things a lot easier... here’s an example of one of my shoots (all shot with the mini and edited on the DJI Fly app):
2020-6-3
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-2 21:09
No reason at all ... unless you count a lack of critical hardware features necessary to run active tracking.

Ok so just don’t count that.  Boom.
2020-6-3
Use props
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Canada

Labroides Posted at 6-2 21:09

What I am saying is that if they can have active tracking for Quick Shots - without sensors - they can surely implement some sort of tracking in regular flight modes - without sensors - and, as someone else said: "The decision to activate and control these modes remains the responsibility of the pilot." They could include a disclaimer just like the warnings in enhanced warning zones that pops up indicating that you are accepting full responsibility/liability for flying in this mode.
2020-6-3
Use props
Flokichan
lvl.4

Turkey

Tbh, you have a return to home feature that has it implemented without the sensors. If you have a building higher than your rth altitude. Boom. rip Mavic mini..

So I think they should Include the active track. Because we have an example of the "but there is no sensor for it brooo" argument.
I had all the chance to buy the air 2 but still went on with the mini. Because I want to hold hands with my gf on the beach while walking and take that video. And When I'm done I want to put it in my pocket. Not in the " flymore combo mavic 2 air case"(if you get what I mean)
Mavic air 2 has a big controller a big size and a fat weight which confronts you with country regulations.

I just want to track myself while fooling around with some couple of friends.

So ok lets do it like this dji.
Bait people into buying Mavic Air 2 first. and after the peak sales. Just let us have the mavic mini track feature will ya. I see you. I have an engineering management phd. I can relate
Just give a silent confirmation and we will wait like sheep no worries
2020-6-3
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

BoxedSoul Posted at 6-3 06:39
Ya, some cool “workarounds” for sure... I mostly shoot automotive videos and this could work for some situations... but I also do a lot of manual flying, and having the ability to “lock” on a subject and track it while I move the mini around would make things a lot easier... here’s an example of one of my shoots (all shot with the mini and edited on the DJI Fly app): https://youtu.be/S_xTHscoX30

Nice video. Shame about the front license plate takes away from the look of the car.
2020-6-3
Use props
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Canada

Visual Air Posted at 6-3 08:03
Nice video. Shame about the front license plate takes away from the look of the car.

Thanks! Still working on a full Premiere Pro edit that will also have some gimbal “rolling” footage...

Ontario, Canada requires both front and rear license plates, Quebec, Canada on the other hand, only requires rear plates... The owner lives in Ontario
2020-6-3
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

BoxedSoul Posted at 6-3 08:08
Thanks! Still working on a full Premiere Pro edit that will also have some gimbal “rolling” footage...

Ontario, Canada requires both front and rear license plates, Quebec, Canada on the other hand, only requires rear plates... The owner lives in Ontario

Yes i am here in Alberta and we only have the rear plate only.
2020-6-3
Use props
KDP +
Captain
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Maybe the same petition can be started in the community from the mavic enterprise.... These people are really busted!
2020-6-3
Use props
120ccpm
Captain
Flight distance : 1245115 ft
United States

Spotlight (keep the AC pointed at the subject, while the pilot remains responsible for flying) seems a much more realistic option for the MM, both from a technical and marketing point of view. A good compromise.
2020-6-3
Use props
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Officially DJI have commented on it and said it wouldn't be implemented. There are hardware limitations basically meaning even if they did add it, it wouldn't be very good. Try running from where you are in a quickshot and see how easy it is to lose you. The quickshots only have a 40m distance on the mini, they are 100m on the Spark. It's small size meant they had to trim off a few things that the Spark had to keep the weight down. If you truly need Active Track, buy a drone that has it. Don't buy a drone that doesn't and get angry they won't add it...
2020-6-3
Use props
JM.REYES
First Officer
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

With all my respect. I am getting tired of reading people who say that it does not have sensors, or that if you want active tracking that you buy a higher range. And I say: My Phantom 3 Advanced does NOT HAVE SENSORS, but it does have active tracking and I have NEVER missed the SENSORS, because there is no better "sensor" than the pilot's prudence. I also say, there are on the market, MUCH CHEAPER deons WITH THIS FEATURE, but none with the quality of DJI, nor do I want a more expensive DJI, because ALL THESE, weigh more than 250g. Please, it seems that there are people who even upset that this feature is heard by the MINI, but whether or not they want to recognize it, it is a VIABLE AND NECESSARY feature.
2020-6-3
Use props
JM.REYES
First Officer
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Flokichan Posted at 6-3 07:41
Tbh, you have a return to home feature that has it implemented without the sensors. If you have a building higher than your rth altitude. Boom. rip Mavic mini..

So I think they should Include the active track. Because we have an example of the "but there is no sensor for it brooo" argument.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOUR THOUGHT, IN A FEW LINE YOU HAVE SPEAKED FOR ME ALSO. THANK YOU.
2020-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JM.REYES Posted at 6-3 12:52
With all my respect. I am getting tired of reading people who say that it does not have sensors, or that if you want active tracking that you buy a higher range. And I say: My Phantom 3 Advanced does NOT HAVE SENSORS, but it does have active tracking and I have NEVER missed the SENSORS, because there is no better "sensor" than the pilot's prudence. I also say, there are on the market, MUCH CHEAPER deons WITH THIS FEATURE, but none with the quality of DJI, nor do I want a more expensive DJI, because ALL THESE, weigh more than 250g. Please, it seems that there are people who even upset that this feature is heard by the MINI, but whether or not they want to recognize it, it is a VIABLE AND NECESSARY feature.

I have seen those drones you talk about, they are basically toys and AT is as useless as tits on a fish.

You say that pilots prudence should be safety enough. But I wonder the world we live in if one was to use AT for Running , if user was to suddenly stop, and craft kept coming hitting him on the back of the head, I can see many saying this is not safe and wanting to sue the manufacturer, particularly if using this to track for instance children in bicycles etc.
So why would dji risk their reputation on for a few who say they’re responsible pilots, what would they have to gain.
Dji have never released a drone with AT without sensors, so it’s highly unlikely they’re going to start now. So those saying if you want AT in a dji drone then you will have to pay for it and if you don’t want to pay for it, then do without or buy the toy drone because threads like this are going to fall on deaf ears.
2020-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Flokichan Posted at 6-3 07:41

You have two chances of getting AT on Mavic Mini Very Slim chance and none. If your walking on the beach with your GF she might hold the RC while you hold the drone and now the Air doesn’t seem so burdensome. If she’s worth it you’ll get her AT videos.... ;+):::::
2020-6-3
Use props
djiuser_fWnm15REJJ7X
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16736 ft
United States

My birthday is this Friday y want for present the active track for my  mini please DJI give me that gift for my birthday.
2020-6-3
Use props
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 6-3 13:28
I have seen those drones you talk about, they are basically toys and AT is as useless as tits on a fish.

You say that pilots prudence should be safety enough. But I wonder the world we live in if one was to use AT for Running , if user was to suddenly stop, and craft kept coming hitting him on the back of the head, I can see many saying this is not safe and wanting to sue the manufacturer, particularly if using this to track for instance children in bicycles etc.

Which is why I mentioned that DJI could add in a disclaimer that you “use AT mode at your own risk”, and that “you assume all liability and responsibility for using AT mode” and you have to click an I agree and assume liability box before you can use AT on the Mini. It could be done - I live near a large airport, and regularly get pop up warnings about being in an enhanced fly zone (airport name highlighted) and that I have to check the box that says “I acknowledge and assume liability/responsibility for my actions” (which I believe gets entered into your flight logs) before I am able to take off. Just a thought.
Was also going to say, in most countries you need to register your drone and pass and obtain a RPAS/UAV pilot certificate and the pilot is responsible for their actions during the flight - not the drone manufacturer.... oh wait... the Mini is 249grams and doesn't fail under those restrictions/policies! Which is the main reason MANY of us have purchased the Mavic Mini in the first place!
2020-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BoxedSoul Posted at 6-3 14:33
Which is why I mentioned that DJI could add in a disclaimer that you “use AT mode at your own risk”, and that “you assume all liability and responsibility for using AT mode” and you have to click an I agree and assume liability box before you can use AT on the Mini. It could be done - I live near a large airport, and regularly get pop up warnings about being in an enhanced fly zone (airport name highlighted) and that I have to check the box that says “I acknowledge and assume liability/responsibility for my actions” (which I believe gets entered into your flight logs) before I am able to take off. Just a thought.

You’re asking for dji to implement AT with disclaimer attached in a drone that they feel is not safe to use in AT. We have to have a bit of savvy here, there is nothing in this now for dji and I firmly believe when SDK is released that no third party app developers will implement AT, but I can see waypoints and maybe a few other bits added post sdk release.
I think energy spent looking for Exp sensitivity settings and camera sharpness contrast etc would be much better spent.
2020-6-3
Use props
fans712e3504
Second Officer
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

JM.REYES Posted at 6-3 12:52
With all my respect. I am getting tired of reading people who say that it does not have sensors, or that if you want active tracking that you buy a higher range. And I say: My Phantom 3 Advanced does NOT HAVE SENSORS, but it does have active tracking and I have NEVER missed the SENSORS, because there is no better "sensor" than the pilot's prudence. I also say, there are on the market, MUCH CHEAPER deons WITH THIS FEATURE, but none with the quality of DJI, nor do I want a more expensive DJI, because ALL THESE, weigh more than 250g. Please, it seems that there are people who even upset that this feature is heard by the MINI, but whether or not they want to recognize it, it is a VIABLE AND NECESSARY feature.

Nevertheless I have seen DJI messages saying that DJI will not implement AT or waypoints to the Mini. They have the OA excuse. On the other habd I see DJI adding some features I value like AEB, Panorama in photo mode and spotlight, boomerang and asteroid on video mode,

For AT and waypoints if Litchi come up with a solution for the Mini I will buy their app.
2020-6-3
Use props
WrongWay Feldman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

Is this still a thing? I thought this horse had been beaten to death a while ago.
2020-6-3
Use props
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 6-3 15:09
Is this still a thing? I thought this horse had been beaten to death a while ago.

Still keeps coming up unfortunately... DJI don't even bother commenting on these topics anymore. They said no, you just have to accept it.

If you want AT get a MA2. The AT on that is amazing... I saw a video someone posted where it followed a guy on a bike through the forest dodging branches.

2020-6-3
Use props
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Canada

22340179 Posted at 6-3 15:21
Still keeps coming up unfortunately... DJI don't even bother commenting on these topics anymore. They said no, you just have to accept it.

If you want AT get a MA2. The AT on that is amazing... I saw a video someone posted where it followed a guy on a bike through the forest dodging branches.

Don’t get me wrong, the MA2 looks like a very impressive drone (and so far the reviews are impressive) and I wish I could go out and buy one tomorrow... but after buying the mini before the MA2 was even announced (mostly for the reasons that you don’t have to register it or have a pilot certificate - in Canada, and I think the USA too) I don’t have the money for the MA2 Flymore Combo (more than double the price of the Mini Flymore Combo) and for the amount of flying I do - mostly for car videos - I cant justify the extra cost, plus the hassle of getting Transport Canada certification to be able to fly it legally...

Oh, and I imagine a lot of people who bought the Mini are of a similar mindset?
2020-6-3
Use props
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

BoxedSoul Posted at 6-3 18:25
Don’t get me wrong, the MA2 looks like a very impressive drone (and so far the reviews are impressive) and I wish I could go out and buy one tomorrow... but after buying the mini before the MA2 was even announced (mostly for the reasons that you don’t have to register it or have a pilot certificate - in Canada, and I think the USA too) I don’t have the money for the MA2 Flymore Combo (more than double the price of the Mini Flymore Combo) and for the amount of flying I do - mostly for car videos - I cant justify the extra cost, plus the hassle of getting Transport Canada certification to be able to fly it legally...

Oh, and I imagine a lot of people who bought the Mini are of a similar mindset?

I understand. But really, the best you can hope for is for something like Litchi to feature Active tracking on the mini once the SDK is released. DJI have already said it is off the table.
BTW, what ever happened to the SDK release? Wasn't it meant to be in April or May?
2020-6-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

22340179 Posted at 6-3 19:08
I understand. But really, the best you can hope for is for something like Litchi to feature Active tracking on the mini once the SDK is released. DJI have already said it is off the table.
BTW, what ever happened to the SDK release? Wasn't it meant to be in April or May?

I did not hear that DJI had stated it was off the table, but if that is true, then there will be no support in the SDK for it, and therefore no chance that Litchi will provide the feature. Litchi and others can only code according to the calls provide in the SDK.
2020-6-3
Use props
Deucalion
Second Officer
Flight distance : 103091 ft
United States

WrongWay Feldman Posted at 6-3 15:09

You would think people could read. I wish now I had bought an MA2. I don't see people on that forum asking for the features of the pricier drones every 3 days. Maybe DJI is behind these active track SPAM threads. To force us to buy up to get away from it.
2020-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BoxedSoul Posted at 6-3 06:39
Ya, some cool “workarounds” for sure... I mostly shoot automotive videos and this could work for some situations... but I also do a lot of manual flying, and having the ability to “lock” on a subject and track it while I move the mini around would make things a lot easier... here’s an example of one of my shoots (all shot with the mini and edited on the DJI Fly app): https://youtu.be/S_xTHscoX30

Thats pretty cool.  
2020-6-4
Use props
Flokichan
lvl.4

Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 6-3 13:34
You have two chances of getting AT on Mavic Mini Very Slim chance and none. If your walking on the beach with your GF she might hold the RC while you hold the drone and now the Air doesn’t seem so burdensome. If she’s worth it you’ll get her AT videos.... ;+):::::

You know what you posted is just utter bs and you are just doing it to full on tilt me xD ahah
Bro come on... you get my point. Its not about the awesome tech that sells the mini. I want to go to Urjikistan or Fiberia or whatever country that we have no clue about and not drop our drones there just because of regulations.
And as I am a software engineer as a bsc. I know the weight reduction and everything has a huge take on the board/processing power whatever. I know it cant even handle a proper helix but still. I believe even if it is a veeery slight possibility it is a possibility. Set that aside trust me implementing gps waypointing to a system without any failsafe cases is easily doable in 1 man/day of coding. Troubleshooting the implementation is another story. I had a site called trakk.me which was basically like endomondo or whatever. It is possible... I BELIEVE
(yeah I made up those countries deal with it)
2020-6-4
Use props
Mountaindrone-Dronefocus
Captain
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

For sure we want it ;-)
But try to understand the marketing strategy....

Mavic Mini is a wonderfull drone for his price and size...
2020-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules